AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Adelaide v Collingwood
Sunday 18 September
12:10pm EST/ 11:40am CST
Victoria Park

Adelaide overran a gutsy North Melbourne side at Unley, while Collingwood won a hard fought match against Geelong.

Can we inflict Collingwood's first loss of the season (and also do something the men's side couldn't in win a match at Victoria Park)?

Last edited:

Looks like we're continuing our trend of somewhat baffling selections.

In: L.Whiteley, M.McKinnon, J.Simmons, N.Kelly
Out: M.Dowrick (omitted), B.Tonon (omitted), Z.Prowse (omitted), D.Ponter (injured)

Simmons back, not sure what to make of that. Where is she going to play? Down back covering Dowrick I guess? I assume Whiteley is in for Ponter.

Ponter being out hurts alot. Quad injury at training apparently, hopefully she won't be out for long!

Out: M.Dowrick (omitted), B.Tonon (omitted), Z.Prowse (omitted), D.Ponter (injured)

Simmons back, not sure what to make of that. Where is she going to play? Down back covering Dowrick I guess? I assume Whiteley is in for Ponter.

Ponter being out hurts alot. Quad injury at training apparently, hopefully she won't be out for long!
Ponter is a BIG out, considering our forward line has been struggling.

I don’t mind McKinnon and Kelly back, the other 2 inclusions are non-entities. Dowrick not good enough but I think Ward lucky to stay in and Dowrick drop out, Hannah Button barely looks to be able to play the sport these days yet escapes the axe week after week. Allen also lucky to stay in after her ordinary display last week.

You’d think Ward might be moved forward if they want to play Simmons in defence, don’t know why you would play Simmons there though given last season she showed how slow and hesitant she is to actually kick the ball.

Last time Simmons just looked lost, like she wasn't sure what her role was meant to be. Forget about being slow and hesitant to kick the ball, she barely got her hands on it in the first place. She seemed to be perpetually half a kick away from the ball at all times, confused about whether to come at the ball or spread for the next link in the chain. If they're bringing her in this time I hope it's for a very well-defined role.

Whiteley will presumably resume her role up forward while Ponter is out, Kelly comes in to cover Tonon, McKinnon replaced Prowse. That leaves Simmons replacing Dowrick. Honestly, I would have preferred us to just bring Rajcic back in, but I guess this is a chance to see what Simmons has got. For better or worse, we're playing a number of different players this year.

Still, maybe McKinnon will play primarily back and they'll give Simmons a run as a deep forward? She's fairly tall and athletic, maybe she can take a mark and think her way through a set shot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a great habit of hand balling to someone in a worse position than we are.

I am not sure why we also insist on trying to get clean possession when we are surrounded by opposition when a kick off the ground could provide a better outcome.

Nice to see that Collingwood brought their own umpires ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back