Opinion Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

Should the Premiership Cup be called the Barassi Cup?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah.

Barassi was an icon of the game but his achievements all came in the VFL.

The premiership cup should remain named as such.
Its not named the Premiership Cup, its described as the premiership cup.

If it was named the Premiership Cup you'd have used capital letters. It doesn't really have a proper name, its just the thing you get if you win the Premiership.

Altho one year we won a premiership cup that was gold instead of silver. It was called the gold cup. But only to describe it, not to name it.

The least likely to ever happen on that list is Yarra Park being named after a White Australian male.

Just will never happen in the current climate.

Maybe not. But there are already parts of the park - or things within it - that are named after people.

Who is then?

There actually doesn't need to be one person. I doubt very much if there is.

The game has been around in the form we recognise since at least 1897. That's a pretty big stretch of time. I'm tempted to argue early administrators and rulemakers had as much influence as anyone else. All things considered, Tom Wills is probably still pretty hard to surpass.

I definitely don't think one guy is suddenly the most influential because he happened to die. His last real (i.e. premiership) success with any club was nearly 50 years ago now.

There actually doesn't need to be one person. I doubt very much if there is.

The game has been around in the form we recognise since at least 1897. That's a pretty big stretch of time. I'm tempted to argue early administrators and rulemakers had as much influence as anyone else. All things considered, Tom Wills is probably still pretty hard to surpass.

I definitely don't think one guy is suddenly the most influential because he happened to die. His last real (i.e. premiership) success with any club was nearly 50 years ago now.
'Suddenly the most influential because he happened to die'- lol , he was always the most influential. Listen to what Sheedy, Malthouse and others had to say.

As much as Barassi was an icon of our game, what is next after that?
As much as Barassi gave to our game, one could argue Mathew’s has given equal if not more.

He is a four time premiership coach, three of which was the Brisbane team, which has helped grow the game nationally.
Not to mention he is arguably the best player to play the game.

What shall he get?
What is left?

Some things should be left alone.

Back