Prediction St.Kilda Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

If Jones can stay fit, he could play plenty of games this year. He brings something different that our other mids don't have with his speed and explosiveness. The big question is if he can stay fit enough to get some games under his belt.

I doubt we would have given him a new contract if we didn't think he could contribute this year. He'd had seen the same fate as DMac.

Maybe I'm getting carried away with the hype, but I feel like Jones has been passed by a few in the queue for selection. Dow in particular takes his spot right now, and someone like Wilson would be in line for that role next year.

If we could guarantee a full season plus finals with no injuries I feel like he'd be a walk up start, but the history of consistent injuries carry too much risk.

In no world is that the case. Jones has had about 4 good games as a Saint and is at his ceiling. Windhager and Dow both have huge potential and are already better footballers.

Just remember footy is a subjective topic people are allowed their opinion.

FWIW I rate all three and believe there is chance all play round 1 if fit. Jones has played plenty of good games for the club its just when he looks like having a solid stretch of form he breaks down. History shows that may happen again but when he's fit and in form he is best 23 IMO. Windhager has shown to be quite resilient and deserves his spot but I think RTB wants to play him out of defence. Dow gives us similiar traits to Jones, as he can breakaway from contests which obviously our midfield needs.

Just remember footy is a subjective topic people are allowed their opinion.

FWIW I rate all three and believe there is chance all play round 1 if fit. Jones has played plenty of good games for the club its just when he looks like having a solid stretch of form he breaks down. History shows that may happen again but when he's fit and in form he is best 23 IMO. Windhager has shown to be quite resilient and deserves his spot but I think RTB wants to play him out of defence. Dow gives us similiar traits to Jones, as he can breakaway from contests which obviously our midfield needs.
I’m sure they will find a spot for Windy whether it’s half back, wing or some on ball. He is a natural leader who is driving standards at the Club and you can see just wants to get the best out of himself. He just needs more AFL games.

He wouldn’t have got Spuds number if the coaches didn’t rate him highly.

Jones 2 way running is way worse than Clark’s, and I feel like he’s lost a bit of that explosive running. Also, his disposal by foot is indiscriminate.

I genuinely hope we see him back to his best, and I’m always happy to be proved wrong if it helps us win games. But, I still have Zak much further back in the running.

His point of difference is his on ball pace. I think Byrnes is the only player that has a similar pace advantage.

In no world is that the case. Jones has had about 4 good games as a Saint and is at his ceiling. Windhager and Dow both have huge potential and are already better footballers.

Windhager plays half back, Dow probably interchange/mid rotate. Jones, again, if fit, is ~currently~ a better mix with Steele and Crouch. Obvs blokes might race past him.

What has you so convinced by Dow? Bloke is plox by foot and shown nothing until the last few rounds. He is pretty similar to jones but not quite as explosive so I don’t get how you’re all in on one but not the other?

Windhager plays half back, Dow probably interchange/mid rotate. Jones, again, if fit, is ~currently~ a better mix with Steele and Crouch. Obvs blokes might race past him.

What has you so convinced by Dow? Bloke is plox by foot and shown nothing until the last few rounds. He is pretty similar to jones but not quite as explosive so I don’t get how you’re all in on one but not the other?
Jones might be a very decent Sub option whilst building up match fitness- brings speed and hardness.

Would make an impact from 3Q onwards.

Jones might be a very decent Sub option whilst building up match fitness- brings speed and hardness.

Would make an impact from 3Q onwards.
Dow just needs continuity and a coach that believes in him…should get both with us!
Jones provides genuine toughness, speed and aggression..hope he gets a good run at it this year!!

I’m sure they will find a spot for Windy whether it’s half back, wing or some on ball. He is a natural leader who is driving standards at the Club and you can see just wants to get the best out of himself. He just needs more AFL games.

He wouldn’t have got Spuds number if the coaches didn’t rate him highly.
Best role for Windhager is a run with role

It's always hard to make statements on who is better, based off half a preseason.

For me Jones is in the starting 18 and a key part of the strategic team build, but ONLY if he is fit for a season plus finals.

History suggests otherwise, so he has to be considered somewhere between "bonus if fit" and "depth".

I think you play him with reduced minutes to get the most out of him at the lowest risk. The question is how many players can we carry on reduced minutes? Last year we carried Clark, which we shouldn't have to do anymore.

Having a look at the TOG and substitute stats for 2023 is interesting.

Jones 4 games, subbed off once, 54% TOG (I recall he might have been injured after the sub was already triggered)
Ross 17 games, subbed off once, 66% TOG
Clark 19 games, subbed off once, subbed on 3 times, 58% TOG

Ross will need more TOG in '24.

Defenders: Wilkie, Howard, Battle, Webster, NWM, Stocker, Sinclair
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Windhager, Owens, Hill, Wood, Clark
Forwards: King, Sharman, Caminiti, Higgins, Butler, Phillipou, Henry

Not selected: Draftees, Dow, Jones, Ross, Byrnes, Hayes, Cordy, Van Es, Hotton, Keeler, Membrey, Paton
2 Feb update

Defenders: Wilkie, Howard, Battle, Webster, NWM, Stocker, Sinclair
Midfielders: Marshall, Steele, Crouch, Windhager, Ross, Hill, Wood, Clark
Forwards: King, Sharman, Membrey, Higgins, Phillipou, Henry, Owens

There's a real feel that some of those left out of your side need to come in, Punter. But who comes out is not easy!

From your list not selected, Caminiti, Byrnes, Wilson and Collard could all come in. Paton if there's a specific role for him. Dow if fit.

Ross, Clark, Henry, Higgins, Membrey, Stocker, Webster - some of these could drop out.

Who comes out will be pending form in the preseason matches, but I'm hoping the selection is on excellent form of others rather than dropoff in those already 'in' the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a real feel that some of those left out of your side need to come in, Punter. But who comes out is not easy!

From your list not selected, Caminiti, Byrnes, Wilson and Collard could all come in. Paton if there's a specific role for him. Dow if fit.

Ross, Clark, Henry, Higgins, Membrey, Stocker, Webster - some of these could drop out.

Who comes out will be pending form in the preseason matches, but I'm hoping the selection is on excellent form of others rather than dropoff in those already 'in' the side.

I think we'll start with pretty much what Punter has but there will be zero tolerance for poor performance.

I'd like to see another ball winner in the team, and i rate Ross but i'd like to see Dow or Jones in , maybe for Ross.
I'd doubt that the first year players are ready to make a major impact, and against the Cats, no.
Collard a bit of a wild card though, who knows what he can do.

Funny thing is I don't it will be that difficult to see Collard playing rd 1. With Gresh and Butler not there we need someone to replace him.

Webster Wilkie Stocker
Sinclair Battle NAS
Wood Steele Hill
Pou Owens Sharman
Higgins King Collard

Marshal Crouch Clark

Windy Howard Dow Henry (Ross)

Cordy Byrnes Skunk Wilson

We look really strong with runners everywhere.

Extended
I think Byrnes, Wilson and Henry and fighting it out for one spot at the moment.
Jones and Ross contending one spot.
Cordy and Doug
I couldn;t fit in Skunk I just don;t know whose spot he takes.
I think without Collard we're too light on for smalls

Funny thing is I don't it will be that difficult to see Collard playing rd 1. With Gresh and Butler not there we need someone to replace him.

Webster Wilkie Stocker
Sinclair Battle NAS
Wood Steele Hill
Pou Owens Sharman
Higgins King Collard

Marshal Crouch Clark

Extended
I think Byrnes, Wilson and Henry and fighting it out for one spot at the moment.
Cordy and Doug

If Butler is out yeah, but Butler is our main pressure forward and Collard can't do that.

Webster Wilkie Stocker
Sinclair Battle NAS
Wood Steele Hill
Pou Owens Sharman
Higgins King Collard

Marshal Crouch Clark

Extended
Cordy and Doug

100% on Collard. We don't have many that play that role. Unless we deploy Henry down there but that's not how we've been training him.

Collard weighs less than Jack Lonie did, what's he going to do, make a scary face?

Collard weighs less than Jack Lonie did, what's he going to do, make a scary face?
Some small guys can.

Remember Cyril Rioli in his debut year?

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back