Storm been stripped of premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Dumb, dumb comment.
How so?
Ever heard of the Italian Match Fixing Scandal of 2006 which saw Juventus stripped of 2 titles and regelated to Serie B?
I think that Juventis has won 27 titles, so the stripping of two championships is not comparable to a team that has just had two of only three premierships stripped. Juventis went from 29 championships to 27, while Melbourne Storm has gone from 3 premierships to 1 which is a massive 66% reduction.
I'm sorry but comparing this to corporate fraud is one of the most idiotic things i've read on the internet.
What are you apologising for? For your exaggerated condescending and insulting response because you're an Internet hero? It's too late to apologise because you're on my ignore list now because I have little tolerance for people that cannot control themselves when they disagree. By the way, this is a case of corporate fraud. :rolleyes:
Regardless of not being able to put a monetary value on this, people lost their homes, marriages and some even ended their lives due to their financial loses.
That's right, they did in some of those corporate fraud/negligence cases, but which scandal are you referring to, and how many people were effected? Oh, never mind answering because I'm not going to read your posts anyway. People can still be civil when they disagree you know.
Please don't embarrass yourself but comparing the two.
When did I say that I am embarrassed? I'm not. It is an opinion, and I have yet to see anything that makes me feel otherwise. In many ways, this is the biggest corporate scandal since Enron. It's no worries to me if you disagree, but I have no intention at all of putting up with you patronising me.

Shocking news for Storm fans and the innocent people caught up in this. A massive blow given we have the new stadium soon to be launched too in Melbourne. Repercussions could be felt very deeply here.

At the end of the day, screw the Muppets in charge of N.R.L. N.S.W ! They have had it in for the storm for years ! ( Just Jealous of Victoria at the end of the day ! ) And its funny that they knew about this for 5 years, but didnt do anything about it till today ! Just Muppets ! And to strip the Storm of 2 past premierships is ridiculous !

Also, i have to admit...... Screw the administrators of the storm ! Your idiots too !!

screw you hyporites who support other N.R.L. Clubs ! If you are that stupid to think that your teams dont cheat by paying perks and giving little hand outs on the side, U are naieve idiots ! Because all clubs do it !

Look at Carlton in the AFL - Paying Chris Judd perks on the side as an ambassador of Visy ! Now is that raughting the system or not ? Every club does it !!!!

Yr just Naieve !

I do feel sorry for the storm players and the fans who have done nothing wrong !!

At the end of the day, you can take the premierships off the storm from a legal point of view, but the storm will always be remembered as the best team on the day for their last 2 premierships ,and thats all that matters !

Cheers

Lol, i know what you are saying wian. But to be a realist for a moment, people will argue that the Storm may never have made it as far as the Grand Finals had they been on a level playing field.

At the end of the day, you can take the premierships off the storm from a legal point of view, but the storm will always be remembered as the best team on the day for their last 2 premierships ,and thats all that matters !
No they won't be. They will be remembered as the team that won those two Grand Finals due to deliberate breaching of the salary cap. I'm sure there are only a few people involved though, but hopefully they will be severely punished.

Lol, i know what you are saying wian. But to be a realist for a moment, people will argue that the Storm may never have made it as far as the Grand Finals had they been on a level playing field.

thats the whole point mate

all teams give players perks on the side out of their cap ! All are guilty if you look at it from that point of view !

just hypocrites !

How am I an Internet Hero? I'm stating my opinion which is that your post was incredibly idiotic, which it is. Haha on your ignore list, you've prob got half the posters in this thread there too?

I'll refer to the Madoff scandal just to prove my point. It directly affected more than 4,800 clients (not including their families) and costing them billions of dollars. 2 people committed suicide, René-Thierry Magon de la Villehuchet and William Foxton so imagine their families when you can somehow compare a rugby team losing 2 premierships to them losing a loved one.

I understand this is a case of corporate fraud, never said it wasn't (the previous post was suppose to read "but comparing this to the corporate frauds scandals") All i'm stating is your comparison of this to other corporate fraud scandals is grossly over estimated.

Once again, comparing this to Enron is bizarre. I cannot understand how you could think the biggest bankruptcy case in US history (at the time) is equal to a rugby team's issues. Shareholders lost $11 billion at the time, $74 billion in their final 4 years and more than 20,000 lost their jobs.

If you bother to reply to my post, the least you can do is read this.

i can just see the back page of the herald sun now - CHEATS!!!!

WHERE'S WALLY???

Melbourne+Storm+Press+Conference+1UDV5lI74Fol.jpg

No they won't be. They will be remembered as the team that won those two Grand Finals due to deliberate breaching of the salary cap. I'm sure there are only a few people involved though, but hopefully they will be severely punished.

the players and fans arent guilty ! The players won on the day , so why punish them?

sure, punish the clowns that cheated, but why punish the fans and players !

The whole NRL is a laughing stock , starting from the muppets at the top !

screw you hyporites who support other N.R.L. Clubs ! If you are that stupid to think that your teams dont cheat by paying perks and giving little hand outs on the side, U are naieve idiots ! Because all clubs do it !

I would be shocked if my club did that, they would be financially irresponsible if they were paying the current list anywhere near the actual salary cap :p

the players and fans arent guilty ! The players won on the day , so why punish them?

sure, punish the clowns that cheated, but why punish the fans and players !

The whole NRL is a laughing stock , starting from the muppets at the top !
But the club had a completely unfair advantage over the rest of the comp.

Remind me of when Easts won the 02 premiership and had to put up with s**t from other fans, calling them Claytons premiers etc. Bullshit, a true undeserved premiership would be a side winning whilst having an unfair advantage over the rest of the comp, as Canterbury did that season and Melbourne did when winning their competitions. Not to mention that Easts were playing brilliant football at that point anyway, Fittler was on fire, and they would've won the comp regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would agree with alot of posts about a certain club up north likely breaching the salary cap on a few occassions, however the NRL will never, ever do anything about it because they cant, they dish out similar punishment and then lose that club it would be the end of the NRL and basically go back to local QLD and NSW comps

Cheers

They'll be remembered as cheaters, not the best team.

Fail :thumbsdown:

The name is tarnished now, and the more you think about it the worse the whole saga gets.

One of the top stories on BBC news in London.

I hope the clowns who have caused this think of what they have dont to the players and supporters. s**t, we had one of the best playing lists in the comp and breed gun players like there was no tomorrow, so what if we had to let a few players go, it happens to every team.

Just gutted

I am gutted today, and I am not a big follower of Rugby League. I enjoyed watching those 2 flags and now those games mean nothing. Its not fair on the supporters, but the NRL had no other choice.

I said it before, and I'll say it again; what the Storm did was bad, but what the NRL did was much worse. They've effectively destroyed rugby league in Victoria. The Storm will likely fold; I'll be surprised if they draw more than 10,000 again this season. The NRL have extinguished their own expansion ambitions and given the AFL, Victory, Heart and Rebels reason to celebrate.

I am gutted today, and I am not a big follower of Rugby League. I enjoyed watching those 2 flags and now those games mean nothing. Its not fair on the supporters, but the NRL had no other choice.

In what sense did they not have any other choice? They had plenty of choice. There were many other ways to punish the Storm that wouldn't have lead to the club being annihilated.

One particularly good idea that I heard was to force the Storm to make all games free for spectators. Financial punishment while keeping fan support.

In what sense did they not have any other choice? They had plenty of choice. There were many other ways to punish the Storm that wouldn't have lead to the club being annihilated.

One particularly good idea that I heard was to force the Storm to make all games free for spectators. Financial punishment while keeping fan support.

Yeah they had other choices I will concede that, I think I am just in shock with it. I mean to be stripped of flags is just unbeliavable, I will be interested to see the answers to the following questions over the next month.

Do Grand final ticket holders from those years get compensation for watching a game the NRL has now dubbed Nul and void?

Do the Grand Final DVD's now become colector items and VEG no longer print them?

What happens to the trophies from those years?

Will the club survive?

I am ashamed now that i was following a team that cheated the system like they have.Never,ever will i buy a storm membership or go to a game(if they're in the NRL in2011)..pull out of the season now Melbourne,nothing to play for,not even pride or the fans because you've lost most of them!.....HANG YOUR COLLECTIVE HEADS IN SHAME!....

In other breaking news North Adelaide have announced they will be joining the NRL next year. Lucky for them the record books will read premiers 2007 N/A 2009 N/A.

Seriously though the stripping of previous premierships is too harsh for me. I don't disagree that cheaters should be punished, but punishing the innocent with the guilty just doesn't seem Australian to me. Let the system rorters face the music, hell i would be happy to see them thrown in the slammer.

If the NRL seriously want to have a truly national/international, or could be even looked as a ANZAC, competition they need to not only have strong teams in other major cities, which they don't have, but especially in the sporting capital of the world, Melbourne.

The big winners out of this is SOCCER. Beware AFL here it comes. Will the storm be able to survive? Only with News Limited help who seem to have the vested interest in everything NRL. And with new Rugby Union club and Melbourne Heart the cynic in me seems to think that they will be pretty strong soon with maybe new owners, sponsors and even players and of course the state government won't want to see their millions of dollars investment go to waste for the new bubble stadium.

NRL has had a image problem for quite of period of time now and the storm were the shining light to bring NRL out of the dark ages into a bright new future, alas i fear this will put the NRL into a backwards time warp that it may not be able to jump out of.

Not looking great for the "Sporting Capital". A RL team that needed to cheat to survive and a fear of the World Cup.

Time that label died don't you think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back