So who is the most underrated player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't imagine ever disagreeing with you brother, but when I see Langford and Poppy dual tag Ablett and win, yet Ablett kicks 2 and gets 35 I can no longer believe anyone was better.

Mate, the numbers don't tell the whole story. Ablett had no effect on that game at all and a lot of his possessions were scrubby kicks. Lewis had 37 against Fremantle and again, you'd be hard pressed to remember any of them.Matt Priddis knocks up getting the football too but doesn't alter games of football.

High possession footy means that the possession numbers are massively inflated compared to previous generations.

Gazza Sr kicked over 1000 career goals and played half of his career on a wing. Lethal kicked over 900 goals as a forward/midfielder and Carey kicked over 700 from CHF. They were all better than GAJ, who is an outstanding footballer too but not in their class.

From my side, Dayne Beams is ELITE and I know gets rated - but nowhere near as highly as he should be.

Alan Toovey gets little credit, too.

Competition wide, Jay Schulz & David Armitage
Couldn't agree more, I know it's not a great measure of a player but with all these top 50s floating around at the start of the season I constantly saw names such as Barlow, Mundy, Murphy, Hannebery and Mcveigh ahead of him as players. When not injured Beams has been superior to them both in 2012 and was in great form again at the end of 2013. He is rated but not nearly high enough.

Spanger is vastly underrated.

Not by 1.2 billion Catholics he aint.

AFL_Hawthorn_Matt_Spangher_620x350.jpg

Josh Gibson- Nick Maxwell, Harry Labumba, Cam Mooney and Andrew Mackie all have more AA guernseys than Gibbo. Hopefully this will be the year.

Luke McPharlin also very underrated.

Josh Gibson- Nick Maxwell, Harry Labumba, Cam Mooney and Andrew Mackie all have more AA guernseys than Gibbo. Hopefully this will be the year.

Luke McPharlin also very underrated.
AA is a farce. Who's been a better player over their career, Scott Lucas or Leon Davis?

AA is a farce. Who's been a better player over their career, Scott Lucas or Leon Davis?

A farce it may be but it's still a measure used by many, including hacks in the media to rate a player's prowess.

The club that someone plays for also makes a difference. Ted Richards for example gets gushed over by the media because he plays for the beloved $wans when he is an average player at best.

A farce it may be but it's still a measure used by many, including hacks in the media to rate a player's prowess.

The club that someone plays for also makes a difference. Ted Richards for example gets gushed over by the media because he plays for the beloved $wans when he is an average player at best.
Teddy>Gibson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't agree more, I know it's not a great measure of a player but with all these top 50s floating around at the start of the season I constantly saw names such as Barlow, Mundy, Murphy, Hannebery and Mcveigh ahead of him as players. When not injured Beams has been superior to them both in 2012 and was in great form again at the end of 2013. He is rated but not nearly high enough.
Well put, I would have Beams in the top 20 in the competition, personally.

His form so far this year has been excellent.

Yeah, nah. Gibbo B&F in a premiership year, can play on a variety of players and is great by foot. Teddy is good when he can stand and wrestle but offers little offensively. A good honest player but not worthy of the love he gets.
He's an excellent 1v1 KPD, rarely gets beaten on the lead and is a good intercept mark. Gibson, while excellent at cutting off attacks with a well timed fist, is a poor mark which doesn't allow Hawthorn to counterattack as much as they would with someone like Teddy or Taylor etc.
Are you stupid?
Classy, but no less than I'd expect from a Hawthorn fan.

Matt Rosa for mine. He's vanilla but that kind of fresh made vanilla from eggs, cream and vanilla pods and not a tub of Bulla vanilla from IGA

Trent Cotchin, still think he is one of the best 5 in the comp when he is on top form. We shouldn't judge him when he is playing poorly, all players have their ups and downs.
Doesn't hit that form enough.
Does not hurt teams anywhere near the same as his brethren.

I would go so far to say he is probably the most over-rated, in that he is regularly spoken about in the circles of Ablett, Selwood, Watson etc but does not bat at their level. Puts unfair expectation on him.
He is very good. but he is not in the top 20 mids in the comp, let along top 20 players, and certainly nowhere near the top 5.

Please produce a list of 19 better midfielders, please. I would love to see it
Dangerfield, Sloane, Beams, Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Goddard, Fyfe, Barlow, Mundy, Selwood, S Johnson, Ablett, Ward, Mitchell, Burgoyne, Boak, Jack, Kennedy, Griffen.

Please produce a list of 19 better midfielders, please. I would love to see it
in order (noting this is only midfielders, so rucks, forwards and defenders not withstanding)

1-Ablett
2-Pendlebury
3-Mitchell
4-Selwood
5-Watson
6-StevieJ
7-Barlow
8-Griffen
9-Dangerfield
10-Mundy
11-Boak
12-Beams
13-Fyfe
14-Goddard
15-Ward
16-Kennedy
17-Jones
18-Jack
19-Burgoyne

Also - Swan, Sloane, Jack, Martin, Rockliff, Ball, Heppell, Schuey

in order (noting this is only midfielders, so rucks, forwards and defenders not withstanding)

1-Ablett
2-Pendlebury
3-Mitchell
4-Selwood
5-Watson
6-StevieJ
7-Barlow
8-Griffen
9-Dangerfield
10-Mundy
11-Boak
12-Beams