U18 Champs South Australia v Western Australia DOUBLE HEADER BABBBBBYYYYYY, Sunday 10th October from 11 AM ACDT

Remove this Banner Ad

U17 SOUTH AUSTRALIA v. WESTERN AUSTRALIA

Round 2 - 10/10/2021, 11:00am

Thebarton Oval

South Australia

B: W. Patton, P. Weckert, F. Reed
HB: J. Ryan, K. Marshall, J. Walker
C: L. Rawlinson, N. Sadler, T. Tattoli
HF: K. Cockshell, B. Tuck, K. Rypstra
F: J. Delean, T. Scully, T. Rahui
R: H. Barnett, T. Walls, A. McDonald
Int: M. Blacker, A. Lovelock, J. Magor, K. Ryan, R. Verrall
Emg: W. Dowling, I. Keeler, M. Michalanney

Western Australia

B: C. Carbone, D. Curtin, J. Hagan

HB: S. Gilbey, J. Busslinger, G. Julian

C: J. Baker, K. Bevan, K. Tholstrup

HF: E. Allan, N. Farrow, R. Hardeman

F: J. Cleaver, J. Draper, A. Condon

R: J. Broadbent, E. Hewett, D. Jones

Int: C. Bourne, J. Douglas, L. Michael, K. Sanchez, C. Williams

U19 SOUTH AUSTRALIA v. WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Round 11 - 10/10/2021, 1:30pm
Thebarton Oval

South Australia

B: M. Litster, Z. Becker, B. O'Loughlin
HB: J. Burgoyne, O. Adams, S. Linke
C: B. Calvett, A. D'Aloia, N. Wanganeen-Milera
HF: M. Ferres, L. Cooke, C. Kennedy
F: J. Owens, H. Lemmey, I. Dudley
R: O. Steene, M. Liddy, M. Roberts
Int: L. Grubb, H. Harrison, A. Lord, M. Michalanney, J. Parish
Emg: D. McGary, Z. Phillips, H. Stagg, L. Whitelum

Western Australia
B: F. Gorringe, J. McIlvinney, J. McVee
HB: R. Bazzo, J. Avery, B. Watson
C: A. Jones, K. Dittmar, C. Warner
HF: B. Hough, J. Williams, L. Paton
F: J. Motlop, E. Benning, E. Regan
R: J. Cripps, G. Sheldrick, T. Woewodin
Int: J. Browne, M. Chipper, Z. Fleiner, K. Harbour, L. Polson, J. Tunstill

Last edited by a moderator:
Very underwhelming game overall, no one stepping their stocks up and some may have damaged them.
Everyone looked a bit buggered and therefore rushed in the contests.
Williams showed a tiny bit as did Polson on occasions.
Motlop and Jones looked to be playing in 1 gear.
Litster and Parish seemed ok but showed nothing that will get them drafted at their heights in their positions in my eye.
God, i hope we get a full Championships next year.

Just from the WA side of things the top 4 rated players weren't playing. Including the top 2 midfield prospects (erasmus and johnson), the top forward prospect (amiss) and the top defensive prospect/swingman (van rooyen)

Dittmar and Sheldrick both to me still second round prospects. Also both coming from less developed country development paths although both quite physically well developed for their age.

I will say this now, Williams is not an AFL quality player. He could well get drafted and even play 100 games but he's too short to be a primary ruck at AFL level and not good enough as a forward at the next level. He is also very physically developed in comparison to his draft cohort.

Disappointing showings from Warner in these games as I expected more.

From the SA side of things i've said it on the Eagles board before but Roberts very much looks like sliding and hasn't shown nearly enough. Looking more like a 25-40 prospect now in my mind.

Also having watched multiple games at the ground the game was played at don't expect great skills. It get horrendous wind, is swirly as s**t too. I really think these games should be played at more AFL level grounds so as to give recruiters more of a glimpse at what skills would be like at the next level.

Best WA: Williams, Dittmar, Paton, Sheldrick, Watson, Gorringe
Best SA: Litster, Linke, Cooke, Roberts, Becker, D'Aloia

Wasn't a good game of football. WA struggled with SA's high pressure, but eventually had enough better players to get over the top. A lot of disappointing performances, also.

I went to the game today and would mostly agree with your best players. One thing I'll say is other than the rucks and Dittmar and Sheldrick I was extremely disappointed in the performance of the WA midfield. It honestly seemed that they were more interested in stat accumulation than playing football and their over use of the ball was the WA forwards worst enemy. Will also add Paton stood out as someone that never gives up - the kind of player every team loves to have.

On the SA side I would say after all the hype I wasn't very impressed by Roberts and I would probably add in Adams for his defensive marks though they were largely aided by the WA midfielders poor delivery into the forward line.

Arthur Jones was also good , kind of reminded me of Charlie Cameron in his draft year , few snippets of speed and class

anyone know anything more about him ?
He’s from Mt Barker / Albany , is part of the Great southern Colts development program with Claremont.
Has played a lot of footy / basketball with my kids
Great kid , ripper athlete with a really lovely supportive family .
Loves to take the game on and has pace .
Hope he goes the distance.

I went to the game today and would mostly agree with your best players. One thing I'll say is other than the rucks and Dittmar and Sheldrick I was extremely disappointed in the performance of the WA midfield. It honestly seemed that they were more interested in stat accumulation than playing football and their over use of the ball was the WA forwards worst enemy. Will also add Paton stood out as someone that never gives up - the kind of player every team loves to have.

On the SA side I would say after all the hype I wasn't very impressed by Roberts and I would probably add in Adams for his defensive marks though they were largely aided by the WA midfielders poor delivery into the forward line.
How windy was it at the ground? Kicking skills looked very poor but it’s hard to gauge from the TV coverage if the wind was a factor in that.

How windy was it at the ground? Kicking skills looked very poor but it’s hard to gauge from the TV coverage if the wind was a factor in that.

It was a tricky breeze, it favoured the end that WA kicked to in the first quarter. However it was more quartering wind that blew towards the pocket on the grand stand side (camera side for the stream). It also wasn't consistent there were brief periods when it died off completely only to pick up again.
My personal view is that the wind was pretty much the main reason most of the set shots at goal were so poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally seen both the games...

Under 17's:

Not the best game in the world but can see some very talented kids out there for next year. Game could have gone either way but felt like WA had answers most of the time.

Few players of note ( I know the SA guys a lot better obviously)

WA

Hewett
- This kid is a weapon in the making, first real good look at him and whilst he didn't dominate by any stretch, you can see what he's going to become. Powerful midfielder, big frame, with strength at the contest and good attack on the outside, reminds me a bit of LDU. Right up there for next year, keen to see more.

Busslinger - Solid game, read the play like a book all day coming in and intercepted really well in a controlling manner. Was a rock down back all day.

Williams - Liked what I saw, he's got some real upside, that lean and forward leaning athletic outside type, burst away from stoppage or contest and puts the jets on and makes ground bit like Stephen Hill used to, kicked a tremendous running goal. Looking forward to seeing more.

Broadbent - Boy is he big, looks AFL size already, time he fills out he's going to be a man mountain in the Jarrod Witts mould. Mobile, strong and good at the taps. Thought he could have dominated even more than he did given the SA rucks fought valiantly.

Hagan - Same Hagan from the first Under 19 game, running hard all day, does everything at pace and with intent, very attacking....small and will need more strength but a talent for sure.

Condon - Not as dominant as I thought but you can see a massssssive upside with this guy, going to be a fine ruckman. WA twin towers for next year will be an unstoppable combo at the champs.

SA

Delean
- Most talented footballer on the ground the the youngest out there. Give him an inch and he will take a mile. Crafty, dangerous and impactful and very good overhead for his size. He's not tall but plays so much taller with his leap and judgement of the ball in flight. Has an AFL standard goal sense and feel for what to do and when. Tackled well and whilst some say he got some easy goals, felt he earnt them all. I don't think he can translate to a midfielder at AFL level, but he will likely remain a dangerous small forward. If he grows to 6ft1-6ft2 that would seriously raise his stocks.

Weckert - Been a fan of him this year and thought he was very impressive, terrific size already, super mobile and played a generally thoughtful game out of defence looking for options. Physically, should develop into a hell of a specimen and become a consumate utility as he can be swung forward with effect.

Cockshell - Not a huge game, but by geez does he show some traits at times, incredible burst of speed for a bloke so tall, agile as they come. Was a dominant junior on KI and hasn't dominated yet at Under 18 level but feel that will come next year. Maybe bewteen the ears a bit but can play. I think he could be good at both ends.

K. Ryan - I was a little disappointed wit Ryan, wasn't he usual dominant self but still solid, some good quick gives and disposal out of congestion at times, skills by foot were below his standard though.

Patton - Gun written all over him, you only need to watch him for 3 seconds to see that. Reminds me of Ryan Burton, tall, strong and very agile a wiry interceptor who can play at both ends. Not a huge game but very composed and mature play when he had it.

Michalanney - Very good game and high in the best for SA, thought he was much like Busslinger for WA being the general in defence intercepting many attacking forays with excellent overhead marking. Really good talent, big fan and see a long future, bit of Jake Lever in the way he goes about it.

Walls - Was working tirelessly all day for SA, running all over the ground, nippy little rover but skills inconsistent. I don't think he will be an AFL player but one of those very good state leaguers. Tiny guy.

Under 19's

WA burst out the blocks early and that's where the difference in the game was, rest of the game felt fairly even though prob last half thought SA were slightly better but just didn't have the class at the right moments to capitalise on the efforts of WA lads at the contest. Real even game but once again, skills ordinary.

Commentary almost laughable. Mixing Evans up with Lukac for most of the game and Lukac didn't even play.

WA

Jones
- Another good game, beautiful dash and use of any open space, he's a handful when off the chain that's for sure. Bit of Shae Bolton in the way he goes about it, has a glide to him. Like what I see.

Dittmar - Geez you'd want 22 of this bloke in your side every week, goes in hard but never stops running, attacking, putting a body on, his button gets stuck on repeat. Love him, and was one of the best for WA.

Regan - There is something here, thought he provided a bit of a handful at times, creative and clever but good size too, one on one he was ultra competitive, solid game

Hough - Just a smooth component to the overall WA machine, he's a ripping talent, clean off half back with good disposal and thoughtful intent of switching play. Reminds me a lot of Tom Lynch from the crows, can play all over the ground and a real dark horse in the draft (though not for some hopefully)

Sheldrick - Strong game and one of the best for WA, probably the best in the end but by no means a dominant performance. Worked super hard inside all day, but also plenty of attacking outside ball. He's a real man child, Ben Cunnington is a player that comes to mind or Moloney from yesteryear. Not the best skills but you know what you will get, a real grunt player.

Williams - Solid game but not that great he's just a quality player, especially forward, has a beautiful lead and mark at the footy, you cannot teach that and easily the most talented tall on the ground out of this years crop. No doubt he will turn into a very good forward in a few years time, big upside there though he won't be a ruck at AFL level that's for sure.

SA

Litster
- Solid all game and especially late taking some good marks down back and providing drive out of defence and rolling up to the stoppage, never stoped trying all day. Don't think he will make AFL though probably forge a strong SANFL career.

Parish - Didn't stop trying all day despite being undersized, made some great defensive efforts and spoils plus some good marks and rebounded well

Becker - Good game, he's a general back there and you can clearly see the AFL traits in him, plays with some aggression and zest, under seige with his aforementioned teamates and held up well

Adams - Much better than his previous games, marked fairly well and read the ball coming in, showed agility and mobility under pressure and mostly made good decisions. Needs to hit the gym though, very slender.

Roberts - Thought he had his patches early and late with a not so much in between but a class act as we know. You don't have to watch him for long to see he thinks quicker than most of his peers about running patterns and where to kick to, wheeled onto his trusty left a lot and was very good with his 30-40m passes in traffic I thought. Did a few of his usual dump kicks from clearance but he always does that. He's had a long year and the tank is clearly low. The only SA player to match Sheldrick for strength and made some good tackles on him in tight. One mustn't forget how purely dominant he was in his Under 18 games earlier this year. He's just a footballer.

D'Aloia - Good game but down a touch from his previous two, strong inside again, superb ability to get the ground ball and dish out or step out and then distribute, he is elite at that. Tackled strongly again.

Cooke - I've been critical of him but he was much better today and showed a lot more agility and speed up forward, finished with a well deserved 4 goals for his efforts.

Lord - Decent game, his run was important and was a like for like replacement for Rayson off half back, showed good sidestep and balance whilst accelerating and used the ball well.

All others had their moments, O'Loughlin mixed bag down back, Burgoyne few moments, Ferres some good marks etc and leading up ground, Liddy battled hard all day, Linke shows some real ability and is a terrific size for a mid but his disposal is nothing short of putrid.

Finally seen both the games...

Under 17's:

Not the best game in the world but can see some very talented kids out there for next year. Game could have gone either way but felt like WA had answers most of the time.

Few players of note ( I know the SA guys a lot better obviously)

WA

Hewett
- This kid is a weapon in the making, first real good look at him and whilst he didn't dominate by any stretch, you can see what he's going to become. Powerful midfielder, big frame, with strength at the contest and good attack on the outside, reminds me a bit of LDU. Right up there for next year, keen to see more.

Busslinger - Solid game, read the play like a book all day coming in and intercepted really well in a controlling manner. Was a rock down back all day.

Williams - Liked what I saw, he's got some real upside, that lean and forward leaning athletic outside type, burst away from stoppage or contest and puts the jets on and makes ground bit like Stephen Hill used to, kicked a tremendous running goal. Looking forward to seeing more.

Broadbent - Boy is he big, looks AFL size already, time he fills out he's going to be a man mountain in the Jarrod Witts mould. Mobile, strong and good at the taps. Thought he could have dominated even more than he did given the SA rucks fought valiantly.

Hagan - Same Hagan from the first Under 19 game, running hard all day, does everything at pace and with intent, very attacking....small and will need more strength but a talent for sure.

Condon - Not as dominant as I thought but you can see a massssssive upside with this guy, going to be a fine ruckman. WA twin towers for next year will be an unstoppable combo at the champs.

SA

Delean
- Most talented footballer on the ground the the youngest out there. Give him an inch and he will take a mile. Crafty, dangerous and impactful and very good overhead for his size. He's not tall but plays so much taller with his leap and judgement of the ball in flight. Has an AFL standard goal sense and feel for what to do and when. Tackled well and whilst some say he got some easy goals, felt he earnt them all. I don't think he can translate to a midfielder at AFL level, but he will likely remain a dangerous small forward. If he grows to 6ft1-6ft2 that would seriously raise his stocks.

Weckert - Been a fan of him this year and thought he was very impressive, terrific size already, super mobile and played a generally thoughtful game out of defence looking for options. Physically, should develop into a hell of a specimen and become a consumate utility as he can be swung forward with effect.

Cockshell - Not a huge game, but by geez does he show some traits at times, incredible burst of speed for a bloke so tall, agile as they come. Was a dominant junior on KI and hasn't dominated yet at Under 18 level but feel that will come next year. Maybe bewteen the ears a bit but can play. I think he could be good at both ends.

K. Ryan - I was a little disappointed wit Ryan, wasn't he usual dominant self but still solid, some good quick gives and disposal out of congestion at times, skills by foot were below his standard though.

Patton - Gun written all over him, you only need to watch him for 3 seconds to see that. Reminds me of Ryan Burton, tall, strong and very agile a wiry interceptor who can play at both ends. Not a huge game but very composed and mature play when he had it.

Michalanney - Very good game and high in the best for SA, thought he was much like Busslinger for WA being the general in defence intercepting many attacking forays with excellent overhead marking. Really good talent, big fan and see a long future, bit of Jake Lever in the way he goes about it.

Walls - Was working tirelessly all day for SA, running all over the ground, nippy little rover but skills inconsistent. I don't think he will be an AFL player but one of those very good state leaguers. Tiny guy.

Under 19's

WA burst out the blocks early and that's where the difference in the game was, rest of the game felt fairly even though prob last half thought SA were slightly better but just didn't have the class at the right moments to capitalise on the efforts of WA lads at the contest. Real even game but once again, skills ordinary.

Commentary almost laughable. Mixing Evans up with Lukac for most of the game and Lukac didn't even play.

WA

Jones
- Another good game, beautiful dash and use of any open space, he's a handful when off the chain that's for sure. Bit of Shae Bolton in the way he goes about it, has a glide to him. Like what I see.

Dittmar - Geez you'd want 22 of this bloke in your side every week, goes in hard but never stops running, attacking, putting a body on, his button gets stuck on repeat. Love him, and was one of the best for WA.

Regan - There is something here, thought he provided a bit of a handful at times, creative and clever but good size too, one on one he was ultra competitive, solid game

Hough - Just a smooth component to the overall WA machine, he's a ripping talent, clean off half back with good disposal and thoughtful intent of switching play. Reminds me a lot of Tom Lynch from the crows, can play all over the ground and a real dark horse in the draft (though not for some hopefully)

Sheldrick - Strong game and one of the best for WA, probably the best in the end but by no means a dominant performance. Worked super hard inside all day, but also plenty of attacking outside ball. He's a real man child, Ben Cunnington is a player that comes to mind or Moloney from yesteryear. Not the best skills but you know what you will get, a real grunt player.

Williams - Solid game but not that great he's just a quality player, especially forward, has a beautiful lead and mark at the footy, you cannot teach that and easily the most talented tall on the ground out of this years crop. No doubt he will turn into a very good forward in a few years time, big upside there though he won't be a ruck at AFL level that's for sure.

SA

Litster
- Solid all game and especially late taking some good marks down back and providing drive out of defence and rolling up to the stoppage, never stoped trying all day. Don't think he will make AFL though probably forge a strong SANFL career.

Parish - Didn't stop trying all day despite being undersized, made some great defensive efforts and spoils plus some good marks and rebounded well

Becker - Good game, he's a general back there and you can clearly see the AFL traits in him, plays with some aggression and zest, under seige with his aforementioned teamates and held up well

Adams - Much better than his previous games, marked fairly well and read the ball coming in, showed agility and mobility under pressure and mostly made good decisions. Needs to hit the gym though, very slender.

Roberts - Thought he had his patches early and late with a not so much in between but a class act as we know. You don't have to watch him for long to see he thinks quicker than most of his peers about running patterns and where to kick to, wheeled onto his trusty left a lot and was very good with his 30-40m passes in traffic I thought. Did a few of his usual dump kicks from clearance but he always does that. He's had a long year and the tank is clearly low. The only SA player to match Sheldrick for strength and made some good tackles on him in tight. One mustn't forget how purely dominant he was in his Under 18 games earlier this year. He's just a footballer.

D'Aloia - Good game but down a touch from his previous two, strong inside again, superb ability to get the ground ball and dish out or step out and then distribute, he is elite at that. Tackled strongly again.

Cooke - I've been critical of him but he was much better today and showed a lot more agility and speed up forward, finished with a well deserved 4 goals for his efforts.

Lord - Decent game, his run was important and was a like for like replacement for Rayson off half back, showed good sidestep and balance whilst accelerating and used the ball well.

All others had their moments, O'Loughlin mixed bag down back, Burgoyne few moments, Ferres some good marks etc and leading up ground, Liddy battled hard all day, Linke shows some real ability and is a terrific size for a mid but his disposal is nothing short of putrid.

Hewett does have LDU style about how he plays, i was thinking that before i read your comment.

He’s from Mt Barker / Albany , is part of the Great southern Colts development program with Claremont.
Has played a lot of footy / basketball with my kids
Great kid , ripper athlete with a really lovely supportive family .
Loves to take the game on and has pace .
Hope he goes the distance.
From memory his mum is a Krakouer - if pedigree counts for anything!!

I am just annoyed West Coast missed in lodging him as a NGA prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back