Sydney Swans off-season

Remove this Banner Ad

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
As usual, should be one of the biggest players for the warmer months. I can't see a thread about them?

List changes

Retirements:
Lewis Robert-Thomson

Potential Retirements:
Adam Goodes
Rhyce Shaw

Delisted:

Ryan O'Keefe (basically)

Potentially Delisted:
Tom Walsh

Trade Bait/Free Agency Losses:
Nick Malceski (FA)
Tom Mitchell
Sam Reid
Dean Towers
Tim Membrey
Brandon Jack

Draft Picks:
20, 21 (Malceski compo?), 40, 60, 80 (Perris elevation?)

Needs:
Ruck depth
Probably another KD wouldn't hurt
A KF ;)

Trade Targets:
?

2015 best 22
B: Smith, Grundy, Rampe
HB: Shaw, Richards, Rohan
C: McVeigh, Kennedy, Hannebery
HF: K.Jack, Franklin, McGlynn
F: Cunningham, Tippett, Reid
Foll: Pyke, Parker, Bird
Bench: Jetta, Mitchell, Lloyd, Derickx

Other: Johnson, Laidler, Naismith, Nankervis, Biggs, Marsh, Lockyer, Jones, Dick, Hewett, Aliir, Towers

+6 (Heeney, Perris, +4)

-6 (Goodes, Malceski, LRT, O'Keefe, Walsh, B.Jack)

Forecast:
Land a decent big fish that keeps them in contention for 2015, after a few big moves and loss of some players looking for greater opportunities. Gun mid Isaac Heeney will go to them, and I'd be surprised if Perris isn't elevated, beautiful young midfield developing there with Heeney-Perris-Jones-Mitchell-Biggs...not to mention the relative youth of Hannebery, Parker and Bird. Gun list management, regardless of what the trolls say is the reason.
Predicting a Goodes retirement and Malceski to go back to Vic after they become 3 and 2x premiership players, O'Keefe to become a DFA, LRT already gone, T.Walsh to be delisted, and a fringe like Towers/Jack to be traded, and Rhyce Shaw, Tom Mitchell and Sam Reid to stay at Sydney.
And hoping that someone else hasn't made this thread already :$

The reason for there being no thread on the Swans' offseason yet is because this season hasn't yet finished for us!

Can't see Perris getting promoted to the senior list. He did an ACL (a second one) about 6 weeks ago so is going to be out of action for a large part of next year anyway. Richards and Lloyd have already been offered senior list contracts so will get upgraded. Naismith must be a chance for an upgrade too, and if we want to keep Biggs, he will be a 4th.

no way perris gets elevated. elevations will be saved for lloyd, biggs, x richards and either robinson/naismith (can only keep 1 3rd year rookie IIRC)

can't see both shaw and mal being on the list next year, one will go you'd think.

hopefully goodesy hangs up the boots after another premiership capping off a champion career

and finally you'd think that 2 of lockyer/dick/marsh won't be on the list next season

maybe a few other trades to make room for gary ablett and joel selwood on 10 yr deals at 6 million a yr

I would love Brisbane to go after Robinson and Jack. What would it cost to get the two of them? Purely hypothetical.

Very cheap I would imagine. Robinson unfortunately may be delisted. So you could pick him up as a dfa. Jack on the other hand would probably cost a late second to third rounder.

Reid and mitchell are contracted so therefore are only rumored to be going. I think we will have a quiet trade period only bringing in a couple of needs and trading some minor players.

LRT, okeefe, malceski, goodes, walsh, shaw almost surely will be retired or for walsh, going back home to Ireland. Towers could be possible trade bait. Lockyer, dick, marsh all delisted. Traded would be a super outcome. Lloyd, richards, biggs, naismith to all be retained.

Because he is behind Tom Mitchell who himself can't cement a spot in the team, Hewitt is probably infront of him as well giving he has been a emergency a few times.
Geez he'd be stiff. If he is I hope we throw him a lifeline. Big fan, loved him in the u18's.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

doubt robinson will get delisted, but if he does whoever picks him up will have found themselves a steal

Exactly. Neither ruckman are up for trade and the club loves them both. I dont want robinson to go either but I cant see him making it into the seniors. Too far down the pecking order. And like people have said before me whoever picks him up will have a 10 year player.

Harry marsh would be very cheap imo. If we got a 3rd rounder for him we would be over the moon. Most likely be delisted. Best case scenario to stay on the list is being rerookied.

I suspect quite a few of the Swans players who are 23-30 on our list might seek trades as right now there are some good players not getting games. I really don't want to lose them but with Dunkley, Heeney and Mills all coming in over the next 2 years there are not going to be a lot of spots in the best 22.

Decent summary. LRT and R'OK confirmed gone. Seems to be 50/50 at the moment on Goodes, R.Shaw and Malceski.

We badly need KPD's. Richards and Grundy are the only 2 left and Richards is 33 or so. I think A.Johnson can play tall if he is needed, but probably won't play at all next year and there are suggestions he may not make it back to AFL level. Kind of hoping S.Reid is given a longish term chance in defense (which would increase Membrey's chance of getting a gig too) probably look to draft a KPD with our second rounger and maybe try and trade for one if an option comes up.

Predictions on Ins/Outs: Mitchell, Z.Jones, Biggs and Reid to stay. Membrey might be dependant on whether or not Goodes retires or goes on. 50/50 on B.Jack personally, Towers, Walsh and Robinson probably won't make it.

5 list changes already. ROK LRT walsh lockyer and dick all gone.

We have zero kpd depth at the moment. It is alarming.

We have zero kpd depth at the moment. It is alarming.

Yes but you do have a good history of being able to trade to cover problem areas. Sydney is a fairly attractive option for kpp wanting both opportunity and a chance for success, the only difference now is that you wont be able to pay overs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back