St Kilda lobby AFL for gay pride game

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys all miss the point. I reserve the right as is a

Are you deliberately skewing the issue here?
I respect your right to call me a campaigner.
You need to respect homophobes rights to be homophobic, despite your own views.
I have the right to think and believe what I wish.
This is my point. It is not the AFLs role or is it the appropriate forum to state what is an acceptable opinion or belief.
I am not trying to change your opinion.I respect your god given right to hold one. If you don't afford the same level of respect you are being highly hypocritical and this is an example of thought policing.

Freedom of thought trumps all.
The step after the AFL saying being gay is okay is for the big tough guys of the AFL to say it's ok to feel sad and talk about that with your friends. They can't do that until they have said being gay is ok, otherwise it isn't inclusive.

This is about keeping young men alive and happy.

That's bullshit. As long as they don't actively/publicly show it.
That's what I meant. They can think it. But if they start exhibiting it, or attacking other people based on their views, then they are.

The notion that the AFL doesn't have social responsibility--that its just an institution designed to entertain--is a comforting position to take but its thoroughly incorrect. When you have an institution as far-reaching and popular as the AFL, its various subsidiaries and offshoots--particularly those involving fans--will almost inevitably reinforce bigoted social binaries if left unchecked. Only a fool would contend that AFL-specific homophobic sentiments don't command serious attention, step foot in any pub, go to any game and spend time with rowdy supporters, and insults including the words "NTTAWWT", "gay" etc. will greet your ears. Just 3 years ago Stephen Milne used a homophobic slur to insult Lumumba--people must realise that unfortunately homophobia, crude sexual politics and the AFL are intimately related. When you take a child to a game or the pub they are bombarded with retrograde sexual-social POVs and, as the AFL is providing the breeding ground for these sentiments, it is important that they too take a stand on the issue. Its laughable that people ITT think that social awareness like this will snowball to encompass every form of political issue imaginable. They fail to realise that homophobia (unlike most other socio-cultural issues) is intimately related to the AFL and that's why a stand like this should be taken--not simply because its currently a hot political topic in Australia. The notion that the AFL is shoving political agendas down supporters throats is ridiculous, you either support gay rights--and a game like this shouldn't trouble you in the least + no political agenda is being forced down your throat--or you're a bigot and a game like this will challenge your parochial and conservative worldview.

The step after the AFL saying being gay is okay is for the big tough guys of the AFL to say it's ok to feel sad and talk about that with your friends. They can't do that until they have said being gay is ok, otherwise it isn't inclusive.

This is about keeping young men alive and happy.

Really? Do we have a suicide problem in the AFL that I'm unaware of, or did you just make that one up to fit your argument?

That's what I meant. They can think it. But if they start exhibiting it, or attacking other people based on their views, then they are.

Ah, but on the flip side, it's all fine and dandy to be a homophobe so long as you never talk about it.

So what rounds can fill the fixture up with? Remember they need to people who are oppressed and discriminated against:

1. Women's round
2. Indigenous round
3. Gay pride round
4. Multicultural round
5. Islamic round
6. Domestic violence round
7. Anti bullying round
8. Fat acceptance round
9. Transgender round
10. Adam Goodes round
11. Mentally disabled round
12. Cecil the Lion round

Cmon guys, 11 more rounds to fill.

Really? Do we have a suicide problem in the AFL that I'm unaware of, or did you just make that one up to fit your argument?
We have a huge suicide problem in Australia, if you're under 44 you are the most likely cause of your own death.

The AFL, like it or not, is a group of role models and heroes of young people growing up.

Ah, but on the flip side, it's all fine and dandy to be a homophobe so long as you never talk about it.
Well it could be said it still makes you a campaigner you're just hiding it. But then there's probably lots of people who think lots of racist or homophobic things who never say it or allow it to affect their treatment of other people so it's much of a muchness.

So what rounds can fill the fixture up with? Remember they need to people who are oppressed and discriminated against:

1. Women's round
2. Indigenous round
3. Gay pride round
4. Multicultural round
5. Islamic round
6. Domestic violence round
7. Anti bullying round
8. Fat acceptance round
9. Transgender round
10. Adam Goodes round
11. Mentally disabled round
12. Cecil the Lion round

Cmon guys, 11 more rounds to fill.
offended White boy round

Exactly! Where does it stop. What about a Pro-choice round, or a Pro-Israel round? How do you guys think this will end?
My alternative is to keep this bullshit out of AFL. Society has and always will evolve all by its own little self.
You guys all miss the point. I reserve the right as is a

Are you deliberately skewing the issue here?
I respect your right to call me a campaigner.
You need to respect homophobes rights to be homophobic, despite your own views.
I have the right to think and believe what I wish.
This is my point. It is not the AFLs role or is it the appropriate forum to state what is an acceptable opinion or belief.
I am not trying to change your opinion.I respect your god given right to hold one. If you don't afford the same level of respect you are being highly hypocritical and this is an example of thought policing.

Freedom of thought trumps all.
For your sake, I hope it ends up being Saints v Crows for the rainbow game/round :D . They have a few options already!
764747-rory-sloane.jpg

671467-worst-jumpers.jpg

670078-worst-jumpers.jpg

These threads never end well.

"What about rounds for *insert lifestyle here*?"
"Gay agenda"
"*insert club here* would be perfect candidates for the game"
"Bigot"
"I'm not a bigot"

etc.

Closed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)