Steven Gerrard

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't remember Jod saying our squad was better at all. It was more a case of Liverpool having 3 or 4 top quality players and the rest being shite thanks to Hicks & Co.
Defintely remember on more than a few occasions jod claiming Liverpool had a better squad than Man United.

But it's beside the point. Jod and others have hyped up Liverpool talent for over a decade on here.

Now all of a sudden Gerrard is better than everyone because he's been playing with dross all his career.

You look at every bit of silverware he has won and there has been top quality playing alongside of him. So the claim that he wins things in spite of his teammates doesnt really ring true.

Last edited:
Defintely remember on more than a few occasions jod claiming Liverpool had a better squad than Man United.

But it's beside the point. Jod and others have hyped up Liverpool talent for over a decade on here.

Now all of a sudden Gerrard is better than everyone because he's been playing with dross all his career.

You look at every bit of silverware he has won and there has been top quality playing alongside of him. So the claim that he wins things in spite of his teammates doesnt really ring true.
He sure has had some top quality playing alongside him. Do you remember that time when Gerrard won the European cup playing alongside such legends as left back Djimi Traore. A legend in Mali having scored an incredible one goal in six appearances at international level. A true international star.

What about probably the best striker of the last 25 years in Czech sensation Milan Baros? Gerrard would never have won the European Cup without Baros. He scored an unbelievable 13 goals in 45 games in all competitions that season. Yes, you read that right, 13! Including two in 14 matches in the Champions League. That's an incredible strike rate of one goal every seven matches. Those are the types of figures even Messi and Ronaldo only dream about.

What about how deep Liverpool were that season. On the bench alone for that Champions League final, Gerrard could call upon Spanish legendary full back Josemi.

Josemi managed an incredible 0 caps for Spain throughout his career. But he was too good for Liverpool and we eventually lost him as he went on to play with such huge clubs as Iraklis, Cartagena, Levadiakos, Xanthi and who could forget his incredible career with Indian Super League giants Atletico Kolkata.

How can we talk about Josemi though and not mention his spanish teammate and superstar Antonio Nunez. He too had an incredible 0 caps for Spain and again, we couldnt keep him from the clutches of bigger clubs as he went on to play in huge games in the Cypriot First Division for 0 times European Cup winning giants Apollon Limassol.

What about Croatian Sensation Igor Biscan. How he didnt come off the bench and tear AC Milan to shreds is still a mystery to this day. I wont go into detail about his storied career as we all know it so well, such is his legend.

What about other stars like Smicer, Cisse, Dudek or Carson. Any one of those guys could have played at Real Madrid or Barca or Bayern.

What a team that was. I remember it being quite controversial at the time as to how Gerrard got the start over both Smicer and Biscan in midfield!

That's just one example though. What about that FA Cup run and final the very next year. Gerrard was literally dragged over the line by what many considered to be the best strike partnership in England at the time in Peter Crouch and Djbril Cisse. Lethal.

It was all easy for Gerrard when he played alongside midfield destroyer Mohammed Sissoko. And when you can call upon Dutch legend Jan Kromkamp from the bench, previously mentioned Malian legend Traore or even the corpse of Fernando Morientes. It's a wonder that 2006 FA Cup winning team didnt win the league.

I also fail to understand like many in the world as to how Liverpool didnt win the 2007 European Cup. How you can lose with goal machine Dirk Kuyt leading the line and having two of best AM's of the past 15 years in Bolo Zenden and Jermaine Pennant tucked in behind. What an upset that was when AC Milan managed to secure victory. Particularly because Liverpool could call upon Chiliean superstar Mark Gonzalez from the bench.

What about that 2012 run to the League Cup triumph. To be fair that was a foregone conclusion with a side that boasted Scottish legend Charlie Adam who some say will end his career as the greatest Scottish footballer ever. Souness, Dalglish, Adam. He isnt out of place there.

But it wasnt all about Charlie Adam. Liverpool boasted the one, two punch of England's greatest attacking weapons in Stewart Downing and Andy Carroll. Devastating. Still unsure as to how Gerrard started that final with Jay Spearing on the bench. He was fit too so that boggles the mind.

OK jod. Liverpool have had no quality footballers playing for them over the past 15 years or so.

It was all Stevie Me.

Makes me wonder why you've got into so many arguments over the years saying that Liverpool players are better than players on other teams.

It was all Stevie Me.

Forget Carragher, Hamann, Fowler, Alonso, Owen, Torres, Mascerano, Hyypia, Reina etc.

Yes, you guessed it. All Stevie Me.

OK jod. Liverpool have had no quality footballers playing for them over the past 15 years or so.

It was all Stevie Me.

Makes me wonder why you've got into so many arguments over the years saying that Liverpool players are better than players on other teams.

It was all Stevie Me.

Forget Carragher, Hamann, Fowler, Alonso, Owen, Torres, Mascerano, Hyypia, Reina etc.

Yes, you guessed it. All Stevie Me.

If you hadn't figured out already (and not quite sure how you haven't) Jod's point is Gerrard did not have the same quality of footballers around him as the likes of Scholes & Lampard did. The very fact he won so many trophies in his career at Liverpool is a testament to just how good his ability is. That's not to say we haven't had some quality footballers over the years because we clearly have.

Perhaps one day you'll develop a player at City that will achieve what Gerrard has and play at the club for his entire career. I'm sure you'll spend plenty on your youth development to do it.

It's still been made out like Gerrard has had crap around him his entire career which is completely untrue.

Or you are making out that he was surrounded by top quality footballers like Scholes & Lampard were and they are the reason for his success, not Gerrard ' s individual ability.

Or you are making out that he was surrounded by top quality footballers like Scholes & Lampard were and they are the reason for his success, not Gerrard ' s individual ability.

No one has said anything like that, we're just a bit more realistic in being able to acknowledge quality when we see it.

It's a s**t line of reasoning anyway considering Scholes played plenty of football alongside the likes of Anderson, Cleverley, Fletcher, Park etc. Scholes' game is not impacted by who he has around him, whether he's partnered with Keane or with Cleverley it doesn't impact how Scholes goes about it. Sure he wouldn't have won as much without some of the attackers he's played with, but individually nothing changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can't say that for certain. Equally just as likely that he wouldn't settle into the London lifestyle, find the atmosphere at Chelsea uninspiring and end up moving back to anfield after 2 years.

Yeah, nah. The atmosphere at Anfield really isn't that much greater(uninspiring give me a break) and I'm sure he would have loved living in London.

If you hadn't figured out already (and not quite sure how you haven't) Jod's point is Gerrard did not have the same quality of footballers around him as the likes of Scholes & Lampard did. The very fact he won so many trophies in his career at Liverpool is a testament to just how good his ability is. That's not to say we haven't had some quality footballers over the years because we clearly have.

Yet jod has persistently, for over a decade) argued that Liverpool players, and sections of the team (ie defense, midfield etc) are better than Man Uniteds.

Perhaps one day you'll develop a player at City that will achieve what Gerrard has and play at the club for his entire career. I'm sure you'll spend plenty on your youth development to do it.

Yes, we will spend plenty on our youth development, and hopefully bring through lots of kids into our senior team.

Not really sure what your point was.

Yeah, nah. The atmosphere at Anfield really isn't that much greater(uninspiring give me a break) and I'm sure he would have loved living in London.

Gerrard loves Merseyside. I doubt he would have enjoyed being at Chelsea much at all. He certainly isn't suited to the west london tiff lifestyle. In his book he constantly talks about being home sick. It wouldnt have worked for him IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back