Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS scored 1270 points in 2012. Melbourne are on target for 1320 or 60 per game over 22 rounds.

In more recent times, what are the worst "Points For" totals?

GWS scored 1270 points in 2012. Melbourne are on target for 1320 or 60 per game over 22 rounds.

In more recent times, what are the worst "Points For" totals?

Since 1970 (min 22 round season), 1270 has been the lowest followed by 1452 (Fitzroy in '96) and 1455 (Melbourne in 2013).

Geelong have had the two highest Points For during this period with 3057 in '92 and 2916 in '89/

-------------

My own question, based on UFG's post:

The Eagles are now 5-0 in games where Eric Mackenzie kicks a goal.

Of all players who have played at least 'x' games, what are the best W-L records when a certain player kicks a goal? And what about for current players only?

'x' is any suitable number deemed appropriate.

On the weekend Naitanui is credited with 16 disposals, 20 contested possesions and 1 uncontested possesion.

Are there any other examples of players having their combined contested and uncontested possesions exceed their disposal tally? I haven't seen it before.

Are there any neat little spreadsheets that list the finishing positions and/or final ladders of each season in the VFL/AFL online anywhere that I can play around with?

Wondering Paul whether you can answer this.

Varcoe is 111-21, and Selwood is 144-34 so far win-wise, who is the player to have achieved a figure of 100 more wins than losses in the shortest career span? Would Selwood have been that player? Or a Hawk from the 80's possibly?

Top 3: Selwood 156 (128-28), Albert Collier 164 (130-30-4) and Len Murphy 170 (133-33-4).

Interesting with Len Murphy, born in 1909 and playing almost 200 games in total, his wiki entry says date of death unknown! Unusual for that to be the case of someone born in the 20th century and having played an excellent career to the start of the 40's...Was he a war victim?

Interesting with Len Murphy, born in 1909 and playing almost 200 games in total, his wiki entry says date of death unknown! Unusual for that to be the case of someone born in the 20th century and having played an excellent career to the start of the 40's...Was he a war victim?

I think the AFL has done a lot of research into the backgrounds of past players in recent years. Every week in the Record there is a call for the public to volunteer information on obscure players. There is no publication I know of that contains dates of death except for the Obituary section of the AFL Record Season Guide which lists ex-players who passed away during the previous calendar year. The AFL very likely has the date for Murphy and others.

OK - have been trying to think up a doozy of a question for the gurus here. I think I might have found one.

West Coast have played, on two occasions, opponents who had won their previous match by 157 points.

Rd 7 vs Hawthorn, 1991 (Hawthorn had beaten Fitzroy 231-74 in previous match)
Rd 7 vs Geelong, 2007 (Cats had beaten Richmond 222-65 the week before)

So... obviously a team would have had matches against opposition who had won the week before by one point. But is the Eagles record (let's just ignore the eerie Round 7 coincidence for now, shall we) of twice facing opponents coming off a 157-point win a record?

Or has another team twice (or more) fronted up to opponents who won the week before by a greater margin?

^^ Not that difficult ;)

Not only does West Coast have the record for this obscure stat, they're also in 2nd place (139 points) and 4th place (126). 3rd is St.Kilda (138).

The highest winning margin occurring three times is 107 points for each of Collingwood, Melbourne and Fitzroy.

4 games - 101 St.Kilda
5 games - 93 Essendon
6 games - 95 Carlton
7 games - 79 Collingwood
8 games - 75 Western Bulldogs
9 games - 69 Essendon
10 games - 63 Carlton

Most common winning margin is 9 points, 38 times for Collingwood

For losses in the opponent's previous match the top few are Brisbane 139, Hawthorn 135, Richmond 129 and Essendon 128.

3 games - 117 St.Kilda
4 games - 99 Melbourne
5 games - 86 Western Bulldogs
6 games - 87 Hawthorn
7 games - 86 Carlton
8 games - 80 Melbourne
9 games - 66 Geelong
10 games - 69 St.Kilda

Most common losing margin is 10 points, 37 times for Essendon

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^^ Not that difficult ;)

Not only does West Coast have the record for this obscure stat, they're also in 2nd place (139 points) and 4th place (126). 3rd is St.Kilda (138).

Are you sure you have answered the question that was asked?

To me, the answer was clearly no, pretty easy to verify.

I was confused by the relevance of the rest of your post.

Last edited:
I suspected Richmond would probably beat Essendon, and they have now won 6 in a row.

I think their run will end next week away to Adelaide. Which teams have won 6+ straight games and not made finals?

^^ Not that difficult ;)

The highest winning margin occurring three times is 107 points for each of Collingwood, Melbourne and Fitzroy.

4 games - 101 St.Kilda
5 games - 93 Essendon
6 games - 95 Carlton
7 games - 79 Collingwood
8 games - 75 Western Bulldogs
9 games - 69 Essendon
10 games - 63 Carlton

Most common winning margin is 9 points, 38 times for Collingwood

For losses in the opponent's previous match the top few are Brisbane 139, Hawthorn 135, Richmond 129 and Essendon 128.

3 games - 117 St.Kilda
4 games - 99 Melbourne
5 games - 86 Western Bulldogs
6 games - 87 Hawthorn
7 games - 86 Carlton
8 games - 80 Melbourne
9 games - 66 Geelong
10 games - 69 St.Kilda

Most common losing margin is 10 points, 37 times for Essendon

I remember a 135 from the Hawks....Rd 21 2006. Ugly day for a Cat fan. However, i am pretty sure Geelong actually snagged the opening goal of the 2nd half. I may be wrong, i certainly recall Geelong hitting the lead in Rd 2 1986 in the 3rd quarter, after which Essendon packed on the score to win by 97 pts. Similarly, Rd 1 1990 (probably the biggest margin in a GF rematch) Geelong most certainly edged ahead early in the 3rd quarter before a Hawk explosion which saw them win by 115 points. Doubt too many 100 point wins have happened when the winning side has actually come from behind in the 3rd quarter!

I suspected Richmond would probably beat Essendon, and they have now won 6 in a row.

I think their run will end next week away to Adelaide. Which teams have won 6+ straight games and not made finals?

Essendon last year, twice! Geelong prior to that in 2002.

Perhaps surprisingly, it's happened 38 times. But then the final four system sorted the wheat from the chaff. Only happened 10 times (including the Essendon two where they technically made it) since 1969.

Sydney won 9 straight and missed in 1926. Collingwood won nine straight to claim the 1953 flag followed by the opening two games of 1954, and finished 7th.

Collingwood's oldest player in last week's game (Sam Dwyer) was just 27 years old. If it's possible for anyone to answer this, I'm curious to know how that stacks up against any for "youngest oldest player in a team", and in any team for Collingwood.

Collingwood's oldest player in last week's game (Sam Dwyer) was just 27 years old. If it's possible for anyone to answer this, I'm curious to know how that stacks up against any for "youngest oldest player in a team", and in any team for Collingwood.

Further to that, in their 2nd year in the system.

The "youngest, oldest" was Collingwood's Ernie Hug in 1968 R4 - 24y54d.

Dwyer ranks equal 1538th! And 77th for Collingwood. Young sides were the norm in the 1950's and 60's. Hawthorn's oldest and BOG in their first flag, Brendan Edwards, was 25y189d.

The "youngest, oldest" was Collingwood's Ernie Hug in 1968 R4 - 24y54d.

Dwyer ranks equal 1538th! And 77th for Collingwood. Young sides were the norm in 1950's and 60's. Hawthorn's oldest and BOG in their first flag, Brendan Edwards, was 25y189d.
Many thanks for that, Ron. Thought I'd catch you in a good mood this morning! I wasn't expecting Dwyer to be anywhere near the top, I did think it would be a bit closer than 1538th, however!!

Vinnie Jones holds the record for the quickest ever booking in an English soccer match, being booked after just three seconds for a foul on the opposition player Dane Whitehouse in an FA Cup tie between Chelsea and Sheffield United in 1992. Does anybody happen to know who holds the VFL/AFL record for being reported the quickest?

Vinnie Jones holds the record for the quickest ever booking in an English soccer match, being booked after just three seconds for a foul on the opposition player Dane Whitehouse in an FA Cup tie between Chelsea and Sheffield United in 1992. Does anybody happen to know who holds the VFL/AFL record for being reported the quickest?

I suspect that there have been a few at 0 seconds, but one for example
found just now via Trove is...
Brian Taylor (Collingwood) in 1987 vs Melbourne
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/132153398

Remove this Banner Ad

Back