Should second world countries be allowed to host major world events?

Remove this Banner Ad

Like what one Brazilian protestor said, "one month of fun for three years of pain".

Law enforcement are as responsible for the crime, murder and drug trafficking as the gangs. Maybe moreso.

Anyway, what I want to know is how can free to air SBS on limited funds produce such an amazing app and online livestreaming service, with multi stream functionality, perfect HD, brilliant interface with all the stats, matchups, tactics, zoom functionality, six angles etc. yet the AFL and Telstra fail so miserably.

Sometimes non taxpayer funded equivalents with big budgets just don't do it better.
The Afl is not a normal private company. It is a monopoly run by mostly ex footballers.

I'm not sure what the deal with FIFA and the regulation of stadiums is, but I'd assume at least the World Cup stadiums will be used in the future for Brazilian league matches, international friendlies i.e. there is a use for them, even if they did spend big on some.

Come the Olympics there will be mega-pool facilities and facilities for a world class diving competition :drunk:Brazil, the diving powerhouse. Or track cycling. Or whatever sport Brazil will fork out $$$ to build a facility for with a very low output from their own people for future use...no wonder the people are ****** off when education and normal everyday things we take for granted are put on the backburner

N.B. Yes I know it's a little more complicated than that, but it doesn't surprise me that Brazil went for the WC, soccer-mad nation and I guess the politicians would have thought 2 positive outcomes 1) $$ in their pocket and 2) raise morale...
Nope, the brand new venue used for England V Italy was in a city in the middle of the Amazon and has no purpose after the World Cup. Some talk it will be turned into a prison...

Nope, the brand new venue used for England V Italy was in a city in the middle of the Amazon and has no purpose after the World Cup. Some talk it will be turned into a prison...

So in a country of 200 Million soccer mad people, there isn't enough demand for a dozen stadiums? Really?

So in a country of 200 Million soccer mad people, there isn't enough demand for a dozen stadiums? Really?
I'd be making sure a large portion of those 200 million people have access to clean water and electricity personally before I go building a brand new 40k stadium in a relatively small city in the middle of the Amazon which isn't going to be used at all after the World Cup

I'd be making sure a large portion of those 200 million people have access to clean water and electricity personally before I go building a brand new 40k stadium in a relatively small city in the middle of the Amazon which isn't going to be used at all after the World Cup

and the money will appear by magic I assume.

BTW...Do you also object to poor families buying a new tv (or similar 'luxury' goods)?

and the money will appear by magic I assume.

BTW...Do you also object to poor families buying a new tv (or similar 'luxury' goods)?
Relative to what exactly?

Relative to what exactly?

relative to not holding the WC.

See my previous post.

costs : $11.5Billion
Govt money: $3.6B
spent on transport infrastructure 50% ( or ~$5.7B )

So for $3.6B they're getting $5.7B worth of transport infrastructure (and a bunch of 'free' stadiums).

Sure, they could have got $3.6B worth of health care, or electricity, or sewerage, but getting getting ~50% more bang for their buck in another vital spending requirement doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me.

Oh, they also get a large chunk of money from tourism and some publicity as a tourist location.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...ngland-and-italy/story-fnkjl6g2-1226953221369

And its not the first time. South Africa was slammed just months out from the tournament in 2010 for being unprepared. The Sochi Winter Olympics weren't exactly a world beater either:

http://news.distractify.com/culture/sochi/

I don't recall these kinds of problems with Sydney in 2000, with London in 2012. With Germany in 2006. Or when Korea and Japan hosted the World Cup in 2002.

We can only pray that Russia gets its s**t together by 2018.
you do know the rationale behind countries who are awarded the hosting rights?

i think, 2048, it will be Jakarta. Indonesia will have about 300 million, it will be a middle power and middle economy. The economy will be 250% bigger than Australia.

the IOC and FIFA will want some of that action

(Log in to remove this ad.)

relative to not holding the WC.

See my previous post.

costs : $11.5Billion
Govt money: $3.6B
spent on transport infrastructure 50% ( or ~$5.7B )

So for $3.6B they're getting $5.7B worth of transport infrastructure (and a bunch of 'free' stadiums).

Sure, they could have got $3.6B worth of health care, or electricity, or sewerage, but getting getting ~50% more bang for their buck in another vital spending requirement doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me.

Oh, they also get a large chunk of money from tourism and some publicity as a tourist location.
but most of that infrastructure will lie fallow.

if you are talking about economically sound investment, to produce future return, opportunity cost, the money goes elsewhere. it is like all those high rise apartments that have been built in china, and all those housing estates in Ireland, that need to be demolished in Ireland, but the high ride in China, are not being lived in, and the massive consumer westfields not built by wesfield, have no tenants... medusala what happens when investment is channeled into dead estate like your favourite Bono tiger Ireland?

Brazil is gonna be a massice power in the future if they can develop their resource assets, without china investing in iron ore going up in smoke and iron ore spot prices falling off a cliff

but most of that infrastructure will lie fallow.

if you are talking about economically sound investment, to produce future return, opportunity cost, the money goes elsewhere. it is like all those high rise apartments that have been built in china, and all those housing estates in Ireland, that need to be demolished in Ireland, but the high ride in China, are not being lived in, and the massive consumer westfields not built by wesfield, have no tenants... medusala what happens when investment is channeled into dead estate like your favourite Bono tiger Ireland?

Brazil is gonna be a massice power in the future if they can develop their resource assets, without china investing in iron ore going up in smoke and iron ore spot prices falling off a cliff

Currently they're big in iron, but it's the oil off the coast that will be truely massive. (and stuff chinese investment, look up Petrobras one day).

Mind you, for all that, Brazil's economy is already 50% larger than Aus....So $3.6B government spend is roughly equivalent to $2.4B here....Considering there are people here saying a deficit of tens of Billions isn't a big deal, then what the government is spending isn't all that much. (just checked...their gov't is roughly twice the size of ours and has a ~US$77B surplus - 2011 figures)

Currently they're big in iron, but it's the oil off the coast that will be truely massive. (and stuff chinese investment, look up Petrobras one day).

Mind you, for all that, Brazil's economy is already 50% larger than Aus....So $3.6B government spend is roughly equivalent to $2.4B here....Considering there are people here saying a deficit of tens of Billions isn't a big deal, then what the government is spending isn't all that much. (just checked...their gov't is roughly twice the size of ours and has a ~US$77B surplus - 2011 figures)
I don't think we're a valid comparison for Brazil in terms of scale.
Both geographically large countries that export beef and minerals... that's about it.

Also, things haven't been great economically in Brazil over the last few years. They have a lot of problems and the will to fix them doesn't seem to be there right now. As it stands right now, the future isn't as bright as you might think.

I thought a more appropriate subject would be, should countries that invaded Iraq in 2003 be able to participate in major world events?

Op's questions smacks of superior race narcissistic bullshit.

I thought a more appropriate subject would be, should countries that invaded Iraq in 2003 be able to participate in major world events?

Op's questions smacks of superior race narcissistic bullshit.
Aww, got your panties in a twist have we?

Read the OP again. I'm just as critical of countries like Russia as I am of countries like Brazil hosting these things.

Stop inferring racism when there clearly is none and keep your own racist prejudice away from this thread thanks.

Aww, got your panties in a twist have we?

Read the OP again. I'm just as critical of countries like Russia as I am of countries like Brazil hosting these things.

Stop inferring racism when there clearly is none and keep your own racist prejudice away from this thread thanks.

Why dis you bring up Russia? They were nice enough to give Edward Snowden saftey. All he was is a whistle blower telling the world how corrupt the countries that invaded Iraq were.

The reality is that Australia, America and Brittan should be the first countries excluded from everything if we're to start judging other nations.

Why dis you bring up Russia? They were nice enough to give Edward Snowden saftey. All he was is a whistle blower telling the world how corrupt the countries that invaded Iraq were.

The reality is that Australia, America and Brittan should be the first countries excluded from everything if we're to start judging other nations.
Are you drunk? Is that the reason for the piss poor spelling? I brought up Russia because their woeful performance in hosting an Olympic Games together will the enormous expenditure when they have so many other problems in their country (and yes, many have to do with the economic situation of ethnic minorities) is relevant as to why these countries should be allowed to put forward bids for major Games without serious added requirements and overseeing.

Further, any country that accepts even one dollar in aid for the West should not be permitted to put forward any bid whatsoever. All these events are for is image sharpening, they do nothing to help a country's economic issues.

Keep your racism and anti-Western sentiments out of this thread please, and do us all a favour and stop posting when clearly under the influence.

I brought up Russia because their woeful performance in hosting an Olympic Games together will the enormous expenditure when they have so many other problems in their country (and yes, many have to do with the economic situation of ethnic minorities) is relevant as to why these countries should be allowed to put forward bids for major Games without serious added requirements and overseeing.
What about America? You keep bringing up Russia. Russia has nothing to do with the war mongering of america brittian and Australia. The three countries who don't deserve a part of this world. Their record at holding major events is shocking. Their human rights record is shocking. What did with depleted uranium in Iraq will murder thousands for hundreds of years. Have you seen the slum that is Detroit? The murder rates? have you seen all the UN reports about human rights violations in australia? You should be more concerned about your own backyard before anyone elses.

let he who is free from sin cast the first stone

Further, any country that accepts even one dollar in aid for the West should not be permitted to put forward any bid whatsoever. All these events are for is image sharpening, they do nothing to help a country's economic issues.

We don't give aid, we bribe...

Drug gangs seek out guns in the United States because the gun-control laws are far tougher in Mexico. Mexican civilians must get approval from the military to buy guns and they cannot own large-caliber rifles or high-powered pistols, which are considered military weapons.

The ease with which Mr. Iknadosian and two other men transported weapons to Mexico over a two-year period illustrates just how difficult it is to stop the illicit trade, law enforcement officials here say.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us/26borders.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The gun laws in the United States allow the sale of multiple military-style rifles to American citizens without reporting the sales to the government, and the Mexicans search relatively few cars and trucks going south across their border.

What is more, the sheer volume of licensed dealers — more than 6,600 along the border alone, many of them operating out of their houses — makes policing them a tall order. Currently the A.T.F. has about 200 agents assigned to the task.

Why do we allow such a country to have an embassy in our country? These people are vile who don't care how much suffering there is as long as they make money from it. Deliberately and consciously undermining a sovereign countries attempts to reduce violence and end drug running.

Dont try and derail this thread into some kind of tin foil diatribe against the US and the West. Corruption?

http://www.transparency.org/country

Or how about here?

http://issuu.com/transparencyinternational/docs/cpi2013_brochure_single_pages?e=2496456/5813913

Do you see a theme there? Or are you seriously trying to tell us that the dictators and oligrachies of Africa, the Middle East, Asia et al are better than democracies like Australia, GB, USA etc? Why do we have to be perfect in every way before we can critisise the very real problems in other countries? Are we not a global society now?

Have you seen the favelas of Rio de Janiero?

http://fusion.net/abc_univision/new...orld-soccer-cup-blamed-favela-evictions-17804

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/24/sport/football/brazil-world-cup-favela-slums/

Or the 1 million plus "undesirables" displaced by China's "social clean up" in 2008?

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/2007-06-05-3431055449_x.htm

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jan/23/china.jonathanwatts

It's people like you that are responsible for a lack of awareness and appreciation of the world's poorest people. These kinds of events are designed to gloss over social and economic problems in these countries and racist idiots like you swallow it hook line and sinker.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/us/26borders.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Why do we allow such a country to have an embassy in our country? These people are vile who don't care how much suffering there is as long as they make money from it. Deliberately and consciously undermining a sovereign countries attempts to reduce violence and end drug running.

The gun laws in the United States allow the sale of multiple military-style rifles to American citizens without reporting the sales to the government, and the Mexicans search relatively few cars and trucks going south across their border.

So the American are responsible for the failure of Mexico to properly secure their own border now, are they? Is the US preventing Mexico from searching vehicles heading across the border?

Are the Amercians any more vile than the African dictators that amass personal wealth while their own people starve? Are you suggesting their presence in our country should also be investigated?

We don't give aid, we bribe...
Bribe? For what? What exactly do we get in return?

medusala what happens when investment is channeled into dead estate like your favourite Bono tiger Ireland?

Economic benefits of Olympics etc is one of the great government lies. UK government attempted to claim Olympics were built on budget. Sure they were, after original sub 2bn budget was pushed out to over 9bn.

I don't blame the Brazilians living in slums for protesting against the building of white elephant stadiums.

Disagree that they will be a superpower any time soon (caveat re them developing pre salt oil) Argentina was about as rich as the US turn of the 20th century and look what happened to them. Too much state control and egomaniacs running the joint.

NB Isnt second world definition former Soviet Union?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back