Prediction Sell me on Port Adelaide 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
There seems to be a lot of buzz around Kenny (aka Lenny) and the supposed star loaded recruiting PAFC did during the trade.period, and perhaps rightfully so, however I do not think Port Adelaide addressed their desperate needs (especially in tbe key position front) during the draft and trade period, and I honestly think they will ne exposed from an offensive midfield and forward line perspective (esp under.Ken's style of.coaching)

I have been wrong before and am nor ashamed to put my hand up about precious failed predictions, but I look at Port's current list and their arguably average National Draft recruits and their on field losses (like the brilliant and grossly underrated Robbie Gray) and I see no reason why to be excited about Port Adelaide in 2023 (least from a supporter's perspective)

I believe PAFC is going to finish bottom 4 in 2023, and possible Spoon candidates.

There seems to be a lot of buzz around Kenny (aka Lenny) and the supposed star loaded recruiting PAFC did during the trade.period, and perhaps rightfully so, however I do not think Port Adelaide addressed their desperate needs (especially in tbe key position front) during the draft and trade period, and I honestly think they will ne exposed from an offensive midfield and forward line perspective (esp under.Ken's style of.coaching)

I have been wrong before and am nor ashamed to put my hand up about precious failed predictions, but I look at Port's current list and their arguably average National Draft recruits and their on field losses (like the brilliant and grossly underrated Robbie Gray) and I see no reason why to be excited about Port Adelaide in 2023 (least from a supporter's perspective)

I believe PAFC is going to finish bottom 4 in 2023, and possible Spoon candidates.
Gray was a champ but hardly meaningfully impactful last year. Amons run will be missed but hardly a game breaker.

JHF and Junior straight into the best 22.
Another year of their young twin talls up front developing and a Brownlow medalist in the middle.

What’s your reasoning for them to regress?

While Port do have one hand tied behind their back with Hinkley still in charge there is no way they will finish bottom 6.

You honestly think that teams like North, Hawks, Giants, West Coast will finish higher than Port at the end of the season?

There is more chance of Carlton finishing bottom 6 than Port.

I think the suggestion of bottom 4 is ridiculous with the current list. We are certainly missing a big key defender down back but aside from that, the list is in strong shape across the park.

Not suggesting it’s a top 4 list but we should play finals and if we don’t, that’s a failure that will likely come back to one thing again.

Have to remember last season, Dixon missed half the year and didn’t get a pre season in. Lycett missed the year basically and we didn’t have a ruckman. Aliir injured his ankle round 1 and was limited most of the year. Mckenzie and Clurey were injured and heavily impacted our defence. Fantasia was missing all year (no surprise though), Bergman missed half the year injured/illness, Wines carried a knee injury that’s required 3 months of rehab post surgery and then all the other niggles throughout the year. That’s 7/8 best 22 players that at times we’re missing all at once last year, that’s hard the carry and build momentum.

In all, the list was heavily impacted by injury and we didn’t have enough depth to carry that many key positions being down all at once.

A forward line of Marshall, Georgiades, Rioli and Fantasia should be dangerous if they get enough good delivery.

A midfield with Rozee, Butters, Wines, JHF, Boak, Bergman and Duursma should be able to deliver that.

Defence remains our Achilles heel and why we won’t challenge.

However talk of bottom 4 I think is just ridiculous unless the list is decimated with injury.

The Power mob over at Alberton would be overjoyed and excited to happily sell you on to their club in Port Adelaide for 2023 and beyond Elmer_Judd if that’s what you are interested in :)

As an premium extra for your future services to such a wonderful club in the future - would you like the Top 4 finish but straight sets final exit or the Bottom 4 but massive promise to improve in 2024 package deal, both also include special tarps that you can put around the stadium as well ;)

Should warn you though, you trading to the Power now and choosing any of those deals will mean Ken Hinkley will continue to be the coach in 2024 and for the whole existence of the club, but this ain’t a bad thing as you will continue to have the time of the life with mediocrity :thumbsu:

Anyways, glad you have provided your alliance to Port Adelaide in the future, and help the rest of the 17 clubs as a result of this excellent decision :port:

*No refunds can now take place with your new alliance, have fun Elmer_Judd :smallfooty:

• Banned
Gray was a champ but hardly meaningfully impactful last year. Amons run will be missed but hardly a game breaker.

Another year of their young twin talls up front developing and a Brownlow medalist in the middle.

I don't think they (Port) addressed their most serious needs in the trade and draft period and their key position slots (especially the backline) concerns me.

On exposed form (AFL level at least). I feel like Port Adelaide have a list that has sizable gaps that can and will be exploited in 2023.

Yes, a significant part of that is due to coaching and letting Ken indulge in arguably lax on field efforts most coaches wouldn't cop in their Hen House.

As most (especially PAFC supporters) observers have said, Port Adelaide ain't doing to achieve anything significant until a new coaching staff Is implemented

I don’t necessarily see them regressing. Just don’t see them progressing.

As most (especially PAFC supporters) observers have said, Port Adelaide ain't doing to achieve anything significant until a new coaching staff Is implemented
There’s a significant difference in your statement here compared to your first post where you had them bottom four and possible spoon condensers.

To be the latter they would need a 2-4 win season.

Not sure how you have that vision of them dropping so far.

I don't think they (Port) addressed their most serious needs in the trade and draft period and their key position slots (especially the backline) concerns me.

On exposed form (AFL level at least). I feel like Port Adelaide have a list that has sizable gaps that can and will be exploited in 2023.

Yes, a significant part of that is due to coaching and letting Ken indulge in arguably lax on field efforts most coaches wouldn't cop in their Hen House.

From an outsiders perspective, what do you see as our sizeable list gaps outside of our key defensive stocks as you’ve mentioned ?

I’d say otherwise our forwards are strong (poor coaching limits them more so) and a number of young talls still developing, a young core of highly rated young players in the midfield matched by some strong senior members and then a pretty solid defensive group outside of the key defenders.

Aside from the key defenders, where do you see the list lacking sizeably?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they will get back to the level they were in 2020/21. I'm expecting them to bounce back and push for top 4.

See I got to this bit and realised, poor old Elmers posted his Bay13 thread on the MB.

From an outsiders perspective, what do you see as our sizeable list gaps outside of our key defensive stocks as you’ve mentioned ?

I’d say otherwise our forwards are strong (poor coaching limits them more so) and a number of young talls still developing, a young core of highly rated young players in the midfield matched by some strong senior members and then a pretty solid defensive group outside of the key defenders.

Aside from the key defenders, where do you see the list lacking sizeably?

Pacey engine room (midfield) a lack of true, proven KPF stock (Dixon's cooked imo) and am not sold on your ruck prospects either.

I don't believe your list bats deep either, if (hopefully not) Port Adelaide sustain injuries to key personnel next season, I think it's pretty frim

While Port do have one hand tied behind their back with Hinkley still in charge there is no way they will finish bottom 6.

You honestly think that teams like North, Hawks, Giants, West Coast will finish higher than Port at the end of the season?

There is more chance of Carlton finishing bottom 6 than Port.

You only named 4 clubs.

Pacey engine room (midfield) a lack of true, proven KPF stock (Dixon's cooked imo) and am not sold on your ruck prospects either.

I don't believe your list bats deep either, if (hopefully not) Port Adelaide sustain injuries to key personnel next season, I think it's pretty frim

Agree our depth is thin and an issue which will stop us contending at the moment as we saw last season when injuries hit.

Disagree though that we don’t have a pacy engine room with Rozee, Butters and now JHF moving in there hopefully permanently. We saw Rozee make that transition and hopefully Butters and JHF make that step this year.

Also think we are quite ok with key forwards. Marshall hit his straps this year with 40+ goals and still improving and then Georgiades should also improve after a poor year mainly due to accuracy. If they both kick 40-50+ with Dixon, Finlayson, Fantasia and Rioli as support I don’t see our forward line being an issue. Don’t think it’s a stretch to expect 40+ from Georgiades either after he kicked 30+ in his first year.

Also agree that our ruck is a bit thin. Hopefully Visentini and Hayes prove they can take over from Lycett this year (many think Hayes already should have).

Not expecting miracles from the list but certainly think it’s finals worthy if they perform.

Okay DVB.

I had them around 6 or 7th in my ladder predictor thinking that JHF, Rioli, Few good young players should take their game to another level / new more consistent.

But when you consider the lines:

Forwards: top 6 in the league
Mids: top 6
Rucks: bottom 6
Defence: bottom 6
Coaching: bottom 8

Depth: questionable.

Does that equal a top 6 finish? Not sure.

I see Port as in that middle band of teams fighting it out for the last couple of spots in the 8. Wouldn’t surprise if they finished ~7th and made 2nd week of finals, but equally wouldn’t surprise if they finished as low as 12th. From a death ride perspective, would obviously prefer the latter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back