Movie Suicide Squad

Remove this Banner Ad

There was a rumour going around that the stinger would reveal that the way Bats survived the nuke explosion at the end of TDKR was because Supes showed up and got him out.
That rumour is false because Nolan and WB said those movies are completely separate from the upcoming universe. That's why Nolan isn't directing any of the future movies and why Bale isn't Batman.

There was a rumour going around that the stinger would reveal that the way Bats survived the nuke explosion at the end of TDKR was because Supes showed up and got him out.

I read that too. Interesting concept. But would lead to so many other questions. ie, why the hell Superman didn't intervene when Bane had locked down Gotham for 5 months.

Kind of like the Eagles in the Lord of the Rjngs - conveniently showing up to save the day but could've ended the whole damn thing before it started!

That rumour is false because Nolan and WB said those movies are completely separate from the upcoming universe. That's why Nolan isn't directing any of the future movies and why Bale isn't Batman.
Yeah, but the rumour around was that they were both coming back and the "this is the last one" was just a red herring to save the surprise.

Superman Returns > Man of Steel.

Not by much though.
Supes>Supes 2: Donner Cut>Animated Series>Smallville>Supes 2>Returns>Man of Steel>Vs the Mole Men>Supes III>A black screen for 2 hours>Supes IV: Quest for Peace

Yeah, but the rumour around was that they were both coming back and the "this is the last one" was just a red herring to save the surprise.
That word rumour. A couple of weeks ago every movie site was going with BvS being a two part movie because someone typed it on a computer and took a screenshot. Take them with a grain of salt.

Once they move on from the "freak-of-the-week" format it's quality. Welling and Rosenbaum are fantastic.

Welling took a while to get there but eventually he was very good. Even the producers admitted protecting him early on. Interesting to see how much he got better as time went on.

Dont forget John Glover as Lionel Luthor. Just so good.

The way the did the superman mythology in that show (for the most part) is probably the best I have seen and thats what gave me a interest in the character. (Havent read any comics).

Supes>Supes 2: Donner Cut>Animated Series>Smallville>Supes 2>Returns>Man of Steel>Vs the Mole Men>Supes III>A black screen for 2 hours>Supes IV: Quest for Peace

Haha, ahh Quest for Peace. What a monstrosity that was. Telekinetic powers and that chick (Lacy?) breathing fine in space.

An abomination of a film.

Because as Zod said he would have never stopped killing people and the writers could not think of another way that superman could have stopped him given the phantom zone thingy was closed. But more accurately they want the repercussions to be plot point in the future movies.

What was supposed to be to in the stinger?

This.

A few things to keep in mind is that Man of Steel is technically an origin movie and Clark is still learning his craft/abilities so it's reasonably to expect he wouldn't be perfect. Also, (for me at least) it explains the destruction in the final battle. He's still 'becoming' Superman. Plus the guy still saved the planet from destruction by defeating Zod, his soldiers and the world engine, therefore saving billions in the process.

I rewatched the Avengers a few weeks ago and the destruction of New York is pretty comparable to the destruction in MoS but I don't recall people complaining about that? (could be wrong). Just seems a bit over the top (in terms of the criticism).

I was pretty cut that Zod died in MoS - loved Shannon's take on the character but I do like how the film made a bold decision as well to put their own stamp on the story - I think they had to 'modernise' the character too from the infallible boy scout image he's traditionally always had.

Though I did see a rumour Zod could be appearing in BvS and may eventually become Doomsday...

And just one final note, Supes killed Zod in Superman 2 lol.

This.

A few things to keep in mind is that Man of Steel is technically an origin movie and Clark is still learning his craft/abilities so it's reasonably to expect he wouldn't be perfect. Also, (for me at least) it explains the destruction in the final battle. He's still 'becoming' Superman. Plus the guy still saved the planet from destruction by defeating Zod, his soldiers and the world engine, therefore saving billions in the process.

I rewatched the Avengers a few weeks ago and the destruction of New York is pretty comparable to the destruction in MoS but I don't recall people complaining about that? (could be wrong). Just seems a bit over the top (in terms of the criticism).

I was pretty cut that Zod died in MoS - loved Shannon's take on the character but I do like how the film made a bold decision as well to put their own stamp on the story - I think they had to 'modernise' the character too from the infallible boy scout image he's traditionally always had.

Though I did see a rumour Zod could be appearing in BvS and may eventually become Doomsday...

That was an entire alien race invading and 6 heroes fighting it. MoS was one on one for the most part.

Also it was the un-Superman things. Superman's standing in front of a building, presumably full of people, Zod throws a truck at him, and Superman MOVES OUT OF THE WAY. What?

Agree Shannon owned it as Zod.

Also, in Superman II there was a cut scene that showed the three of them and Luthor being arrested. They didn't die.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back on Suicide squad though, I reckon they'll take the safe option and go for a PG13 (is that the equivalent of 'M'?) to make it more 'family friendly' and to try and rake in more money. It 'should' be R18 or at the very least MA15+ but I reckon DC/WB will be looking to try and get it to the wider audience they can get.

Didn't Expendables 3 do the same thing (tame down the violence to try and attract more viewers?).

Some pretty interesting cast rumours as well (if media reports are to be believed).

Reportedly Gyllenhaal has also passed on the role as Rick Flag and that Karl Urban may be the next one offered the role. Disappointing to also miss out on Gyllenhaal (if those rumours are true) but I like Urban so could live with that. Joel Edgerton and Jon Bernthal also said to be in the running.

Also, Joe Manganiello (no idea who he is but he has an uncanny resemblance to Manu Bennett) is being rumoured to be cast as Deathstroke.

Gary Sinise is being linked to being either General Eiling or General Lane.

Reportedly Gyllenhaal has also passed on the role as Rick Flag and that Karl Urban may be the next one offered the role. Disappointing to also miss out on Gyllenhaal (if those rumours are true) but I like Urban so could live with that. Joel Edgerton and Jon Bernthal also said to be in the running.
Might be they don't like the direction it is going if the rumors about Will Smith and Jared Leto's rolls being expanded are true.
Marvel is much better with their casting i.e. "it's our character and it's done our way and if you don't want that we'll get someone else".

That was an entire alien race invading and 6 heroes fighting it. MoS was one on one for the most part.

Also it was the un-Superman things. Superman's standing in front of a building, presumably full of people, Zod throws a truck at him, and Superman MOVES OUT OF THE WAY. What?

Agree Shannon owned it as Zod.

Also, in Superman II there was a cut scene that showed the three of them and Luthor being arrested. They didn't die.

Admittedly, Marvel did splice some scenes of the avengers saving people in buildings and trying to take the fight away from those areas; though like in the Smallville fight where Clark fights Faora and another Kryptonian as well as trying to avoid fighting the military who regard him as hostile. He's still learning his powers and while having good intentions, gets (mostly) outclassed by a more skilled and experienced warrior. In the Metropolis battle, they probably could have shown him saving more people from the rubble and things like that (instead of the awkward kiss with Lois) but I still think his main objective was to stop Zod and ultimately save the world from being terra formed which he did.

I think I also read some speculation that BvS will partly deal with the fallout of the destruction with a lot of people wanting Superman to answer for his actions and being indirectly responsible for luring Zod in the first place; as well as Batman fearing Superman and wanting to stop him. Which if true, would help tie both films together and set up the whole Batman vs Superman fight.

Ah, didn't know about the cut scene - why would they remove that? Seems pretty important to keep if they wanted to have the whole 'Superman doesn't kill' message haha. The version I remember seeing many years ago I think had Superman removing Zod's powers, crushing his hand (or arm maybe) and then throwing him into a pit.

Ah, didn't know about the cut scene - why would they remove that? Seems pretty important to keep if they wanted to have the whole 'Superman doesn't kill' message haha. The version I remember seeing many years ago I think had Superman removing Zod's powers, crushing his hand (or arm maybe) and then throwing him into a pit.
If you haven't already, have a read about the production of the first two Superman films. Makes the Essendon/ASADA investigation look like a well oiled machine.

This.

Mate, they are very hard to compare in terms of destruction.

Large parts of Metropolis were actually leveled. Completely flat. Couple of images below (a lovely setting for his first kiss with Lois....)

Zod%20Superman%20battle%20aftermath_04.jpg

latest

If Dawn of Justice deals with Supes being held accountable, it could redeem it. Maybe Batman might enter the scene thinking he has to deal with Superman, that he's out of control. That could work.

That's the concept that I've understood has been there from the outset. Really hoping this is the framework they work with. Would be an excellent back drop for the return of Batman.

If Dawn of Justice deals with Supes being held accountable, it could redeem it. Maybe Batman might enter the scene thinking he has to deal with Superman, that he's out of control. That could work.
Nah Batman will just be pissed that Wayne Enterprises lost out on the reconstruction contracts to LexCorp.

Last edited:
Nah Batman will just be pissed that Wayne Industries lost out on the reconstruction contracts to LexCorp.
Some conflict between Lex and Bruce would be an interesting undertone to the larger scheme at play.

Some conflict between Lex and Bruce would be an interesting undertone to the larger scheme at play.
Yeah maybe it's the other way around and LexCorp lost out on the contracts to a joint bid Wayne Enterprises and Queen Industries so Lex is pissed with Bruce & Ollie.

If you haven't already, have a read about the production of the first two Superman films. Makes the Essendon/ASADA investigation look like a well oiled machine.

Had a read of the production section on wikipedia over my lunch break. Made my head spin - surely would be up there as the messiest production of a film ever? :confused:

According to the wiki, it also got 87% approval on metacritic which makes it an impressive feat given the list of challenges they faced.

I think the events of the end of Man of Steel also were rumoured to be a large part of how Aquaman gets introduced. I think I read he comes to the surface to find out what or who caused the massive destruction caused by the World Engine from Man of Steel (presumably it also caused huge damage to Atlantis or something).

Will be interesting to see how they introduce/tie in Wonder Woman though...

Mate, they are very hard to compare in terms of destruction.

Large parts of Metropolis were actually leveled. Completely flat. Couple of images below (a lovely setting for his first kiss with Lois....)

Zod%20Superman%20battle%20aftermath_04.jpg

latest

Haha yeah I know, Metropolis definitely had more devastation - I guess that would be expected too given the world engine was designed to level and terraform everything (whereas I don't think the rift opening in Avengers caused any damage - more just the aliens that came through from it). Metropolis also being a fictional city might have given the crew more creative freedom to 'destroy' things.

Was just making the point that MoS gets a bit of criticism for having so much destruction in the final phase of the movie (some critics saying it was overboard) but in the Avengers there was no shortage of aliens being thrown into buildings etc in the final battle either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back