Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Love the bitching from WA fans on twitter... bagging the fact a draw shouldn't mean a win
the last 3 finals have been draws... home team always tries to just occupy when batting to put the other team out of it.
Also because our grounds were unavailable they feel they should have gotten a home final despite us finishing on top

Love the bitching from WA fans on twitter... bagging the fact a draw shouldn't mean a win
the last 3 finals have been draws... home team always tries to just occupy when batting to put the other team out of it.
Also because our grounds were unavailable they feel they should have gotten a home final despite us finishing on top
Well the rule says we should...

Well the rule says we should...
Common sense prevails... its not our fault our ground is hosting the world cup final

Victoria can only play whats in front of them, CA are the people in the wrong here.
Yeah but they aren't really.... well IMO anyway... you didnt earn a home final and you didn't get one. And we didn't get one that we earnt

Yeah but they aren't really.... well IMO anyway... you didnt earn a hole final and you didn't get one. And we didn't get one that we earnt
Can we get a hole final?

Yeah but they aren't really.... well IMO anyway... you didnt earn a hole final and you didn't get one. And we didn't get one that we earnt
However the rules state that if the team that finished on top can not provide a a grade venue from their state that right then falls to the second placed team.

However the rules state that if the team that finished on top can not provide a a grade venue from their state that right then falls to the second placed team.
Have you got a link to these rules? I am interested in seeing them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we can provide one... we just happen to have the world cup final on there Sunday..

that said a WA final would have been interesting as a road would have been no good and I'd have backed siddle and J-Pat to get the job done (Assuming that Pattinson wouldn't have gotten hurt)

we can provide one... we just happen to have the world cup final on there Sunday..

that said a WA final would have been interesting as a road would have been no good and I'd have backed siddle and J-Pat to get the job done (Assuming that Pattinson wouldn't have gotten hurt)
And hence you couldn't provide one. Another thing is WA was happy to play at junction oval but victoria refused.

And hence you couldn't provide one. Another thing is WA was happy to play at junction oval but victoria refused.
I don't think it was available to be fair

We have played there in shield finals before so can't see why it would have been knocked back if available

It was available.
I just looked it up, seems it was. But they deemed the facilities not up to scratch. Don't think it made a great difference to the result still... could have been at Etihad or Geelong or Tassie and the pitch would have been prepared the same way

Under the rules it should've been played at the WACA. Applying common sense it should've been played at the WACA. CA and CV are both equally to blame for everything.

"The team that finished first on the points table at the conclusion of the preliminary matches shall earn the right to host the Final
at a suitable First Class venue within its state, provided that this venue is acceptable to Cricket Australia. Should the team waive this right, the choice shall be offered to the team that finished second. Otherwise the decision shall be made by Cricket Australia. "

I don't think Victoria waived the right to host the final. There was no venue acceptable so CA made the decision.

"The team that finished first on the points table at the conclusion of the preliminary matches shall earn the right to host the Final
at a suitable First Class venue within its state, provided that this venue is acceptable to Cricket Australia. Should the team waive this right, the choice shall be offered to the team that finished second. Otherwise the decision shall be made by Cricket Australia. "

I don't think Victoria waived the right to host the final. There was no venue acceptable so CA made the decision.
Not providing a venue is waiving the right.

Yep they certainly didn't waive their right. It says able to host at a suitae First Class venue. They chose to host it in Tasmania.

Have you got a link to these rules? I am interested in seeing them.

bffl is right. The law states that the host team has to host the final in their home state at a suitable venue. The law then goes to say that if a team waives the right to host the final then the hosting duties fall to the team that finished second which of course was Western Australia. Cricket Victoria, knowing that the MCG was unavailable chose to play politics and judged that Junction Oval was not fit to host the game knowing that they are currently negotiating with the government for $40million worth of funding. Playing the Shield final there would jeopardise that given they've applied for funding as the ground is "not up to standard" even though it hosted a World Cup warm up game a month prior.

Given the above, hosting duties should have fallen to Western Australia and the game should have been played at the WACA as per the regulations. Of course Cricket Australia decided to breach their own rules and play the game at Bellerive Oval anyway which contradicted the rules they set up in the first place.

This is why the WACA was and probably still is upset. They did threaten legal action (and more than likely would have won) but chose not to pursue it to maintain "national harmony".

Correct.

If you can't host the game in your home state then you waive the right to host.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back