Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Vinnie Jones holds the record for the quickest ever booking in an English soccer match, being booked after just three seconds for a foul on the opposition player Dane Whitehouse in an FA Cup tie between Chelsea and Sheffield United in 1992. Does anybody happen to know who holds the VFL/AFL record for being reported the quickest?

Maybe Bluescope Steele on Maverick Weller this year.

Jason Dunstall kicked 29 goals against Richmond in 1992.

Is that the most a player has kicked against one team in a given season?

I'm guessing Bob Pratt with 26 against Essendon in 1934 might be 2nd?

I suspect that there have been a few at 0 seconds, but one for example
found just now via Trove is...
Brian Taylor (Collingwood) in 1987 vs Melbourne
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/132153398

Didn't Zac Dawson get reported for striking Pods last year in the QF before the ball was even bounced? Pods got the free, and kicked to the wade stand, to a raucous roar as his shot sailed through the goals. To my eternal shock, and probably to 3/4 of the crowd there too, the umpy deigned it a behind. IN the end i think his charge was either withdrawn or dismissed, as i am sure he didn't get a suspension.

Jason Dunstall kicked 29 goals against Richmond in 1992.

Is that the most a player has kicked against one team in a given season?

I'm guessing Bob Pratt with 26 against Essendon in 1934 might be 2nd?

Gls|Year|Player|Club|Opp|Gms
\32|1970|McKenna, Peter|Co|Ca|4
\29|1992|Dunstall, Jason|Ha|Ri|2
\29|1939|Todd, Ron|Co|St|3
\29|1971|Hudson, Peter|Ha|St|4
\28|1947|Fanning, Fred|Me|St|2
\26|1934|Pratt, Bob|Sy|Es|2
\25|1969|Hudson, Peter|Ha|Me|2
\23|1978|Templeton, Kelvin|WB|St|2
\23|1991|Lockett, Tony|St|Sy|2
\23|1993|Modra, Tony|Ad|Ri|2
\23|1995|Lockett, Tony|Sy|Fi|2
\23|1931|Vallence, Harry|Ca|Co|3
\23|1971|McKenna, Peter|Co|Ri|3
\23|1993|Dunstall, Jason|Ha|Ad|3
\23|1916|Gardiner, Vin|Ca|Fi|6

Just a general question - not sure if this has been covered so apologies if so...

But in a scenario when a player kicks out after a behind, without first kicking to himself and playing on, and a player on either side catches that kick, it is my understanding that the player who catches the kick is paid a mark.

However, if the player who kicks out is does not record a kick stat for doing so, and a mark can only be taken from a kick, then how can a player who catches a ball that is kicked in after a behind be recorded with a mark? The player is not marking a kick because the kick-in kick is not counted as a possession - so what is the player marking?

Thanks!

Something I've always thought about but never really known the answer. More about the rules and less about stats, but anyway. When a player's set shot kick is touched a metre out from the line and deflects over the goalline (not deliberately punched through, let's say it just bends the fingers back) – is it counted as a rushed behind or a behind to the kicker?

Where is the line drawn between a regular behind or a rushed behind?

Are there stats for 50m penalties. Im looking for a week by week breakdown. One particular season, adelaide lost to essendon an at aami, and umps were trigger happy all weekend. Id like to know how many were paid

Hawthorn have kicked more goals than points in every game so far this season*, what's the most consecutive amount of games this has occurred?

* except Round 5 :)

14*|Ha|2014 R6 - 2014 R20
\14|Es|1985 R9 - 1985 R22
\13|Ge|2011 R9 - 2012 R21
\13|Es|2004 R3 - 2004 R15
\13|St|2004 R13 - 2004 PF
\13|PA|2002 R3 - 2002 R15
\12|WC|2011 R19 - 2012 R3
\12|WB|2007 R20 - 2008 R9
\12|Ca|2004 R2 - 2004 R13

OK - have been trying to think up a doozy of a question for the gurus here. I think I might have found one.

West Coast have played, on two occasions, opponents who had won their previous match by 157 points.

Rd 7 vs Hawthorn, 1991 (Hawthorn had beaten Fitzroy 231-74 in previous match)
Rd 7 vs Geelong, 2007 (Cats had beaten Richmond 222-65 the week before)

So... obviously a team would have had matches against opposition who had won the week before by one point. But is the Eagles record (let's just ignore the eerie Round 7 coincidence for now, shall we) of twice facing opponents coming off a 157-point win a record?

Or has another team twice (or more) fronted up to opponents who won the week before by a greater margin?

Inspired by the above question:
In Ted Whitten's (321 games for Footscray) last game, the scores were Footscray 11.13 (79) to Hawthorn 11.10 (76).
In Steve Wallis' (261 games for Footscray) last game, the scores were Essendon 11.13 (79) to Footscray 11.10 (76).

Can any other two club legends with more than 200 games for their club claim to have had farewell matches where the scores were the same, regardless of one ending with a victory and the other in defeat?

Inspired by the above question:
In Ted Whitten's (321 games for Footscray) last game, the scores were Footscray 11.13 (79) to Hawthorn 11.10 (76).
In Steve Wallis' (261 games for Footscray) last game, the scores were Essendon 11.13 (79) to Footscray 11.10 (76).

Can any other two club legends with more than 200 games for their club claim to have had farewell matches where the scores were the same, regardless of one ending with a victory and the other in defeat?

Not in different matches. There aren't even any cases for 150-game players.

For 100+ (getting outside the definition of "club champions", counting career games and not necessarily club games) there are nine instances:

Co Tony Elshaug & Ray Gabelich, Tony Elshaug & John Henderson, George Clayden & Dermott Brereton, George Clayden & Gary Pert
Ge Glenn Kilpatrick & Reg Hickey*, Glenn Kilpatrick & Tommy Quinn*
Ha Phil Hay & Bill Pavey*
PA Dom Cassisi & Fabian Francis, Dom Cassisi & Brayden Lyle

* scores were the same for the players' club and opponents

If they never play another game...
Ca Matthew Kreuzer & David Rhys-Jones*
PA Matt White & Fabian Francis, Matt White & Brayden Lyle

Not sure where this in terms of being stump-worthy but who were the first players per team to be reported during a game and, further to that, each club's first player suspendion?
Hawthorn's was a doozy - Wal Williams in R5, 1925 was reported for disputing an umpire's decision and using insulting language. He copped 12 weeks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure where this in terms of being stump-worthy but who were the first players per team to be reported during a game and, further to that, each club's first player suspendion?

Melbourne's first was Dan Moriarity for "Umpire Jostling" in R9, 1900. He was also responsible for the second and third reports on record. Moriarty later died after being hit by a train - the authorities claimed it was suicide based on the position of the body but Melbourne's then secretary testified that he might have ended up in front of the train after suffering an epileptic fit.

Hawthorn v Sth/Syd at Princes Park is the only better at 15-0

Some others
Coll. v Stk at Vic Park 77-7
Carl. V STk - Princes - 80-8-2

I also noticed Melb are none-fuh in their last 19 outings at Docklands, the longest such streak since Dogs v Kardinia Park which in ended '71

Last edited:
As for broken sequences, Collingwood was 28-0 v Hawthorn at Victoria Park. Also 24-0 v St.Kilda and 23-0 v North.

Richmond was 15-0 against North and 14-0 v Hawthorn at Punt Road. Carlton was 14-0 v Hawthorn at Princes Park, and Collingwood 14-0 v Hawthorn at Glenferrie.

probably the most pointless stats question of all time, but:

in the pies/lions game this week, if they line up as named, there will be 12 surnames starting A, B or C - Adcock, Aish, Ball, Beams x 2, Bewick, Blair, Brooomhead, Clarke, Cloke, Close, Crisp. This would be a record, surely?

probably the most pointless stats question of all time, but:

in the pies/lions game this week, if they line up as named, there will be 12 surnames starting A, B or C - Adcock, Aish, Ball, Beams x 2, Bewick, Blair, Brooomhead, Clarke, Cloke, Close, Crisp. This would be a record, surely?

Considering the Hawks had about 8 players starting with S last year...maybe not.

Suckling, Schoenmakers, Savage, Shiels, Smith, Sewell, Stratton and Simpkin.

Here's the response I received from a query sent to the AFL's Col Hutchinson regarding what I believe were/are the only remaining unknown ex-player DOB:-

I’m wondering if you now know the DOB for any of these ex-players:-

Richard Thomas Campbell (St Kilda) born 08/12/1884

Richard James Casey (South Melbourne) born between 23 May & 8 July, 1891

James Schellnack (South Melbourne) born between 25/05/1879 & 09/01/1880

William Hennington (South Melbourne) born between 05/11/1891 & 29/04/1892

This year the swans have only conceded 246 points in 19 1st quarters - an average of 12.95 points per Q1. When was the last time a team averaged less over a full season?

1964 Hawthorn 11.94 and Geelong 12.75

home & away only - 1965 St.Kilda 11.89

There were a handful of instances between 1955-62, then it's all the way back to 1928.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back