Review Season 2022 - Liked, Learnt, Hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had a bit of time to think about the season that was 2022, and we've now got all the time in the world to consider what we liked about the year, what we learnt about the list or the club, and what we hated about specific games or the season as a whole.

I'm interested to read what people thought of our season overall?

liked : progression of the youngsters
learned: we're a fair way off finals
hated: leaky defence. We have some great interceptors, but lacking a hulking big mobile defender

Liked: Too much to list. The development from younger players, Sam's media work and the ability to rise to the challenge against the better teams of the comp
Learned: The extent to which our boring game plan was protecting our defence from a worryingly leaky midfield
Hated: The lack of continuity for players who are very important going forward, wasn't happy not being able to get full seasons from CJ, Day, Reeves and co

I liked that we ended up about where I expected us to end up
I loved that we had so many injuries yet still ended up where I expected, which gives hope for next year
I also love that Kennett is nearly gone, but I hate that his choice for President was unopposed despite the campaign for change
I hated a couple of our losses where we just shat the bed and gave up

Overall a pretty good year and a better performance than 2021.

If you consider we could have/should have won against Carlton (-1), Pies (-4), Ess (blow out against injury riddled side in our worst performance), plus not far off Freo over there and the Dees. There’s about 3 or 4 extra wins which would have us pushing top 8.

For such a young developing side, that’s a decent result in my book.

Like: CMac, Ward, Duke, Lewis, Moore, DBG and the return of Sis and Gunston, plus ever reliable Hardwick

Learned: Midfield still needs some fire power and time to gel.

Disliked: As mentioned, the loss to the bombers. What a shambolic performance that was.

LIKED - That we got some good wins against top teams and that it wasn't on the back of the regular (older) suspects, but the younger crew. Newcombe, Lewis, Moore, Reeves, Nash, Morrison, etc.

LEARNED - We're in good hands with Sam.

HATED - Losing to Essendon. Jeff not leaving when he said he would. Sicily snub for AA.

Great thread.

Liked: Big tick to Sam and the development of our players (bar one). Fantastic year 1 of a rebuild. Exceeded expectations.

Learnt: We shouldn't rely on Gunston to be our best foil to Lewis. We desperately need to find another key forward in the coming years, too much rests on Lewis right now.

Hated: Didn't settle Day at half-back until the final month. Given the frustrating run he's had with his body the past few years, I don't think we made it easy on him this year. He looked frustrated and low on confidence before moving back to Half-back.

Liked winning, hated losing and learned, we are going to need a bigger boat if we want to win a flag 🤪

jaws GIF by Challenger

liked: beating the Cats (LOVED); seeing a bunch of super-exciting youngsters coming through; Duke Newcombe; excited for the AFLW team
learned: a bit more about our midfield not being up to it
hated: losing to *; injuries; umpires

(Log in to remove this ad.)

- we'll play Finals in 2023

Love
  • we attracted a Free Agent
  • we'll win the flag in 2024
  • scum implosion

Learn
  • Sam is good
  • Lewis is a Boss & will win Colemans
  • midfield dynamics is not good, even when individuals seemingly play good games
  • lots of Top 8 teams are not that good

Hate
  • Sicily snub for AA
  • losing to scum
  • injury list, especially Wingard, Reeves, Frost, Day & Lewis

Liked: Attractive game plan and time we gave to many younger players. The build is happening. Sam’s press conferences. Our continuing to back away from being backed by pokies. Our AFLW side’s ferocity.

Learnt: There is no dominant team out there. Consistency matters. We can beat Geelong but lose to Essendon! Depth matters.

Hated: Having our partnership with Tassie taken for granted by so many outside the club. Not having Cyril inside our tent. Losing hurts no matter your expectations. Finishing the season in August (again).

Liked - a clear and immediate shift in playing styles in the first year which the playing group appear to have bought into. Dylan Moore being a prime example.

Learned - nothing new but re-iterated both inexperience breeds inconsistency and all wins bred confidence.

Hated - injuries that restricted us getting out best team in the field at all.

Liked: Youf - and lots of it!
Learned: That I am getting a little tired about being more excited about October than September - but that's our reality for a bit longer.
Hated: The lack of respect to our players. Moore and Hardwick not even making the AA squad, Sicily not making the side and Nuke being treated with contempt by the media and some rising star voters was hard to cop.

Liked
-James Sicily putting in a season for the ages at centre half back (go and eat a d..k All Australian selectors)
  • Newk playing out of his skin, what a find for a mid season pick. Absolute bull and so light on his feet for a man that size.
  • Dylan Moore having a ripper of a season. This guy is hard as hell, reminds me a bit of Johnny Platten.
  • Mitch Lewis showing us what talent he possesses, if he stays healthy he could deadset be the best Key Forward in the comp next season
  • Sam Mitchell's performance as coach. Great attacking gameplan and so open and engaging with the media and fans.

Learnt
  • Our midfield is still underpowered and undermanned.
  • Our lack of forward line pressure is a worry
  • Need to draft another ruck this pre season. If I see Nash or Kossy in the ruck again next season I will dead set spew 🤢

Hated
  • The losses to the Blues and Essendon hurt. Especially the Essendon debacle.
  • Injuries to key players (Gunston, Reeves, etc) in areas of the ground we could least afford it
  • Multiple times we played players (especially the vets) when unfit (Wingard, Impey, Gunston) and it backfired big time

Liked

1. Positive game style.

2. Sicily. I think he’s the best general defender in the competition. All Australian snub one of the worst I’ve seen.

3. Newcombe. Second season and nominated by his teammates as 1 of 3 for the AFLPA MVP. Our best midfielder already and on a steep rate of improvement.

4. Moore. Pre-season I thought we needed one of our many HBFs to transition into midfield. None did, but Moore’s transition was a real positive.

5. Development / improvement. The following players were better by the end of the season than they were at the start: Newcombe, Moore, Lewis, Maginness, Blanck, Butler, Jeka, Macdonald, Ward, Morris, Nash, Morrison, Reeves.

Learnt

1. We might have to give up someone good from our area of strength (defence / half-back) to get that star power in the midfield/forward

2. Our 2021 drafting was first class: Newcombe is a star. Ward will be. McDonald could be. Butler looks good too.

Hated

1. Midfield. We will not play finals until it is significantly strengthened.

2. None of our young half backs progressed or excelled in new roles.

3. At the end of the day, we finished 13th and have now gone 7 years without winning a final.

4. Kennett is still President. He played everyone for chumps, just like I thought.

Last edited:
Liked: Watching the youth get regular games. MacDonald, Ward, Newcombe will be serious players down the track. Serong and Butler show great promise too.
Loved: Sam Mitchel's message. Across various platforms (podcasts, press conferences etc.) he comes across as a very thoughtful coach. Honesty and consistency in the message was great. Maybe just a fresh voice after so many years of Clarko!
Hated: The $wans and Scum fade outs. Would rather lose by a point than be completely uncompetitive for a half.

Learnt - you don't need to waste a top 10 draft pick on key defence when players like blank are available in mid season drafts

I don't entirely disagree with this notion. Far easier to secure an above KPD outside of the elite end of the draft than it is a midfielder.

However, there was no other option at our selection in the 2020 draft than DGB.

He was one of the few draftees who actually managed to play that season. Had more exposed form. At a high level also.

It wasn't a midfield heavy draft crop.

1. Jamara Ugle-Hagen (Tall forward)
2. Riley Thilthorp (ruck/fwd)
3. Will Phillips (midfielder who went before our first pick)
4. Logan Macdonald (Tall forward)
5. We bid on Braeden Campbell
6. DGB (tall defender)
7. Elijah Hollands (HERE is where I see an argument. However he was a complete write-off for his first season due to an ACL injury. Buyer beware).
8. Nik Cox (200cm wing/CHB)
9. Archie Perkins (explosive mid/fwd. Only player outside of Hollands you could make an argument for)
10. Zach Reid (Tall defender)

So in the top 10 there was literally only 1 pure midfielder (Phillips) and he was gone before our first selection.
DGB was the best available choice at pick 6. As simple as that.

I don't entirely disagree with this notion. Far easier to secure an above KPD outside of the elite end of the draft than it is a midfielder.

However, there was no other option at our selection in the 2020 draft than DGB.

He was one of the few draftees who actually managed to play that season. Had more exposed form. At a high level also.

It wasn't a midfield heavy draft crop.

1. Jamara Ugle-Hagen (Tall forward)
2. Riley Thilthorp (ruck/fwd)
3. Will Phillips (midfielder who went before our first pick)
4. Logan Macdonald (Tall forward)
5. We bid on Braeden Campbell
6. DGB (tall defender)
7. Elijah Hollands (HERE is where I see an argument. However he was a complete write-off for his first season due to an ACL injury. Buyer beware).
8. Nik Cox (200cm wing/CHB)
9. Archie Perkins (explosive mid/fwd. Only player outside of Hollands you could make an argument for)
10. Zach Reid (Tall defender)

So in the top 10 there was literally only 1 pure midfielder (Phillips) and he was gone before our first selection.
DGB was the best available choice at pick 6. As simple as that.
Overall looking like a pretty weak draft TBH.

Early days off course.

Overall looking like a pretty weak draft TBH.

Early days off course.

Compromised year. I don't blame the boys.

Was all about finding diamonds in the rough.

Would be pretty great if we could end up with 2 first rounders from that season by acquiring Bruhn.

Have high hopes for both he and DGB as their careers evolve.

Like - Our youth policy

Learnt - The future will be excting with Sam coaching

Hate - Age catching up with our premiership heroS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back