Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too late for expansion. RL is going down hill fast.
I know we are all very positive and confident of how AFL has squashed the Titans on the GC. But believe me, Logan, the Darling Downds, and Ipswich ARE real RL heartland. They will get behing their franchise. SEQ corridoor that Ipswich and Logan are in are boom areas, and easy to get to by thousands of fans. This is a major threat. Major.

The only positivei can see is that they are talking not acting. This gives us more time to organize. This is a new front of the war. It is a front CHOSEN by the NRL like sun szu would have schemed.

PS. they may abandon the Titans....? That would be even smarter. Less drag on $$, crowds redirected, etc

I know we are all very positive and confident of how AFL has squashed the Titans on the GC. But believe me, Logan, the Darling Downds, and Ipswich ARE real RL heartland. They will get behing their franchise. SEQ corridoor that Ipswich and Logan are in are boom areas, and easy to get to by thousands of fans. This is a major threat. Major.

The only positivei can see is that they are talking not acting. This gives us more time to organize. This is a new front of the war. It is a front CHOSEN by the NRL like sun szu would have schemed.
Having lived in Ipswich my whole life, I can guarantee that NRL no longer has a stranglehold on the population. AFL clubs are popping up everywhere, and the people are far more open to it all than what it was in early 2000's.

NRL obviously still destroys AFL in terms of popularity here, but AFL is slowly leaking through and more and more people are taking interest. My girlfriends grandfather, who played rugby league for Australia, has even been turned off NRL to some extent. The state of the game itself is in disarray, not just the corporation and how it's managed.

My GF's whole family, who used to be massive league fans, have even agreed to come to AFL matches with us to see what it's all about, and they love it.

While an Ipswich or 'Western Corridor' (stupid name) would regenerate interest, and would likely slow down the expansion of popularity of Aussie rules in this area of QLD, it's definitely not 'the end'.

tl;dr people have stopped caring about NRL because of the game itself, not because they don't have a 'team'. Everyone in Ipswich calls the Broncos their own anyway.

EDIT:

Funny story: I work in a 'rugby league' pub in Ipswich. Had the Wallabies vs South Africa game on TV the other night, and had several people ask for the Essendon vs. Roos game instead. Ended the night with the AFL on TV instead. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'd like to say that Ipswich deserves its own NRL team, and has deserved it for years. If the Western Corridor were to be granted a team, I'd follow it just to make a point. It'd be great for the city.

“Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:
1 He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight.

“Opportunities multiply as they are seized.”

“The greatest victory is that which requires no battle.” (in logan, ipswich and toowoomba there is no battle)

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, (GCS) and strike at what is weak. (lOGAN, iPSWICH, tOOWOOMBA)”

Having lived in Ipswich my whole life, I can guarantee that NRL no longer has a stranglehold on the population. AFL clubs are popping up everywhere, and the people are far more open to it all than what it was in early 2000's.

NRL obviously still destroys AFL in terms of popularity here, but AFL is slowly leaking through and more and more people are taking interest. My girlfriends grandfather, who played rugby league for Australia, has even been turned off NRL to some extent. The state of the game itself is in disarray, not just the corporation and how it's managed.

My GF's whole family, who used to be massive league fans, have even agreed to come to AFL matches with us to see what it's all about, and they love it.

While an Ipswich or 'Western Corridor' (stupid name) would regenerate interest, and would likely slow down the expansion of popularity of Aussie rules in this area of QLD, it's definitely not 'the end'.

tl;dr people have stopped caring about NRL because of the game itself, not because they don't have a 'team'. Everyone in Ipswich calls the Broncos their own anyway.

EDIT:

Funny story: I work in a 'rugby league' pub in Ipswich. Had the Wallabies vs South Africa game on TV the other night, and had several people ask for the Essendon vs. Roos game instead. Ended the night with the AFL on TV instead. I was pleasantly surprised.

There is only one AFL club in Ipswich. The Ipswich Cats. Well, there is a seniors side that isnt affiliated with the Cats, the Ipswich Eagles who have no juniors. Toowoomba is half the size of Ipswich. It has 5 clubs with juniors and seniors. Ipswich should have ten junior clubs and seniors. I know there are small clubs surrounding, but Ipswich has huge potential. It is just beginning now. The Cats introduced 5 new teams this year and will add more next season. They are moving to better, bigger facilities. They will have a seniors side not far away. But there is huge room for growth of AFL in Ipswich.

We have a boy from a school of 700 kids. He is the only kid from that school that plays AFL for a club.....

There is only one AFL club in Ipswich. The Ipswich Cats. Well, there is a seniors side that isnt affiliated with the Cats, the Ipswich Eagles who have no juniors. Toowoomba is half the size of Ipswich. It has 5 clubs with juniors and seniors. Ipswich would have ten junior clubs and seniors. I know there are small clubs surrounding, but Ipswich has huge potential. It is just beginning now. The Cats introduced 5 new teams this year and will add more next season. They are moving to better, bigger facilities. They will have a seniors side not far away. But there is huge room for growth of AFL in Ipswich.

We have a boy from a school of 700 kids. He is the only kid from that school that plays AFL for a club.....
I wasn't only referring to top-of-the-line senior clubs - just in general. I agree with your points though!

Does your school do Auskick?

I wasn't only referring to top-of-the-line senior clubs - just in general. I agree with your points though!

Does your school do Auskick?
Yeah, they do Auskick at our school. Im not sure if they do Auskick in that school of 700. The AFLQ people can only stretch themselves so far i guess. At some point the clubs have to step in and take on some responsibility. I know that school is going to be targeted as an opportunity to encourage kids and teachers to get involved in the game.

Some of the moire successful clubs ive heard of find school teachers that like AFL involved by putting them through coaching courses and getting them involved in clubs. They then naturally become ambassadors for AFL at their local schools.

Logan is 80/20 Broncos/Titans territory as far as I can tell, You might see one Lions jumper every so often but apart from that it's a Broncos/RL stronghold.

In fact, There is only one beacon for the Suns in the entire area... A big...red...beacon. :cool:

I can name at least 8 people in the greater logan area who are SUNS supporters lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EDIT:

I was up on the Gold Coast last month. I literally didn't hear one thing about the suns. I have a few friends up there and was telling them about how I play AFL in Sydney. They brought out the old "gayfl" and "are you a homo?". I asked them if they had ever watched the suns game because if they watch one game they will be hooked for sure and they just laughed at me. They said they didn't know anyone who had watched one game.

I'm really glad to hear experiences like yours but I certainly never noticed anything like that with my week up there :(

I was up on the Gold Coast last month. I literally didn't hear one thing about the suns. I have a few friends up there and was telling them about how I play AFL in Sydney. They brought out the old "gayfl" and "are you a homo?". I asked them if they had ever watched the suns game because if they watch one game they will be hooked for sure and they just laughed at me. They said they didn't know anyone who had watched one game.

I'm really glad to hear experiences like yours but I certainly never noticed anything like that with my week up there :(
Interesting. Your friends are obviously the typical QLD bogan 'league4lyfbroGAYFLlols' type. There's plenty of them, unfortunately. Not willing to even attempt to understand 'Australia's game'.

While you won't find an 'AFL pub' anywhere on the coast like you would an NRL pub (except Southport Sharks, which isn't really a pub per se), I'd say you were unlucky to miss passing conversation about AFL tbh. We weren't faring too well though, so I guess there wasn't anything to talk about.

Mark my words, we didn't just cast out a quality player like Campbell Brown just to "troubled" 25 year old outsider. I'd rather pay overs to Malceski than get a bargain w/ guys like Robinson. You DO NOT want a player like him influencing our kids off the field.
Gotta admit though, he'd suit the Surfers Paradise lifestyle ;)

The Darling Downs AFL comp has more senior teams than the Perth senior RL comp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back