Movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens - No spoilers allowed

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Office: ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Shreds Records With $238 Million Debut

Star Wars: The Force Awakens” micronized box office records this weekend, racking up a monumental $238 million opening and justifying the Walt Disney Company’s $4 billion purchase of LucasFilm.

Its opening soared past the previous high-water mark of $208.8 million established last summer by “Jurassic World.” It more than doubles “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’s” December record debut of $84.6 million.

Globally, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” scored the second biggest opening in history, earning $517 million worldwide, behind only “Jurassic World’s” $525 million bow. Unlike “Jurassic World,” the seventh film in the “Star Wars” saga did not have the benefit of showing in China on its inaugural weekend. It opens there on Jan. 9.

Men made up the bulk of ticket buyers, comprising 58% of the opening weekend audience. Adults represented 71% of the crowd with families accounting for 20% of consumers. The film with its inter-galactic battles and space-hopping adventures played particularly well in premium formats — 3D was 47% of tickets sales, Imax accounted for 12%, and premium large formats were responsible for 7%.

A few, brave films debuted against the “Star Wars” juggernaut. Twentieth Century Fox tried to snag families with young children, offering up “Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip.” The sequel to the on-going “Chipmunks” franchise earned $14.4 million from 3,653 theaters. It cost $75 million to make.

Universal fielded Tina Fey and Amy Poehler’s “Sisters,” a comedy about two siblings who have a raucous house party, to the tune of $13.4 million from 2,952 theaters. The film cost $30 million to produce.

watched it again as i embark on a journey of 3.

introducing offspring to this.

wasnt as bad as i thought. entertaining. the next one i feel will test.

during the LS fights all i could remember was the debates on online forums about Kylos fighting style and how robust and rustic it is

I'm an old man now (40! WTH?) so look back on the movies with a sense of nostalgia, I cannot separate those memories when I watch the films now. So I thought I'd give a 'fresh' perspective, my children (who after all, these films are aimed at a younger audience).

Over the last month I've watched all 9 with my children. My son (14) has seen New Hope, Empire and the first bit of Jedi a few years back when TFA came out and watched TFA in the cinemas, but wasn't interested in TLJ or ROS.

I think we watched in story order (TPM, AOTC, ROTS, Solo, Rogue One, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, TFA, TLJ, ROS

The Ranking:
Son (14) - Rogue One, ESB, ROTS, ROS, ANH, Solo, TLJ, TPM, TFA, ROTJ, AOTC

Major points:
Original Trilogy - "CGI" was so bad but it didn't matter to the movie - best characters and stories but funny acting.
Prequel Trilogy - awesome action scenes, story dragged (girl was hot).
Sequel Trilogy was hard to follow, fights were lame, lots of scenes didn't make any sense (he wondered if they stretched one story into the trilogy).
Standalones - Anakin scene in Rogue One is the best ever Star Wars scene. Maybe Luke vs Empire on salt planet.

Daughter (9) - I'll split these into two - ones she watched through willingly, and ones where she either fell asleep or was more interested in picking the fluff off the blanket.

Watched: ROS, Solo, TFA, TPM, TLJ, ROTJ.
Distracted: ROTS, ANH, Rogue One, ESB, AOTC

Major Points: It's SO slow. So much talking, then action, then talking again. Thought the ewoks were scary, but Chewie was cute. LOVED Rey in ROS, the main guy in Solo and the pilot in TLJ.

Probably a lot biased towards ROS (watched on new tv, as a 'movie' event), and against the Rogue One (watched that after Solo and she fell asleep and missed the Vader finish). I think the child/girl POV connected for her a lot more. HATED ANH/ESB with a passion - not sure if AOTC killed it for her but after that she really lost interest.

HERO: Luke v Rey v Obi-Wan v Anakin
Son - Obi-Wan and Luke kind of similar, Rey is just perfect so not a good character. (sound familliar?). Anakin the best but why so angry? (NOOOOOO....LOL)
Daughter - Rey is the best, Obi-Wan is good. Luke is whiny. Anakin is spoiled brat.

ENEMY: Maul v Dooku
Son - Maul was awesome - best bad guy of all. Dooku was just kinda old, like a weak Palpatine.
Daughter - Maul was scary but tricky. Why was he so dumb when he got cut in half?

MAJOR ENEMY: Kylo v Vader
Son - Vader is terrifying. So big and strong. How did Anakin get so powerful when he became Vader? Does the suit hurt him to make him stronger? Silly Harmonica guy!
Daughter - I don't like the Robot. He sounds scary and is mean. Kylo is always sad and bad at fighting.

ENEMY LEADER:
Palpatine v Snoke
Son - Palpatine is old and funny. Snoke is just a (spoiler the inappropriate)
gay leprechaun.
Daughter - They are old, talk a lot and not very good. Snoke is dumb but Palpatine is really smart until he's dumb too.

Goodness
rey-saber-snow.gif

So Kylo can't catch too

They are old, talk a lot and not very good. Snoke is dumb but Palpatine is really smart until he's dumb too.
Brilliant :thumbsu:

Which version of the original trilogy did you watch? I think the recent cut with added CGI a bit awkward but I love the special effects in the original. Definitely holds up IMO.

Also, 40 isn't old.

SHE IS HOT!

So a 14 year old with little prior exposure to the franchise can spot this?

Yes, especially when watching the movies consecutively.

It's a pretty basic concept.

Part of a good character is having a flaw or weakness, encountering an issue, then growing or developing to overcome it.

Any story longer than about ten minutes has an element of character growth/development.

He actually added something about anime, but I switched off (the finding new powers whenever it helps, I guess I would refer to deus ex machina).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SM
For me a great deal hinges on the storytelling of Luke in the new movie. He is not only the big bridge between old and new but the solvent to this whole new trilogy. Doesnt have to be in every scene but he will now carry that "ancient old religion" on. How he does it is key for me. Not many force users around so I imagine Luke could tap into the force in a big way if he wanted to. Thats a lot of power. Could drive a man crazy?
If I dont buy the Luke story in TFA it will be hard to connect to the movie.
But I have confidence.
Like Kylo, I would like to see somebody finish what Vader started.
Pretty sure the Force doesn't work like that. The Force isn't diluted if you have thousands of Jedi, nor is it heightened if you're the only one.
LOL.
Just reading the thread back for shits and giggles and cos Im so bored.
You nailed the Han line.
I nailed pretty much the direction of Luke.

SM

LOL.
Just reading the thread back for shits and giggles and cos Im so bored.
You nailed the Han line.
I nailed pretty much the direction of Luke.

Ha that's funny, didn't even realise at first that I said that before the movie came out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back