News New Sponsors

Remove this Banner Ad

There's an article on Saints.com.au about how Jason Holmes' dad and his wife were in town recently, and about his background and journey. It also put a strange emphasis on the fact that Kevin Holmes was given a Toyota to drive around Melbourne.

There's a big photo at the top of the article:
Holmes-19biogcar.jpg

And at the end, some completely unsubtle paragraphs

Kevin and Mary Holmes enjoyed the benefits of driving a Toyota during their stay in Melbourne, and having spent the majority of his career in Europe, Kevin did not have any issues driving on the left side of the road.

“In the US we drive on the right, but I played in Greece and other countries where I learned to drive on the left,” he said with a smile

“So it wasn’t a problem. We are very thankful to Toyota and the AFL for giving us the use of a car here during our stay. We appreciate the support from that perspective but also Tony Brown and the St Kilda Football Club more generally.”

Toyota are obviously huge sponsors of the game in general, but I thought it was strange that an article on our website, not the AFL's, written by one of our media guys (Tom Morris), would put such a big emphasis on it.

Toyota also already famously sponsor Adelaide, which I can't see ending any time soon, but maybe they've got more to give. There were strong rumours about a car company getting involved not all that long ago..

I noticed that as well. Seemed really obvious, but I don't think there's any way they can sponsor two teams is there?

It mentioned that the car was provided by the AFL/Toyota so maybe that was their way of paying for the free car? Pretty strange either way, honestly.

Were replacd by Holden as a partner of Collingwood a couple years ago, would probably need to be a good deal for them to step back in I'd imagine.
cars for all the members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's an article on Saints.com.au about how Jason Holmes' dad and his wife were in town recently, and about his background and journey. It also put a strange emphasis on the fact that Kevin Holmes was given a Toyota to drive around Melbourne.

Holmes-19biogcar.jpg

Toyota are obviously huge sponsors of the game in general, but I thought it was strange that an article on our website, not the AFL's, written by one of our media guys (Tom Morris), would put such a big emphasis on it.

Toyota also already famously sponsor Adelaide, which I can't see ending any time soon, but maybe they've got more to give. There were strong rumours about a car company getting involved not all that long ago..
I think it's more likely our club contacted the AFL to get him the story told and the freebies to go with it. Part of the reciprocal deal was the article promoting the car.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gday guys, we were discussing this on our board, I think it's relevant for both teams and we should both be concerned.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/a...oy-life-in-the-fast-lane-20150619-ghsmgd.html

The gap between the AFL's haves and have-nots has widened with Hawthorn inking a $3 million sponsorship deal with German car maker Audi.

While the deal solidifies Hawthorn's place among the financial powerhouses of AFL football, it has raised concerns for some at AFL House, who were hoping Audi would strike a deal with St Kilda or the Western Bulldogs.

"To see a global company such as Audi coming into our national code in a big way, that's something to be proud of," said advertising mogul Harold Mitchell. "The trouble for the AFL is that these big global companies will only want to back the big and successful clubs. Emirates and Collingwood. Volkswagen and Sydney. Now it's Audi and Hawthorn."

To put the growing financial imbalance in football in perspective, Hawthorn will have three sponsors willing to pay in excess of $1 million a year next season, with Audi joining the government of Tasmania and iiNet as a major partner. Only a handful of other clubs – Collingwood, Sydney and West Coast among them – can make such a boast. It's probably no accident that those four clubs fill four of the top five positions on the AFL ladder.

"The AFL is trying, but deals like this show why it's going to make life for the smaller clubs very hard to compete," Mr Mitchell said. "It's going to make life even harder for the AFL, who want to even out the competition. In general, the big clubs are being successful over longer periods, while the poorer clubs are getting mired near the bottom."

"We pushed hard for St Kilda and for the Bulldogs," said an AFL insider. "The fact is, the majority of big sponsorship deals don't originate with the clubs, they originate with companies approaching the AFL. We know what deals are available and try to help match up sponsors with clubs."

Just some of the key messages/quotes of that article. It sucks with the FIXtures both clubs are dealt, we both barely get prime time free to air to promote our brands, our footballers, the membership opportunities that comes with it etc and as a spiral effect, both clubs have to settle for second rate sponsors, you guys an iced coffee brand, us a taco/wrap brand due to the big companies not seeing us as worthy sponsorship recipients.

Now Hawthorn are setting up shop in arguably your territory and are clearly looking to take over the whole east/south-east.

Both clubs should clearly finish ahead of Carlton this year and I'd hope both clubs can finish ahead of Essendon also. Both of our clubs play an exciting brand of football and the playing future for both of us looks bright. We need to put our foot down at the end of the year and demand more exposure while we are ahead of these "once was big 4" that get looked after when they don't deserve to be. We must demand more than 50% FTA Victoria games next year if we both win a solid amount of games, say the Dogs win 9-12 games and you guys win 8-10 games and both teams finish ahead of Essendon and Carlton, there has to be a solid enough argument that both our teams get the same or more free to air exposure next year than these rabbles regardless of their larger supporter bases. Look at Carlton this year on Friday nights, smashed every time and they were bad last year also, they didn't deserve their 7 Thursday/Fridays this year and they're on FTA 14/15 times in total.

Both our clubs have only been given 8 FTA games this year, the number has to increase to at least 11 next year including at least 2 Friday night games each if our performances are good enough to suggest that we're on the up, which currently they definitely are, if we could play each other on a Friday night that would be great and you guys get your game against Collingwood per normal also and we'd be happy to play a Richmond or Geelong or something. The Dogs haven't been given a Friday night game since 2012 and the opportunity to get a Saturday night is rare itself, 5 this year for us but only 3 last year.

But yeah, this deal just highlights how unequal the competition is and both our clubs have to work together I believe to ensure we're given a fair go. We may be rivals on field, but we are in the same boat off the field in struggle town. Looking forward to our game next week :D

Gday guys, we were discussing this on our board, I think it's relevant for both teams and we should both be concerned.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/audis-3m-deal-with-hawthorAs for us-shows-how-some-afl-clubs-enjoy-life-in-the-fast-lane-20150619-ghsmgd.html

Just some of the key messages/quotes of that article. It sucks with the FIXtures both clubs are dealt, we both barely get prime time free to air to promote our brands, our footballers, the membership opportunities that comes with it etc and as a spiral effect, both clubs have to settle for second rate sponsors, you guys an iced coffee brand, us a taco/wrap brand due to the big companies not seeing us as worthy sponsorship recipients.

Now Hawthorn are setting up shop in arguably your territory and are clearly looking to take over the whole east/south-east.

Both clubs should clearly finish ahead of Carlton this year and I'd hope both clubs can finish ahead of Essendon also. Both of our clubs play an exciting brand of football and the playing future for both of us looks bright. We need to put our foot down at the end of the year and demand more exposure while we are ahead of these "once was big 4" that get looked after when they don't deserve to be. We must demand more than 50% FTA Victoria games next year if we both win a solid amount of games, say the Dogs win 9-12 games and you guys win 8-10 games and both teams finish ahead of Essendon and Carlton, there has to be a solid enough argument that both our teams get the same or more free to air exposure next year than these rabbles regardless of their larger supporter bases. Look at Carlton this year on Friday nights, smashed every time and they were bad last year also, they didn't deserve their 7 Thursday/Fridays this year and they're on FTA 14/15 times in total.

Both our clubs have only been given 8 FTA games this year, the number has to increase to at least 11 next year including at least 2 Friday night games each if our performances are good enough to suggest that we're on the up, which currently they definitely are, if we could play each other on a Friday night that would be great and you guys get your game against Collingwood per normal also and we'd be happy to play a Richmond or Geelong or something. The Dogs haven't been given a Friday night game since 2012 and the opportunity to get a Saturday night is rare itself, 5 this year for us but only 3 last year.

But yeah, this deal just highlights how unequal the competition is and both our clubs have to work together I believe to ensure we're given a fair go. We may be rivals on field, but we are in the same boat off the field in struggle town. Looking forward to our game next week :D
I think Audi might be the car company some were saying were considering
becoming our sponsor?

Anyway, I agree that the unequal fixturing and TV broadcasts are a load of crap but unfortunately I don't see any drastic changes happening. You guys in particular deserve more prime time slots and better FTA coverage, especially if you go on to play finals this year.

I think what you should reasonably request is a home Friday night game, and a good number of Saturday night games. Maybe 12 FTA games would be a stretch at the moment, but 10 should be the bare minimum.

audis-3m-deal-with-hawthorn-shows-how-some-afl-clubs-enjoy-life-in-the-fast-lane

this is probably the car manufacturer that was rumoured.

Good to see the AFL feels helpless in helping the smaller clubs but still seems blind on the issue of the fixture corresponding to member numbers and bums on seats.

If you had 3m in your pocket to drop on a club, would you choose the saints\WB who get lumped with a s**t load of 4.40pm sunday slots and heck all Friday nights, or the Hawks with the generous game schedules.....

audis-3m-deal-with-hawthorn-shows-how-some-afl-clubs-enjoy-life-in-the-fast-lane

Good to see the AFL feels helpless in helping the smaller clubs but still seems blind on the issue of the fixture corresponding to member numbers and bums on seats.

If you had 3m in your pocket to drop on a club, would you choose the saints\WB who get lumped with a s**t load of 4.40pm sunday slots and **** all Friday nights, or the Hawks with the generous game schedules.....
I read that article this morning. It made for depressing reading. Especially when you see the comparative sponsorship revenues of all clubs. For all our good work recently, the reality is we are still a fair way behind the competition in a number of areas.

I read that article this morning. It made for depressing reading. Especially when you see the comparative sponsorship revenues of all clubs. For all our good work recently, the reality is we are still a fair way behind the competition in a number of areas.
Yeah it's disappointing and makes you wonder when a big breakthrough off the field will occur. Look at North for etc, they've been with Mazda since their glory days and don't want to get rid of them.

If you had 3m in your pocket to drop on a club, would you choose the saints\WB who get lumped with a s**t load of 4.40pm sunday slots and **** all Friday nights, or the Hawks with the generous game schedules.....

Not the car manufacturer. Still in talks with them. Unsure where it sits and why but I know up until last month where we would call home was an issue.

Holmes-19biogcar.jpg

Have you seen what Jason drives?

It was a big deal ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back