SFL Division 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

BA's SFL top 40 again been a good read. SFL Facebook asking for picks on predicted top 5... Any thoughts?

Super freak, best you keep your opinion to yourself!

I'm thinking James will be back a couple of pegs this year, Williamson at number 1, the rest not sure... Maybe rayson, James, arvo and Gilbert in no order?!!

How'd we ( especially you ) forget Boots Johnstone.

Didn't go and watch today's game. Why was it so low scoring? Is East Brighton's ground already stuffed from the rain we had or was it strong defence from both sides.? Ridgeway goaless? First time in years. Result wasn't a surprise given the vampires pickups but I thought it would be a shootout on a good day.

East Brighton were without Williamson but St Pauls were without McIntyre bros.

Ridgway looks to have dropped a third of his body weight, looks a totally different player to when he was in the SFL last. Set up a couple of goals though

I think you'll find that A McIntyre played. Blackwood also missed for St Pauls. EB were also missing Matt Jamieson, Orourke, Percy and Jansen. Conditions were fine. Just a tightly fought game between two tough sides.

East Brighton were without Williamson but St Pauls were without McIntyre bros.

Ridgway looks to have dropped a third of his body weight, looks a totally different player to when he was in the SFL last. Set up a couple of goals though
inki

Rayson, Cathcart and Allan all with serious injuries. A bit windy so the game was scrappy and very much contested.

Terrible news for both E.Bri & St.Pauls. I missed the first 10 mins and really wanted to see Rayson played but he was already off injured. I was surprised to see Cathcart come back on after being carried off in the 1st quarter. Least Allan will be back this season whereas the others could be gone for the year.
It was low scoring but engrossing as both sides were very hard at it and both tackled very well
E.Bri were missing more stars but you wouldn't think James & Ridgeway will only combine for 1 goal next time. Bowman on James was great to watch 2 guns up against each other.
Dahl was too big & strong in the ruck but E.Bri didn't capitalize without Williamson & Rayson there.
Im thinking if you are going to win the flag this year you are gonna have to beat one of these sides super.

Terrible news for both E.Bri & St.Pauls. I missed the first 10 mins and really wanted to see Rayson played but he was already off injured. I was surprised to see Cathcart come back on after being carried off in the 1st quarter. Least Allan will be back this season whereas the others could be gone for the year.
It was low scoring but engrossing as both sides were very hard at it and both tackled very well
E.Bri were missing more stars but you wouldn't think James & Ridgeway will only combine for 1 goal next time. Bowman on James was great to watch 2 guns up against each other.
Dahl was too big & strong in the ruck but E.Bri didn't capitalize without Williamson & Rayson there.
Im thinking if you are going to win the flag this year you are gonna have to beat one of these sides super.

I can honestly say that was one of the toughest games i've been involved in. Hard, unrelenting, uncomprimising attack on the football from both sides and the injuries show that it was played as such.

EB losing Rayson early hurt them, but their other tier mids stepped up and really hunted the football at every opportunity.

A few skill errors at important times cost us, and i think in that last qtr only 5 points down we had the ball locked in up forward just couldn't get that goal, EB run the length of the field and score....game over.

Both sides had players missing, for us it was T.McIntyre, Tim Blackwood, Brendan Dawes, Jay Steet, Jarryd Allan (part game), Cal Cathcart (part game).

EB had Rayson (gone in first 5 minutes), Williamson, Percy, O'Rourke, Jensen, M.Jameison.

Hopefully Cathcart/Rayson escape serious injury. Allan will be back in 4 - 8 weeks depending on how quickly he heals.

Today I feel like a trucks hit me, welcome back football.........

I can honestly say that was one of the toughest games i've been involved in. Hard, unrelenting, uncomprimising attack on the football from both sides and the injuries show that it was played as such.

EB losing Rayson early hurt them, but their other tier mids stepped up and really hunted the football at every opportunity.

A few skill errors at important times cost us, and i think in that last qtr only 5 points down we had the ball locked in up forward just couldn't get that goal, EB run the length of the field and score....game over.

Both sides had players missing, for us it was T.McIntyre, Tim Blackwood, Brendan Dawes, Jay Steet, Jarryd Allan (part game), Cal Cathcart (part game).

EB had Rayson (gone in first 5 minutes), Williamson, Percy, O'Rourke, Jensen, M.Jameison.

Hopefully Cathcart/Rayson escape serious injury. Allan will be back in 4 - 8 weeks depending on how quickly he heals.

Today I feel like a trucks hit me, welcome back football.........
Got it spot on GT. It was a tough bruising affair one of the hardest I've seen in recent times. Credit to both teams and played in the right spirit. Shame about the injury list as you always want the best available playing but a gripping contest which wasn't over until the last 3 minutes. Great crowd wasn't let down by the game between 2 very talented, tough football teams. Great battle between Bowman and James with honours well and truly with Bowman. A great player!

Last edited:
Rayson, Cathcart and Allan all with serious injuries. A bit windy so the game was scrappy and very much contested.

Any news on Rayson & Cathcart?
Fingers crossed as both bring people to the football and it would be a real shame for the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both ACLs apparently. Horrible news for both players, their clubs and the comp.

Rayson ACL confirmed yesterday.Yep very disappointing for player and club. Only positive is better now than end of year as we have plenty of time to adjust and it gives him more time to be ready for season 2015 in which he has indicated he is already looking forward too.
Good luck to all clubs & players this year that we suffer minimal injuries as it doesn't matter if your a battling div 3 reserves player or a star of div 1, serious injuries are a real deterrent of playing footy.

Rayson ACL confirmed yesterday.Yep very disappointing for player and club. Only positive is better now than end of year as we have plenty of time to adjust and it gives him more time to be ready for season 2015 in which he has indicated he is already looking forward too.
Good luck to all clubs & players this year that we suffer minimal injuries as it doesn't matter if your a battling div 3 reserves player or a star of div 1, serious injuries are a real deterrent of playing footy.

Cathcart also confirmed yesterday ACL, he's pretty shattered as he was looking to have a big year. It's a shame that these injuries occur and i wish both players successful surgery and a speedy recovery.

Whilst the outpouring of emotion for both injured players is touching I'm not convinced there are not a few breathing a collective sigh of relief. Speedy recovery to both boys but that's footy and a great example why players need to insure themselves. It's a contact sport and injuries happen weekly

Yes very poor decision
Can someone explain to me why Cathcart was put back on in the first place?

In certain instances with ACL injuries, particularly when a player does not necessarily feel or hear a 'pop', following the injury the pain can settle quite dramatically and the acute muscle guarding sets in giving the player the impression that the knee is fine and was just a tweak. SO when they do straight line running they feel ok, without pain, it is the change of direction which causes the giving way and instability. Remember Luke Ball a couple of years ago for Collingwood when he did his and was put back on. If it can happen at that level, then it can most definitely happen at local level. If this happens to anyone, the next day is the big test. If you wake up the following day and your knee is a balloon and you cannot weight bear, you are in trouble.

In certain instances with ACL injuries, particularly when a player does not necessarily feel or hear a 'pop', following the injury the pain can settle quite dramatically and the acute muscle guarding sets in giving the player the impression that the knee is fine and was just a tweak. SO when they do straight line running they feel ok, without pain, it is the change of direction which causes the giving way and instability. Remember Luke Ball a couple of years ago for Collingwood when he did his and was put back on. If it can happen at that level, then it can most definitely happen at local level. If this happens to anyone, the next day is the big test. If you wake up the following day and your knee is a balloon and you cannot weight bear, you are in trouble.

Well said...did one years ago. Hurt like s**t at the time...jogged off felt ok...went and played the last quarter (doing bugger all mind you) woke up next day to a basketball for a knee. If you just do the ACL and most of the rest of the knee is intact you can have these types of things occur

Well said...did one years ago. Hurt like s**t at the time...jogged off felt ok...went and played the last quarter (doing bugger all mind you) woke up next day to a basketball for a knee. If you just do the ACL and most of the rest of the knee is intact you can have these types of things occur

Spot on, easy for others to question the trainers but a lot of the time some injuries won't surface till later, or some feel immediate pain for what turns out to be nothing at all. Cal made the call to go on as he felt fine after a brief stint on the bench.

I think it is fair to say the gap between the Heighters and the Tunners might have closed a little. CH have lost a load of quality players over the last couple of years and picked up very little. Tunners have picked up a few talented players and lost little in the off season. Should be a bumper crowd. Will be good to see the massive new facilities at Ross St.

Who have they picked up? They surely didn't have too much quality to lose...

I think it is fair to say the gap between the Heighters and the Tunners might have closed a little. CH have lost a load of quality players over the last couple of years and picked up very little. Tunners have picked up a few talented players and lost little in the off season. Should be a bumper crowd. Will be good to see the massive new facilities at Ross St.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back