It’s Mum and Dad, it’s the kids too
It’s standing by your team
When they win or loose.

Storm Family, that is me and you
It’s Mum and Dad, it’s the kids too
It’s standing by your team
When they win or loose

Cheats never prosper.

Can anyone explain how the Broncos have managed to stay under the salary cap year after year while usually having more talent than the Qld
State of Origin team?

Waldren was right. There is plenty of salary cap cheating going on. His mistake was not to destroy the evidence when he quit as Storm GM.

The league has taken the wrong action here regarding stripping this year's points. They are destroying the game's support in Melbourne. What they could have done is give them a 20 point penalty for the next three years plus the fines.

Don't know if it has been posted here, but here is the email Storm members received today:

MESSAGE FROM STORM CHAIRMAN DR ROB MOODIE

Before I start I want to apologise unreservedly for the pain and suffering you must be feeling now due to the actions of certain individuals over the past five years. What went on behind the backs of almost everyone at the Storm is deplorable and there will be no excuses offered for what has been going on. The truth is the Club has been cheating and now we are paying the price.

Like you, I too love this Club, and I am heartbroken as well. I know exactly what you are feeling at the moment. Unfortunately, the actions of a few have damaged the reputation of the Club and everyone associated with it. The punishment we received from the NRL was very severe, however given the nature of the systematic cheating that has gone on, we accepted the punishment in full and will now move forward to restore the faith the sporting community had in us.

As a board, we were informed on April 13 of activities going on at the Club that caused us grave concerns, and immediately launched an internal investigation. When we found out what had been going on, we were stunned to say the least. Unfortunately when people in positions of authority betray the trust of everyone else in the organisation, the damage is usually done before there is a chance to put a stop to it. Regrettably that is exactly what happened on this occasion.

There are many innocent victims in all of this such as sponsors, current administrative and football staff, families of everyone associated with the Club, and of course you, our wonderful members. Your support over the course of our short existence has been unwavering, and for that I thank you sincerely. Given the crippling consequences of what has happened, this Club now needs its members more than ever. The fans are the lifeblood of any club, and that has never been truer than here at the Storm. It is recognised around the rugby league community that we have the most parochial fans in the country, and for this Club to rise once again, we need you to stand tall with us.

Our coach, Craig Bellamy, and our players led by their captain Cameron Smith, have given their word that whenever they pull on the Storm jersey and represent this great Club, they will give everything they have to win for our loyal and devoted fans. Given what they are playing for in 2010, that is a very admirable pledge to make.

Make no mistake, the Storm will rise from the canvas and once again be a force to be reckoned with in the NRL. The people who work for the Melbourne Storm are of the highest integrity, and their commitment to helping this Club get back on its feet is inspiring. We hope you will join them by showing your support for the Storm this Sunday at Etihad Stadium against the Warriors, and every subsequent game for the rest of the season.

It’s true, we can not collect any premiership points again in 2010, but the truth is we are playing for much more than that. We are now playing for pride, and we are now playing to win back the respect of the sporting community in this country. We can’t do it alone, we need your help. I hope you’ll join us as we make the journey back to where we know we belong.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr Rob Moodie
Melbourne Storm Chairman.

Colour me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that rorts on this sort of scale could be occurring without more than just a few individuals involved - and conveniently none of the "current administrative staff".

Some blind eyes had to have been turned, at least.

Colour me cynical, but I find it hard to believe that rorts on this sort of scale could be occurring without more than just a few individuals involved - and conveniently none of the "current administrative staff".

Some blind eyes had to have been turned, at least.
Colour me cynical but I find ithard to believe that this sort of thing isn't going at other clubs as well.

No they won't be. They will be remembered as the team that won those two Grand Finals due to deliberate breaching of the salary cap. I'm sure there are only a few people involved though, but hopefully they will be severely punished.
I reckon they went to far taking the Premierships away.I feel that is unfair to the fans.It's also in my opinion for people to sue the Rugby League for misleading people who bought merchandise,tickets to the games.

There is also grounds for people who lost a lot of money in bets. I think the best they could have done is stop them from participating in drafts for years and fine the club.

They could even lose those players they kept.They could take some points each season for a couple of years.The people really involved should get long jail term for fraud to stop this happening in all sports.This done with the government.

I don't follow the Storm but used to follow Parramatta when i was interested in Rugby League.I always thought AFL,Rugby was a game for the people and not for these people trying to make a statement that hurts the fans.

I would almost give up Football if they did that to my club. I would spend my free time just with music.

I am gutted today, and I am not a big follower of Rugby League. I enjoyed watching those 2 flags and now those games mean nothing. Its not fair on the supporters, but the NRL had no other choice.
NRL have lots of choices they could have gone.

Hi Guys , Now im a die hard storm supporter and what we did was wrong and we probably desereved the 2 premierships off us but i just thought the whole 2010 season for no points is a joke i think , what are your thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yes i agree but atleast put us on -18 or whatever satisfies the NRL

Agree, at least have something to aim for. Likely to not play finals and been 700k over probably dont deserve to. When it comes down to it, we are likely to have a large number of players on rep duty in a couple of weeks time, these guys are not going to back up for the storm after origin when there is nothing to aim for

When it comes down to it, we are likely to have a large number of players on rep duty in a couple of weeks time, these guys are not going to back up for the storm after origin when there is nothing to aim for
They'll be backing up don't worry. The motivation would still be there plus there are further rep matches / international matches to play for.

I'm as pissed off as the next person. By doing it the NRL has set back League in Melbourne years. But I don't think they had an alternative as the Storm wouldn't be playing with the list it has had it not been $700 g over the cap.

It also pleases the Sydney centric people who run the show who would like to see the Storm out of it.

A story doing the rounds about a Brisbane Broncos player earning 180k from a sponsorship deal despite never actually appearing in a commericial or in any way being involved with the product hes supposed to be sponsoring. Nothing will be published about it because well the player manager is crying foul saying he has done work but behind closed doors

Yes a behind closed doors sponsor? I heard David Beckham secretly drinks Coca Cola. Cant tell you if its true or not. The doors are closed :rolleyes:

I left the best part out. The company associated with the sponsorship are reported to have made 400k last financial year. So they invested half of the years profits in a secret sponsorship deal? Whoever buys this is a muppet

A story doing the rounds about a Brisbane Broncos player earning 180k from a sponsorship deal despite never actually appearing in a commericial or in any way being involved with the product hes supposed to be sponsoring. Nothing will be published about it because well the player manager is crying foul saying he has done work but behind closed doors

Yes a behind closed doors sponsor? I heard David Beckham secretly drinks Coca Cola. Cant tell you if its true or not. The doors are closed :rolleyes:

Ha very true as if the broncos were not doing whatever they could to keep all their star players.The winning addiction, which brings me to this article which I thought you would enjoy -http://www.thebigtip.com.au/league/84-news/339-storms-addiction, tell me what you think

I left the best part out. The company associated with the sponsorship are reported to have made 400k last financial year. So they invested half of the years profits in a secret sponsorship deal? Whoever buys this is a muppet

No way in the world can the Broncos have that many rep players under the cap.

Hope they get investigated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back