Sponsor Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Sponsor Watch.

Coca Cola Amatil is not the brand Mr Bowers. Coca Cola is the brand.

CCA manufactures/bottles under licence.

Read the rest of the media release before you sign off on it next time.

I think Bowers knew what he was doing.

For all intents and purposes, in Australia... Coca-Cola Amatil IS Coca-Cola.

Are they our major sponsor?

Vodafone are our major sponsor until the end of the year.

As per the article (try reading it!), CCA are a support sponsor, just like Bank of Queensland and Devine Homes etc.

No more Pepsi at the Gabba.

Possibly.

It will be interesting to see how that works out.

Michael O'Brien Catering have the catering rights to the Gabba and would most likely have supply deals with Pepsi in contract. Could be trouble brewing?

“Coca-Cola Amatil is arguably the world’s most recognisable brand and their previous association with the Club coincided with the Lions’ hat-trick of AFL premierships – so we’re certainly pleased to welcome them back to the Gabba with us for Season 2009 and beyond,” Mr Bowers said.

I thought it might be the case, but perhaps I am reading too much into it.

Link.

RATHER than take a leaf out of the book of their beleaguered league cousins, the Brisbane Lions eschewed bourbon for water at their 2009 season launch.

No fisticuffs with sponsors, no scandalous advances on women (not single ones anyway), a complete muckraker's disappointment.

Smart lads, these Lions.

Among the 400 well-wishers filing around the sumptuous new Cloudland venue were three undisclosed potential sponsors whom the club is wooing to replace Vodaphone when it ups stumps at the end of the year.

Sounds promising. :thumbsu:

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25321644-19742,00.html

THE global financial crisis has hit the Brisbane Lions hard with the club forced to sell corporate boxes on a game-by-game basis.

It is certain to cause consternation for the AFL's push into the Gold Coast.

However, Brisbane CEO Michael Bowers said while corporate sales were down - membership was up.

This season's membership tally surpassed the 2008 figure last week and ticket sales for Friday's clash against Collingwood are booming.

Bowers said negotiations with potential new naming rights sponsors for 2010 were also progressing well.

"There's no doubt we've had a drop in the (corporate box) sales we had from last year. That's understandable I think," Bowers said. "Over 40 new companies have joined us this year but those companies are buying less. They are not buying a season, they are buying selected games.

"A real opportunity exists now for companies that haven't been able to get into Lions games in the past."

Bowers said the club was buoyed to have 24,389 members on its books at the close of business on Wednesday when the 2008 mark of 24,373 was outstripped.

Almost a third of the tickets available for the match against the Magpies were snapped up the first day they went on sale, ensuring a bumper Gabba crowd for the Friday night marquee contest.

"Wednesday was big day for us at the club with the 2009 membership figure passing the 2008 figure. The sales for Collingwood are exciting and people should get in quick if they want to get to the game," he said.

Bowers said the club had been "heartened by the interest" from potential naming-rights sponsors for 2010 and beyond with telecommunications giant Vodafone downgrading its commitment to the Lions at the end of this season.

Does Queensland Transport give the Brisbane Lions anything for the use of the Brisbane Lions Logo on the Car registeration Plates? PPQ.com.au are running a big promo on getting Brisbane Lions rego Plates, theres all these gives aways recently if your order your plates, I went but there wasnt really any worthwhile rego Plates left. It costs about $500 . It seems that all the good registration numbers have already been taken. I saw a good one on Ebay here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150343069737 which is being resold starting at $500 seems like a pretty good number to have.
I tried some words but you have to use 3letters and 2 or 3 numbers n the plate.

With all these Lions plates being made, You think that PPQ Peronlised Plates Queensland might sponsor the LIons.

It seems that all the good registration numbers have already been taken.

I heard a whisper that they were bringing in personalised plates years back and was lucky enough to be able to ring them, and purchase my preferred combination without having to pick any specfic plates, then the day they released the Lions plates I sent in my plate order:thumbsu:

Best Lions investment I have ever made. And to the ar$ewipe who stole them off my car in Sydney, "you are an ar$ewipe" but I have them back on, brand spanking new again:thumbsu:

Surely the Lions get some sort of royalty for the use of the logo etc.

Surely the Lions get some sort of royalty for the use of the logo etc.

Logos are owned by the AFL, so I'd think PPQ have come up with a commercial arrangement directly with them. Can't see the Lions getting anything.

Pretty sure Tim the Toolman has personalised Vic Lions plates too.

It seems that all the good registration numbers have already been taken. I saw a good one on Ebay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=150343069737 which is being resold starting at $500 seems like a pretty good number to have.
I tried some words but you have to use 3letters and 2 or 3 numbers n the plate.
My husband's family organised some for his special birthday in 2004 and even then they couldn't get his 3 letter name on the plates with a combination of preferred numbers. Had to settle for his initials instead. A good investment though, we made sure our first born had the same initials! ;) There are loads of plates around now, if you were going to get them I would do so soon, especially with the promo on. Be frustrating not to get what you want. My husband's were a surprise birthday present. :eek: Luckily he was okay with the combination of letters and numbers. :p

Some Lions plates say "Go The Brisbane Lions" others say Premiers 2001, 2002, 2003. Ours has the former but since we got them in 04 I was thinking what would we do if we got the plates with the Premiership years on it and the Lions end up winning the Grand Final later that year! Anyway, as we all know, it didn't happen. Still if the Lions did win, wouldn't you want new plates to read, "Premiers 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004"?

Anyway, there's a bit that goes into choosing your plates. I can tell some people have chosen player names and guersey numbers. A bit risky, I'd say. There's an Aker one I've seen around - wouldn't you feel funny about having that on your car now. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Making finals in a year that we are after a new sponsor was fortunate timing.

:thumbsu:

Rich winning the rising star doesn't hurt either.

The Lions would have to look pretty attractive over the next few years for prospective sponsors. Obviously the club can't announce anything until Vodafone's sponsorship officially expires... wouldn't surprise me if we had someone lined up already. ;)

Re: Football Department Watch

Club can't talk about other sponsors while the current deals haven't expired.

Wait till 30th October.

Any news on a new sponsor?, it is now past 30th October.

Interestingly, I went into a small sports shop in San Francisco today that sold primarily College Football gear and there proudly hanging on their wall was a Brisbane Lions jumper, complete with AAPT sponsorship on it. A mere US$100 would have picked up this gem:thumbsu:

If I recall correctly, our Conergy and Bank of Queensland sponsorship deals expire this year.

Not sure if they will be renewing or not. If not, I hope we have some suitors lined up.

We signed BOQ and Conergy at the end of a season where we played finals. May be a little trickier this time around.

That said, Melbourne didn't have any trouble finding new sponsors after the EnergyWatch debacle, and they aren't exactly the picture of success right now.

I do hope they stick with Hyundai for a while yet, I got a great deal out of the union.

Yeah it is going to be difficult to keep both of our major sponsors.

BOQ haven't been going to well themselves, so we might be in a bit of trouble there.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Hyundai jump on as a major sponsor, actually. They've got the Hyundai Centre named now, and the club seems to pump up their connection pretty strongly. More than BOQ or Conergy, actually. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were to happen.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Hyundai jump on as a major sponsor, actually. They've got the Hyundai Centre named now, and the club seems to pump up their connection pretty strongly. More than BOQ or Conergy, actually. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were to happen.

Don't know if Hyundai would want to be the major sponsor of two afl teams. Secondary probably suits them more I would guess.

Most likely it will be a company that wants to push into SEQ, although given the lions profile that won't be as attractive. NRMA did it by sponsoring the broncos when they moved into the QLD market.

Wouldn't be surprised to see one of the CSG or LNG companies looking to raise and improve their profile in SEQ jump on board with a sponsorship. Lot of money going around in those circles at the moment and regardless of your views on the matter I doubt we are in a position to be picky with who we take on as sponsors.

Another company that is moving into australia is Opel, and they will be looking to establish a foothold. Although that would mean we would have to drop Hyundai which I see as unlikely given the contract we would already have with them.

You never know who is looking to further their name and sponsor teams, Conergy came out of nowhere really so I would imagine something similar would be in order, overseas company looking for a entry point into the Australian market. Good news is that Australia is looking fairly attractive as a place to open up shop given the low or negative growth going on around the world at the moment. Not major volumes but somewhere where you can make mostly solid profits.

A company like Huawei or HTC even on the technology front are ones that may consider as well. You never know Optus may look at it as an opportunity to fire a pot shot across the bow of telstra, its not like there aren't sponsorships now that are in direct competition to the AFL's sponsors.

That's about all I can think of at the moment, but will be interesting to see who we do get.

Another company that is moving into australia is Opel, and they will be looking to establish a foothold. Although that would mean we would have to drop Hyundai which I see as unlikely given the contract we would already have with them.

Aren't Opel a major sponsor of the Dees now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back