Supporters living Internationally- How do you survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

With sat TV and the interweb etc, coupled with the fact you are going to live in a new country and will experience so much awesomeness, you'll be sweet. I spent 4 months in Euro last year and kept up to date pretty well. Hardly saw any footage till the GF as AFL.com is a piece of shyte. Whilst you feel you aren't as in touch as you'd like to be, you get over it pretty quickly when you walk out the internet cafe and there's 300 topless women on the beach in Ibiza.

Seeing dozens of supermodel quality Ukraine chicks walking in every direction saved me an enormous amount of pain after listening to a 5 point pre lim loss.;)

I wish to thank them all and their previous oppressive rulers for the genetic experiments they surely tested on their parents. Results are in, it worked!!!!!!

Starting in San Fran for a couple months then just seeing what happens from there. Have not checked out usfooty, what is that?

http://www.usfooty.com/usfooty/ - USAFL is the USA national footy league. I play for the Boston Demons there are teams all over the country. If you are looking for a kick, some boys to talk football with or somewhere to watch the games, first start could be looking up a team in your local area.

Second, seeing you will be on the west coast you will be able to watch the GF live. There will no doubt be a GF party in your area if you are in a major city, again find your local footy team.

Bacon mate you must be one ugly bloke to not love it down in Florida. The girls over here fall head over heals for an aussie accent!

AFL.com.au streams for live coverage
http://www.fr333dom.com or http://www.demonoid.com for torrents

Works a charm

Footy Show comes out 7.30pm London Time on Thursday's on fr333dom, games usually 24 hour delay, Before the Game is on there same day and footy classified is on there on Tuesday's. I probably see more footy in London than I did when I lived in Sydney as you also can get 3 games a week here on Setanta.

If you go to Demoniod.com you can even see On the Couch.

Get a good internet connection as well!

Good Luck!

cletus_the_slackjawed_yokel.jpg

"Look at me MAH! I can use de INTERWEB!"

Anyone got a link to Freo1995's live streams? Can't stand watching delayed games on 7.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/footy-net

Travelling around is probably a little different to actually living in one place, but I've travelled a fair amount, for some of, or for entire footy seasons, and it's never been a problem. You will find other things in your life to replace the footy - there will be new things to see and do, new friends to go places with, even new sports to follow. You probably won't miss it at all. When you get back you'll get into it again.

My uncle has lived in Canada for the past 35 years and is a mad Pies supporter. He gets by on the minimal cable coverage he can find, which usually means staying up til 2am. I'm amazed he has maintained his passion for so long.

exactly. how 'spectating' a game where grown men in gay uniforms chase after a ball would rank as a priority over travelling overseas would have to be a joke.

Never ever seen a gay man wearing a footy guernsey (and I take the bus up Oxford St every day).

Anyway, I feel the pain of all those o/s. I was in London for four years at a time when the only AFL shown was a program on Sky sports, with an abridged replay on a Saturday showing one of the previous weekend's matches. Hard to take.

Even worse, I then lived in Brazil for a year and despite best efforts, missed my first Grand Final since the mid-90s. Absolutely no way in hell I was gonna be able to see the game. In fact, from memory, not one station in the entire South American continent was showing the game.

Sounds like you people currently in the UK and the US have an awesome deal. Three live games a week... that's more than you get in Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey,
Question about Setanta subscription.

When I went on it quickly all I saw was soccer. Where is the AFL is there a specific page where I can just see AFL or something like that?

cheers

As far as I know you cant watch it online on Setanta only on Setanta's cable broadcast in the US. As I said check www.afana.com for schedules.
You used to be able to, but as of about two or three weeks ago they stopped. An angry email later and I was no longer subscribed.

I ask because in December I will be moving to America for at least 18 months.
This is the longest I have been away from the tigers since I was 10, when I also lived in the States.

Are there any tricks to making it easy?

For those living in the states, how hard is it to manage to watch the games, or do you have to resort to family taping them and sending them over.

How strong is the temptation to fly home for finals (probably not that strong for Tigers fans like myself :p)

My biggest fear is that Richo retires next year and I miss his final game.
streams, torrents, setanta, replays at the pub.
It also helps if your team has a horror year, you don't wanna be there anyway!

Setanta is pretty good in London. But a bit hit or miss in terms of showing the big games each week. For example, not showing the Hawks v Cats game live (or even a replay) was disappointing. So getting the torrents on fr333dom.com is useful.

I've lost count of the amount of 5am starts I've had listening to the live radio broadcast in London. I'll be moving to Canada next year, so will need to look into getting Setanta there.

I've been following AFL from Bangkok for the past 7 years and don't really feel like I am missing too much when you consider:

• SEN feed through internet any day of the week
  • 6PR feed through internet for Sports Show week nights
  • On The Couch; Footy Show; Footy Classifed, etc through Bit Torrent
  • 4-5 Games per week on Australia Network on 30 minute delay
  • LIVE finals on Australia Network
  • Bigfooty, EaglesFlyingHigh
  • All games on bit torrent
  • AFL Gameday radio broadcasts through my PDA when not at home

The only thing missing is the live at-the-game experience.

I had a bit of a look at the USFooty websites and the GGAfl site. What is the quality of play like over there? I wouldnt mind playing a season, but to be honest Im a shocking kick so wouldnt really make the cut if its anywhere near decent standards :)

Most teams in the US are looking for anyone keen. The GGAFL looks like a couple of their sides are struggling for numbers so in most cases if you turn up you will get a game. Footy clubs offer you a world of experience (from other Aussies in how to make your life easier in the USA) and an instant group of new friends (who will most likely be non Australians as a majority). They also offer great opportunities to see other parts of America with every away game a road trip (or plane trip).

One of the most rewarding things I found is helping new Americans coming to the game with skills and an understanding of the game and seeing them pick it up a love the game quite quickly.

As for the quality, it varies, teams can be comprised of former AFL or state league players right through to guys who have never even seen the game playing for the first time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back