News New Sponsors

Remove this Banner Ad

Gday guys, we were discussing this on our board, I think it's relevant for both teams and we should both be concerned.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...oy-life-in-the-fast-lane-20150619-ghsmgd.html

Just some of the key messages/quotes of that article. It sucks with the FIXtures both clubs are dealt, we both barely get prime time free to air to promote our brands, our footballers, the membership opportunities that comes with it etc and as a spiral effect, both clubs have to settle for second rate sponsors, you guys an iced coffee brand, us a taco/wrap brand due to the big companies not seeing us as worthy sponsorship recipients.

Now Hawthorn are setting up shop in arguably your territory and are clearly looking to take over the whole east/south-east.

Both clubs should clearly finish ahead of Carlton this year and I'd hope both clubs can finish ahead of Essendon also. Both of our clubs play an exciting brand of football and the playing future for both of us looks bright. We need to put our foot down at the end of the year and demand more exposure while we are ahead of these "once was big 4" that get looked after when they don't deserve to be. We must demand more than 50% FTA Victoria games next year if we both win a solid amount of games, say the Dogs win 9-12 games and you guys win 8-10 games and both teams finish ahead of Essendon and Carlton, there has to be a solid enough argument that both our teams get the same or more free to air exposure next year than these rabbles regardless of their larger supporter bases. Look at Carlton this year on Friday nights, smashed every time and they were bad last year also, they didn't deserve their 7 Thursday/Fridays this year and they're on FTA 14/15 times in total.

Both our clubs have only been given 8 FTA games this year, the number has to increase to at least 11 next year including at least 2 Friday night games each if our performances are good enough to suggest that we're on the up, which currently they definitely are, if we could play each other on a Friday night that would be great and you guys get your game against Collingwood per normal also and we'd be happy to play a Richmond or Geelong or something. The Dogs haven't been given a Friday night game since 2012 and the opportunity to get a Saturday night is rare itself, 5 this year for us but only 3 last year.

But yeah, this deal just highlights how unequal the competition is and both our clubs have to work together I believe to ensure we're given a fair go. We may be rivals on field, but we are in the same boat off the field in struggle town. Looking forward to our game next week :D
I think you've nailed it, go you pups. Can't expect sponsors to back a smaller club when the exposure received is so, so much lower. For mine the AFL must decide between an even, fair, fixture or stronger equalisation measures (such as revenue sharing). So it's a question of losing millions in TV revenue or facing a scare campaign from a certain media personality that also has strong club ties. Bring on revenue sharing.

Gday guys, we were discussing this on our board, I think it's relevant for both teams and we should both be concerned.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...oy-life-in-the-fast-lane-20150619-ghsmgd.html

Just some of the key messages/quotes of that article. It sucks with the FIXtures both clubs are dealt, we both barely get prime time free to air to promote our brands, our footballers, the membership opportunities that comes with it etc and as a spiral effect, both clubs have to settle for second rate sponsors, you guys an iced coffee brand, us a taco/wrap brand due to the big companies not seeing us as worthy sponsorship recipients.

Now Hawthorn are setting up shop in arguably your territory and are clearly looking to take over the whole east/south-east.

Both clubs should clearly finish ahead of Carlton this year and I'd hope both clubs can finish ahead of Essendon also. Both of our clubs play an exciting brand of football and the playing future for both of us looks bright. We need to put our foot down at the end of the year and demand more exposure while we are ahead of these "once was big 4" that get looked after when they don't deserve to be. We must demand more than 50% FTA Victoria games next year if we both win a solid amount of games, say the Dogs win 9-12 games and you guys win 8-10 games and both teams finish ahead of Essendon and Carlton, there has to be a solid enough argument that both our teams get the same or more free to air exposure next year than these rabbles regardless of their larger supporter bases. Look at Carlton this year on Friday nights, smashed every time and they were bad last year also, they didn't deserve their 7 Thursday/Fridays this year and they're on FTA 14/15 times in total.

Both our clubs have only been given 8 FTA games this year, the number has to increase to at least 11 next year including at least 2 Friday night games each if our performances are good enough to suggest that we're on the up, which currently they definitely are, if we could play each other on a Friday night that would be great and you guys get your game against Collingwood per normal also and we'd be happy to play a Richmond or Geelong or something. The Dogs haven't been given a Friday night game since 2012 and the opportunity to get a Saturday night is rare itself, 5 this year for us but only 3 last year.

But yeah, this deal just highlights how unequal the competition is and both our clubs have to work together I believe to ensure we're given a fair go. We may be rivals on field, but we are in the same boat off the field in struggle town. Looking forward to our game next week :D
Thank you for this thoughtful article. Now is the time for the AFL to walk the walk on equalisation.

I seriously have reservations about AFL leadership or lack there of.
The commission was established so decisions could be made without club bias.
So why in the hell take Newbloke and FatEd to the USA to sell equalisation.
They are never going to agree, so make a decision, tell them like or lump it.
The salary cap payments are guaranteed by the AFL to the AFLPA, if the cap is 10 mil. for example pay the less capitilised clubs 12 and the higher 8.it's really not that hard.
End rant.

I think you've nailed it, go you pups. Can't expect sponsors to back a smaller club when the exposure received is so, so much lower. For mine the AFL must decide between an even, fair, fixture or stronger equalisation measures (such as revenue sharing). So it's a question of losing millions in TV revenue or facing a scare campaign from a certain media personality that also has strong club ties. Bring on revenue sharing.
Revenue sharing will further infuriate that red faced muppet but yeah, why should the AFL just bow down to him when working class, territorial clubs like ours get kicked in the gutter once we drop out of the top 8.

Imo though I don't see Collingwood as the problem, its Essendon and Carlton that stuffs us up and to a lesser extent Richmond. I think if theDogs and Saints can iimprove partnerships off field it could help our situations. We will never receive support from North, they are a geographical rival of the Dogs, same with Essendon. But you guys compete with Richmond and Hawthorn for territory.

As long as the AFL keeps fixturing Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond against each other twice every year there is little scope for serious change. These matches mean that these teams are on TV more often, the smaller teams have fewer opportunities to host these teams to make money and are instead shafted with more matches against interstate teams which are inevitably in crap time slots and do not receive FTA coverage. It becomes a vicious cycle.

I think the AFL really needs to clean up the integrity of its fixture by having all teams play each other a certain number of times over a period of time, and if they claim that good timeslots are awarded based on performance, actually deliver on this statement rather than having Richmond, Carlton and Essendon, who have done stuff all in the last 10 years continually occupying these spots.

This is so unlikely though because the AFL cares too much about money. Instead we'll probably have to continue to live off AFL handouts.

As long as the AFL keeps fixturing Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond against each other twice every year there is little scope for serious change. These matches mean that these teams are on TV more often, the smaller teams have fewer opportunities to host these teams to make money and are instead shafted with more matches against interstate teams which are inevitably in crap time slots and do not receive FTA coverage. It becomes a vicious cycle.

I think the AFL really needs to clean up the integrity of its fixture by having all teams play each other a certain number of times over a period of time, and if they claim that good timeslots are awarded based on performance, actually deliver on this statement rather than having Richmond, Carlton and Essendon, who have done stuff all in the last 10 years continually occupying these spots.

This is so unlikely though because the AFL cares too much about money. Instead we'll probably have to continue to live off AFL handouts.
There is a thought that clubs like the Saints and the Dogs need handouts to live. If there was an equalisation based upon the refusal to give lesser clubs a fairer fixture and fairer access to FTA, expecially on Friday and Saturday night when it is live to air as distinct from being delayed by a couple of hours, then poorer clubs can say this is not an equalisation payment, it is a compensation payment. This would make it more stark that every club should have a fair shake at decent exposure. Channel 7 should know by now that it cannot pick good games in February.

Not the car manufacturer. Still in talks with them. Unsure where it sits and why but I know up until last month where we would call home was an issue.

It's ridiculous how hard we have to work to get sponsors on board. The big clubs have them lined up but we have to bend over backwards.
Stavro is correct, we have been in talks with a leading brand in the automotive industry but our current (Moorabbin announcement soon) lack of home really hurting us.
To sign all of the sponsors that we have this year is an absolute credit to the team involved, it's bloody hard work. The tide is turning though, thanks to the vision started by Matt Finnis (who may be our greatest ever recruit) our club is looking a little sexier to the media. We are slowly turning the tide which is a huge accomplishment considering the near terminal mess we were in 18 months ago.

WGAF, Audi's are a heap of s**t and for people who want a European car who can't afford a Merc or BMW.
Once we start winning games and playing finals again the tide will turn, it's business 101.

WGAF, Audi's are a heap of s**t and for people who want a European car who can't afford a Merc or BMW.
Once we start winning games and playing finals again the tide will turn, it's business 101.
This would read differently if they did sign with us

Indeed. I don't really care how s**t their cars are if they are going to pay us $1m a year. Hell I'll take less than that and still wont complain.
sponsors need to be careful with who they sign with. Signing with one team might just antogonise the supporters of all other teams. I use Iinet, but feel less than pleased they are with Hawthorn. I don't mind the brand recognition that Tasmania gets from Hawthorn and I expect that a choice of holiday would not be influenced negatively. With a very discretionary choice like a car, this does affect you. Audi does not need brand recognition, so aligning itself with Hawthorn might not work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on this, I know for a fact that with DeWALT (brand of StanleyBlackandDecker aka global hand/powertool company worth a few bil), both the Dogs and Richmond (along with the Paramatta Eels and another NRL club I can't recall at this stage) submitted propositions for sponsorship, seemingly access to the MCG, agreements with billboards and coverage opportunities at the ground, media, as I'm sure you've noticed on MMM several spots during the AFL coverage played at least a minor role into why the brand and the sponsorship went with Richmond instead of the Dogs, plus there is also synergy with the branding with DeWALT being yellow & black as well as the Stanley range we then also brought out and sponsorship is also about association and selling a message.

This is not to say that the Dogs weren't worthy of it, sometimes the other offer simply gels too well with the company in question.

Even if I do question working for a company that places "Guaranteed Tough" with the Richmond footy club. Oxymoron if ever there was one.

sponsors need to be careful with who they sign with. Signing with one team might just antogonise the supporters of all other teams. I use Iinet, but feel less than pleased they are with Hawthorn. I don't mind the brand recognition that Tasmania gets from Hawthorn and I expect that a choice of holiday would not be influenced negatively. With a very discretionary choice like a car, this does affect you. Audi does not need brand recognition, so aligning itself with Hawthorn might not work.
I'm sure the publicity they get from putting their brand out there vastly outweighs the possibility of anyone not buying their product because they sponsor 'x' team.

Everyone needs brand recognition. It's why big companies continue to advertise even when they're pulling in money hand over fist.

I agree.
I won't holiday in Tassie anymore co's of the Hawks.
I won't eat a Mars bar co's of the Blues.
I won't drive a Mazda cos of Nth Melb.
I wont inject myself with horse steroids co's of Essendon.
And I won't pull out all my teeth and go on the dole because of Collingwood.

the AFL and the clubs need to recognise they are in the same boat. the game has a serious cost issue that can only be managed by an off-field cap and better equalisation/revenue sharing measures. there also needs to be a greater emphasis on nurturing talent through to the AFL and the importance state leagues and community sport plays

clubs like hawthorn recklessly spending money to keep their balance sheet down so that they can argue against equalisation is serious threat to the game. its robbing the game of money that could be going into the grass roots and the future of football

instead they'd be happy to see the game rott around them. maybe hawthorn can play collingwood every year, as there will be nothing else around them

WCE and Freo are now starting to understand the plight faced by the likes of us and the doggies, the AFC and port

How so? The Eagles are rolling in money like Scrooge MacDuck in his money bin.

they might not be anymore

new stadium = new stadium deal

WCE and Freo are owned by the WAFC they pay a yearly flat licence fee to the AFL. then are free to make what ever they make at subiaco. the stadium operator at subi is the WAFC. eagles and dockers get a good deal, 70c in the $1. in comparison we get i think 55c in the dollar or somewhere around there (cant re-call exactly)

the state government is tendering for the operator of the new stadium. WAFC has to win the rights all over again against two competitors, one of which is a private company run by mike fitzpatrick

whispers are the new deal will not be anywhere near what the existing one is. i've posted a thread on the main board about it

It's ridiculous how hard we have to work to get sponsors on board. The big clubs have them lined up but we have to bend over backwards.
Stavro is correct, we have been in talks with a leading brand in the automotive industry but our current (Moorabbin announcement soon) lack of home really hurting us.
To sign all of the sponsors that we have this year is an absolute credit to the team involved, it's bloody hard work. The tide is turning though, thanks to the vision started by Matt Finnis (who may be our greatest ever recruit) our club is looking a little sexier to the media. We are slowly turning the tide which is a huge accomplishment considering the near terminal mess we were in 18 months ago.

When we finally jag this sponsor. Alot will change about our club in the eyes of everyone. The work that ghost alluded to re finnis and the club putting in is huge. They have turned this club right around and there are so many seeds planted that over time we will reap the rewards.

When we make the moorabbin announcement in the near future and as plans and details slip through about the deal - everyone will be excited. Ghost and myself have alluded to how big this is to the club. But it will change our landscape. We just need our supporters to get on board.

When we finally jag this sponsor. Alot will change about our club in the eyes of everyone. The work that ghost alluded to re finnis and the club putting in is huge. They have turned this club right around and there are so many seeds planted that over time we will reap the rewards.

When we make the moorabbin announcement in the near future and as plans and details slip through about the deal - everyone will be excited. Ghost and myself have alluded to how big this is to the club. But it will change our landscape. We just need our supporters to get on board.

RE mooradin deal is done i'm told. funding secured etc.

just waiting basically to go through the process/formalities like scoping etc

RE mooradin deal is done i'm told. funding secured etc.

just waiting basically to go through the process/formalities like scoping etc
I have some very good mail that we are shipping in Germany's best waterslide engineers to completely outpace those fremantle flogs. Im talking pulling 5gs here people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back