Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

when the rawest of emotion dies down they wont blame the NFL

Well the NFL would be shocked if they were blamed for this.

But it is the NRL's fault.

Gus Gould summed it up well in regards to the NRL's moronic salary cap limits and how they as designed so that its almost im[porssible for teams to keep good squads together.

Which means players leave to go O/S (100 players o/s according to him).

Meaning good players are being lost from the league to o/s because of the NRL's dimwitted, short sighted administration.

You don't need to, just bringing Sydney into the argument is irrelevant because it's got nothing to do with what I posted. The "You suck" "Well, you suck too" argument just doesn't work.

Why couldn't the Storm survive without cheating? That shows little faith in the franchise and the people of Melbourne, so when you're claiming to be the sporting capital of the WORLD, not just Australia but the World as we know it, that doesn't look good.

It's a label that some people still like to hold on to but it's just an empty label these days.

When did i bring Sydney into anything? All i have done is provide ample evidence, with no refute mind you, in how Melbourne is still the sporting capital of Austrlia.

The sad thing is Storm would have not only have survived but would have prospered by staying under the salary cap. They didn't need to cheat, but as with these things a few bad eggs make the worst case scenario for all involved. Your suggestion that they cheated to survive is very narrow minded. From the information recieved so far it would seem the few bad eggs were lured in by the bright lightss of success. This doesn't even reflect on the whole club, alot of people at the club had no knowledge of the systematic rorting but are still being held accountable and it reflects even less of the other sporting codes in the proximity of that franchise.

Your interstate bias has you thinking that as the franchise caught cheating is in Melbourne, it reflects on everything else Victorian and this is what has raised the hackles, and justly so of other Vic's here.

If you can name another city in the World that hosts the same amount of not just local but international sporting events as Melbourne does i would be pleased to hear it. Can you name another city/state in the world that hosts a Tennis Grand Slam, Grand Prix, Motor Bike Grand Prix, One of the largest Horse races in the world, one of the most prestigous cricket events, Australian Golf open, that got arguably the biggest sporting star in the world at the time attended, has teams involved in other sports at national level such as basketball, soccer, rugby union (shall i go on with other minor sports in Victoria but compete nationally such as Baseball, Grid Iron, Swimming, Hockey, etc etc etc), and the largest local sporting event of that nation as well ( AFL). If they have also hosted commonwealth games, numerous amount of world championships and an olympic games it might be a bonus for them as well.

Empty Label - just because one team in that city got caught cheating makes the label of sporting capital in the world disappear. So mister brilliant if Melbourne doesn't hold the title anymore PLEASE tell me which city/state in the world does? You may as well suggest that Tiger Woods infedelity reflected on Melbourne as well. Your statement of empty label is not only trite but quite frankly moronic, and your interstate jealously shows you up for the pea brain you obviously demonstrate in your comments.

I didn't say YOU did, I was using the word "You" in a general sense because one or two posters had brought Sydney into the argument. Sort of like when someone says "You'd think..etc etc" You're taking it too personally.

I don't seem to remember anyone bringing Sydney into this beside yourself. I know i didn't.

And on the 'Melbourne sporting capital of the World'?

Original post. No mention of Sydney..

Not looking great for the "Sporting Capital". A RL team that needed to cheat to survive and a fear of the World Cup.

Time that label died don't you think?

Melbourne's title as the nations sporting capital still shines.

Yeah, Sydney people are such passionate fans and so numerous :rolleyes:

The problem isn't Melbourne, its trying to sell a product that isnt that appealing.

I could rattle off the list of international and national sporting events to once again embarrass that tourist city of Sydney, but seriously, Do I really have to?

We are by so far the "sporting capital" of this country, that to dispute that because Sydney has had one Olympics and maybe a once ever World Cup (yet to win and host) is rather ludicrous.

The Sydney vs Melbourne fight shouldn't be on the agenda here, the prime thought here should be for the survival of the Melbourne Storm, or for the relocation of the team if that is in the best interest of the NRL.

It seems likely that the relocation of the Storm to Brisbane as the second Brisbane team will be debated now, and if it occurs, the NRL will have taken such a huge step backwards, and so will have Sydney (the home of Aussie Rugby) that it will almost be laughable as a primary AFL fan.

Sydney bureaucracy at it's best (or worst).:mad::(

A joke, yes?

Didn't the Sydney Kings die, even after 3 championships in a row?

Didn't the Swans need a Melbourne identity to create a brand in Sydney in the early 90s?

For your amusement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is possible...Bronco's have been doing it for years.
Broncos have let alot of rep players go at times too thou

darren smith (early 2000's)

anthony mundine (super league era)

more recently- petro civoniciva, ben hannant, michael ennis, scott prince, the list goes on

on the topic of this thread

the good thing is the players will keep their premiership rings (atleast at this stage)

club being stipped of the trophies, records had to happen, for the integrity of the league as much as it sucks for all storm fans.

Really your playing dumb

So has the tag 'Melbourne sporting capital of the world died'?

Also asked in a previous post if so then which city/state holds it now then?

Not playing dumb, thought you might be asking what made me post my original comment in the first place.

The tag itself will never die, but it's becoming less relevant imo. That's why I said it's time it died, not that it's actually dead. As I pointed out in another post many of these big events Melbourne get would be equally popular in another big city (Feel free to include Sydney if you wish).

To suggest the AFL Grand Final wouldn't be just as heavily attended in Sydney is silly and if you held the Australian Open in Perth just as many people would go. Those are huge events, one is a World event.

There's not really a definitive answer to your last question. Events like the Melbourne Cup and the AFL Grand Final can only be hosted by Australia, but when you're talking the Grand Prix then it's hard to argue that Melbourne makes it a better event.

Don't think its sunk in yet...

Agree, will be real interested to see how the players go on the weekend.
As a supporter, i want everything out in the open and the culprits to be named and shamed, if it includes players than so be it.

Melbourne Storm mark II starts from now, the past is the past and its time to look to the future, if information is kept quiet, there may be no future which will be devistating to us supporters

The people I feel sorry for the most in all of this is the fans.

For the NRL, they will just get on with it, it will be business as usual for them. The players, well they can always go an play for another club, go to England, get paid well etc, it's their living. Same with Bellamy and the senior coaching staff.

But what about the dyehard fans? What do they do? They just can't switch off or change their support for another team as simple as 'ABC'.

When I first heard the news I was in shock like everybody else. I went on to the Bai Stand (Melbourne Storm fans forum) last night to see what was being said, and it hit me just how much the dyehard fans are going to suffer. From out of the blue these guys have had a rocket slammed up their ass. Imagine this happening to your AFL club, well to them it's actually happening and it's something they have to deal with now.

These are the people I feel sorry for. The players, yea I feel for them too but its the players want of high fees which forces clubs to negotiate and work within the cap, and as we've just seen, sometimes work outside the cap. The players are never as loyal as the fans, if they were, they would take the pay cut so they could all fit under the cap.

I think talk of the club collapsing is premature. Yes, they will go backwards a long way this season. But clubs have coped with near-empty stadiums in the past (see Super League), and despite their eagerness to sell News will never let the NRL withdraw from the Victorian market. Storm is a strong club, they'll survive.

The only risk I can think of is Gallop & Co. deciding the brand is so damaged that they revoke the licence and launch another Melbourne side. But honestly, I can't see that happening.

No way on earth they get ditched in favour of the Bears or a second Brisbane team.

I mentioned some of them, and they were definitely terrible examples of coroporate fraud and/or negligence, but taking all of that into account, in many ways, this is still the biggest corporate fraud scandal since Enron because a monetary value cannot be placed on this to many people.
Sorry to flog a dead horse, but this is such a terrible statement I can't let it sit there.

Even if we take your idea and measure corporate fraud scandals by their emotional value, not their financial value -- which is kind of nuts, like saying this was the biggest earthquake ever when measured by how many sponsorship dollars it cost -- you are massively underestimating the emotional toll even small-scale corporate fraud inflicts on people who lose their life savings. I've seen that up close, and let me tell you, it is infinitely more devastating than you seem to think. You have people who worked themselves dogged for years, often decades, suddenly having to go around to their kids asking for handouts to support themselves. It is the undoing of their life's work.

There are a lot of heartbroken NRL supporters right now, but they get to wake up one day and move on.

NSW and QLD people simply don't get it.

The NRL has killed the club, they were not financially strong to begin with and relied on News for funding. HostPlus will walk away this morning, fans will not attend, coterie groups will not go. The club has nothing to play for, nothing to rally behind. If the NRL wants it to survive either they or News are going to have do some heavy lifting.

Most people of Melbourne will have zero interest (was never high to begin with). Storm were doing good work in schools, had represenatation in the media and were getting a niche in a massive market. All gone now, this club is a zombie.

imagine what would happen in the afl if a team like carlton, collingwood, essendon, and richmond copped a similar penalty

for one st kilda was involved with brian waldron

i laughed at the penalty dished out to carlton back in the season they won the wooden spoon. they won a couple more wooden spoons, but the penalty should have been more excessive for the salary cap rorting blues

jXrjA.jpg

*sarcasm* oh this is so damaging to rugby league how about making the people go watch afl instead
*end sarcasm*

HA! FAT CHANCE!

commence - Brian Waldron witch hunt!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back