Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhh, this is ****ed. As much as I rag on Leaguies I feel sick to my stomach for Storm fans. I can't think how I'd feel if the Swans lost the 05 flag. As shite as the situation is, the NRL does deserve praise for seriously threatening it's position in an expansion market in order to enforce the punishment.

The team that is playing against the Storm still has a 'live' two points up for grabs.

How do you determine what the Storm will be thinking before the game? Do they play properly and try to win? Do they go out there and just not give a feck? Do they just not turn up at all? It's basically potential match fixing, except nobody's getting paid.

How do you determine what the Storm will be thinking before the game? Do they play properly and try to win? Do they go out there and just not give a feck? Do they just not turn up at all? It's basically potential match fixing, except nobody's getting paid.
Potential match fixing it may be, but as I said, the AFL faces this every year with draft picks, draft concession picks and tanking.

Very sad news for the fans but the punishment is very deserved.

Suffice to say it's ****ed the NRL in Melbourne. They won't be able to get back to the position they were in yest
I feel sorry most for the kids who support the Storm. Just like the girl on Channel 9 tonight. They'd be devastated and wouldn't know what to think. Some would be too young to understand why they don't those 2 flags anymore.

The team that is playing against the Storm still has a 'live' two points up for grabs.

So you may not want a fixture against the Storm in the next three weeks, but motivation is going to suffer after that. With one team playing for live points and the Storm walking around with paper bags over their heads marking time, how does that maintain the integrity of the comp.

If the charges are proved, by all means punish them. But penalising future actions in season distorts their own competition beyond the actions of the salary cap cheating.

In many ways I'm a better prime minister than Kevin Rudd. In some ways not all ways.
In which ways? Can you show anything to support that opinion?
I can spin things also
Can you? I must have missed when you gave your reasons why you feel you're a better Prime Minister in many ways, so please do so again. Maybe you're making that up though.
WorldCom, AIG, Madoff, Goldman Sachs, Anglo Irish, AIG, Parmalat just to name a few off the top of my head. Even just in Australia you have Westpoint, Storm Financial... the list goes on.
I mentioned some of them, and they were definitely terrible examples of coroporate fraud and/or negligence, but taking all of that into account, in many ways, this is still the biggest corporate fraud scandal since Enron because a monetary value cannot be placed on this to many people. Mentioning AIG twice doesn't make that twice as bad either.

So you may not want a fixture against the Storm in the next three weeks, but motivation is going to suffer after that. With one team playing for live points and the Storm walking around with paper bags over their heads marking time, how does that maintain the integrity of the comp.

If the charges are proved, by all means punish them. But penalising future actions in season distorts their own competition beyond the actions of the salary cap cheating.
Completely agree with you.
The NRL should have just taken the amount of points needed so that the Storm would be guaranteed to finish on 0 points and then just kept every game 'live'.

I mentioned some of them, and taking all of that into account, in many ways, this is the biggest corporate fraud scandal since Enron, and certainly bigger than some of those in even more ways because a monetary value cannot be placed on this to many people.

I'm sorry but comparing this to corporate fraud is one of the most idiotic things i've read on the internet. Regardless of not being able to put a monetary value on this, people lost their homes, marriages and some even ended their lives due to their financial loses.

Please don't embarrass yourself but comparing the two.

but taking all of that into account, in many ways, this is still the biggest corporate fraud scandal since Enron because a monetary value cannot be placed on this to many people.
Total cop-out.

As has been mentioned repeatedly, even if you were to subscribe to this awful theory the calciopoli scandal was significantly worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does distort the fixture list, I agree. it's tough on teams who've already been beaten by the Storm, relative to those those who haven't met them yet.

From my understanding of it, No.

If melb wins they get a W but no points, opposition gets a L
if opponents win they get W + Points, and melb get a L

And therein lies the problem...

I understand Melbourne being stripped of points this year and not playing for points - they're 700k over the salary cap so the loss of points is simply because they're not playing on a level playing field.

However, it's also a little hypocritical therefore of the NRL to let the Storm influence the outcome of the competition by allowing the Storm to prevent other teams earning points. All teams should receive the same number of points for playing Melbourne - zero or maximum.:thumbsdown:

Another nail in the coffin for Rugby League in this country.

Well in Victoria anyway. It will be ok in NSW in QLD.

I think Mark Geyers attitude pretty much summed it up when he said that he "couldn't care less if the Storm weren't in the comp next year"

I've always been an advocate of 'there;s enough room for every sport'. But it just seems that when people are happy to see a club go under judging by comments like that, then why would they even bother trying to grow the game in Victoria in the 1st place.

Anyway, i'm bloody gutted. But that's life. We'll move on and live to fight another day.

However, it's also a little hypocritical therefore of the NRL to let the Storm influence the outcome of the competition by allowing the Storm to prevent other teams earning points. All teams should receive the same number of points for playing Melbourne - zero or maximum.:thumbsdown:

Been thinking about this and have to agree.

0 points for all or every side picks up the 2 points.

As someone who has what could be best described as a passing interest in Rugby League, answer me these:

1. How do you take away a premiership? Do fans throw their DVD of the game in the bin? Do players give their medals back? Do they forget the game they played.

Well the club will be handing back both Premiership's tommorrow to the NRL. As for the Player's Rings, I guess they will be asked to hand over their rings but, it depends on the player if they hand it over and whether the NRL chasers any players who refuses. As for the fans, well I guess they have alot of useless junk now, maybe the club could offer to refund the fans for Premiership merchience. But I doubt they will.

2. Why scrub premiership point prospectively? They have just created a meaningless fixture every week and created a nightmare for bookmakers and other teams.

Because the Storm are still over the cap and unpunished points wise going forward, they still would of had a chance making the finals. So its a reasonable punishment.

3. If your team is on the cusp of the finals but gets passed in the final round by the team playing wooden spooners Melbourne (who gave up ten weeks ago) in the last round of the season will you be pleased they are getting their comeuppance? That's a self-inflicted wound, NRL.

Each club going forward will know what they face regarding the Storm. What it might do is throw a spanner in the works for State of Origin, because Queensland might be facing the idea of picking players who haven't been putting in 100% and NSW now have a coach who is either in on a major rort and will be questioned on that though the series, but will be able to spend more time to focus on the series.

I think the viability of the Storm is in grave doubt now. Corporate supporters will desert them, News Ltd will walk away and the only fans that remain are the rusted on core. Forget signing free agents, forget keeping stars who are going to spend the next 20 weeks playing for last.

Sadly I agree in some degree. Crowd numbers will go down, sponsors will be lost and News Limited will try and off load the Storm. As for the team, players will leave but the u20's are decent and while the Storm won't get the best free agents they will get some.

It will be touch and go for the next few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back