Team for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 12, 2004
Inside 50
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The van Berlos
I know we've all had a crack at this over the last few months, but the Wiz Wok and practice games have hopefully given us a better pointer on who is ready and who is not.

Some teams have emerged in other threads.....so I decided to post my thoughts here....maybe we can consolidate our sides into this thread..... :)

The following is my best side

Hart Rutten Bassett
Johncock McGregor Begley
Reilly Roo Burton
Edwards Perrie Trentschel
Welsh Stevo Biglands
Hudson Goodwin Macca

Clarke, Torney, Thommo, Mattner

The way I see it there are between 4 and 6 players unavailable for Round 1…

Hart
Goodwin
Torney
Thompson

Possibly Clarke and Biglands….(Clarke is way underdone and I question whether he might even need a run in the Sanfl?)

In would come
Bock
S Stephens
Bode
The Count

And Meeson if one of Clarke or Biglands isn’t fit….(Massie if both miss)

So Round 1 is:

Bock Rutten Bassett
Johncock McGregor Begley
Reilly Roo Mattner
Burton Perrie Hentschel
Welsh Stevo, Biglands
Hudson Edwards Macca

Clarke, S Stephens, Bode, The Count

(Here I assume Clarke and Biglands will come up)

Others:

Massie, Smith, Jericho…..I’m not a big fan of any but objectively they are behind Bock and Stevens in the “depth” Department. Maybe a bit harsh putting Jericho in this catagory....but he still has a way to go IMO.

Shirley, Ladhams, Skippy, Chewey…..of these probably Shirley is on a par with Bode and Van Berlo, but my selection eye is looking forward not back.

Krueger, Watts, Maric, Gibson, Knights…..not ready or injured.

On Meeson and The Count……….I know these guys are young and inexperienced, and that we don’t want to run them into the ground….but they have definitely shown signs that they are going to be players, and their development has come along in leaps and bounds already. I reckon if there’s an opening for them this year….we need to play them. I think their development will maintain it’s steep curve and it’s momentum by hanging in and around the senior side….not learning their trade in the SANFL…….we need to maintain the momentum with them and the message needs to be to these guys that they are genuinely on the fringe of selection....body permitting.

Thoughts...??....applause..??...rotten fruit....??.. :eek: :p

I posted this in the other thread but its more appropriate here. So here is goes again :

OK here is my side for round on based on the following:

* Goodwin won't play because of the suspension
* Hart, Thompson, Doughty, Biglands and Torney are not available through injury :(

_F: _ 17. Scott Welsh _ 19. Mark Stevens _ 9. Tyson Edwards
HF: _ 10. Matthew Bode _ 22. Ian Perrie _ 37. Trent Hentschel
_C: _ 39. Martin Mattner _ 32. Mark Ricciuto _ 24. Brett Burton :(
HB: _ 18. Graham Johncock _ 16. Ken McGregor _ 33. Brent Reilly
_B: _ 8. Nathan Bassett _ 25. Ben Rutten _ 28. James Begley
1R: _ 13. Ben Hudson _ 12. Robert Shirley _ 23. Andrew McLeod

INT: _ 4. Matthew Clarke _ 7. Nathan Van Berlo _ 14. Hayden Skipworth _ 44. Nathan Bock

Shirley will start on the ground and be given a job on Chris Judd. Reilly can start on HBF and given a run onball when someone like Roo or McLeod get moved from there for a bit fo a breather. We need Reilly's and Johncock's rebound off the HB in this game but if the likes of Goody, Hart and Doughty were available I would play Reilly more as a midfielder. I just think we need these 2 accross HB as they are one of the best rebounders in our squad.

Its interesting that even in round 1 our lack of depth is exposed with a handful of injuries and a suspension :(

Stiffy_18 said:
I posted this in the other thread but its more appropriate here. So here is goes again :

OK here is my side for round on based on the following:

* Goodwin won't play because of the suspension
* Hart, Thompson, Doughty, Biglands and Torney are not available through injury :(

_F: _ 17. Scott Welsh _ 19. Mark Stevens _ 9. Tyson Edwards
HF: _ 10. Matthew Bode _ 22. Ian Perrie _ 37. Trent Hentschel
_C: _ 39. Martin Mattner _ 32. Mark Ricciuto _ 24. Brett Burton :(
HB: _ 18. Graham Johncock _ 16. Ken McGregor _ 33. Brent Reilly
_B: _ 8. Nathan Bassett _ 25. Ben Rutten _ 28. James Begley
1R: _ 13. Ben Hudson _ 12. Robert Shirley _ 23. Andrew McLeod

INT: _ 4. Matthew Clarke _ 7. Nathan Van Berlo _ 14. Hayden Skipworth _ 44. Nathan Bock

Shirley will start on the ground and be given a job on Chris Judd. Reilly can start on HBF and given a run onball when someone like Roo or McLeod get moved from there for a bit fo a breather. We need Reilly's and Johncock's rebound off the HB in this game but if the likes of Goody, Hart and Doughty were available I would play Reilly more as a midfielder. I just think we need these 2 accross HB as they are one of the best rebounders in our squad.

Its interesting that even in round 1 our lack of depth is exposed with a handful of injuries and a suspension :(
Stiff....our 22s differ by 2 players

Me: S Stevens, Biglands
You: Shirley, Skippy

I think the Biglands experiment needs to start in Round 1 if fit.....and should be in the 22 given Clarke's preparation. The way I see it your side has 1 and a half fit ruckmen...so I'd have Biglands in fo Skippy.

I've brought Scott Stevens in for Hart as I think we need a taller backline to combat West Coast this time round. Leaving Shirley out is something I thought about for a while given the need to keep and eye on Judd......but I wouldn't be surprised if either Judd doesn't show...or is underdone...

Mad Dog said:
Stiff....our 22s differ by 2 players

Me: S Stevens, Biglands
You: Shirley, Skippy

I think the Biglands experiment needs to start in Round 1 if fit.....and should be in the 22 given Clarke's preparation. The way I see it your side has 1 and a half fit ruckmen...so I'd have Biglands in fo Skippy.

I've brought Scott Stevens in for Hart as I think we need a taller backline to combat West Coast this time round. Leaving Shirley out is something I thought about for a while given the need to keep and eye on Judd......but I wouldn't be surprised if either Judd doesn't show...or is underdone... ;)
I assumed Biglands wouldn't be fit but if he is he would come into my 22 at the expense of Clarke. I think brining in S. Stevens for Hart will make us a bit top heavy. I have 2 running players on the bench because I see Eagles' strength in their midfield and if we are to break even or win in the middle we need a couple of running type players on the bench so we can rotate them through the middle. Personally I think you side is a touch too heavy and IMHO we need some midfield flexibility to go with Eagles strength and that their midfield

I also think your forward line doesn't have a crumber in sight :p

Stiffy_18 said:
I assumed Biglands wouldn't be fit but if he is he would come into my 22 at the expense of Clarke. I think brining in S. Stevens for Hart will make us a bit top heavy. I have 2 running players on the bench because I see Eagles' strength in their midfield and if we are to break even or win in the middle we need a couple of running type players on the bench so we can rotate them through the middle. Personally I think you side is a touch too heavy and IMHO we need some midfield flexibility to go with Eagles strength and that their midfield

I also think your forward line doesn't have a crumber in sight :p
you're right about that... :eek: ...I was concentrating on personnel more than anything....Bode probably needs to start on the field. I would concede Stevens for Shirley as I take your point about having to rotate players against their midfield....but with the potential to face Gardiner, Cox and Seaby.....I think we need more than Huddo and Clarke... ;)

Mad Dog said:
you're right about that... :eek: ...I was concentrating on personnel more than anything....Bode probably needs to start on the field. I would concede Stevens for Shirley as I take your point about having to rotate players against their midfield....but with the potential to face Gardiner, Cox and Seaby.....I think we need more than Huddo and Clarke... ;)
In that case Bock would be the odd one out for me ;)

I don't think we can go into the side with only 1 running player on the bench considering the midfield of WC.

Stiffy_18 said:
In that case Bock would be the odd one out for me ;)

I don't think we can go into the side with only 1 running player on the bench considering the midfield of WC.
fair enough...but just as importantly we can't go in with Huddo and either Biglands or Clarke against Gardiner, Cox, and Seaby. They will just send one of them deep into the forward line to be picked up by your shorter "running" backline. Who would pick them up given Rutten will get Lynch??.....Begley or Bassett ???

I think we need the third ruckman to keep them honest...or at very least a taller backline. I think we have the personnel to break even in the midfield....but there is a real danger they will "out-tall" us up forward

for interests sake here is a side which will come pretty close to our round 1 lineup.

FB: Chick Glass Wirrapunda
HB:Stenglien Staker Waters
C: Braun Fletcher Kerr
HF: Embley McDougall Sampi
FF: Gardiner Lynch Matera

Ruck: Cox Judd Cousins

I/C: Butler, Hunter, Banfield, Seaby

EMG: Hansen Wooden Jones

question marks will be on matera. im not sure he will play, he has been training fully for a week but has had no match practice. you may be in luck and we might give him a week in the WAFL, especially considering sampi's form.

also, not sure if mcdougall will play. my guess is that he wont, which would mean bringing hansen in to play CHF.

stenglien wont play HBF, he will play midfield because most sides only play 5 forwards nowadays with the extra man moving in the midfield.

theorangeapple said:
for interests sake here is a side which will come pretty close to our round 1 lineup.

FB: Chick Glass Wirrapunda
HB:Stenglien Staker Waters
C: Braun Fletcher Kerr
HF: Embley McDougall Sampi
FF: Gardiner Lynch Matera

Ruck: Cox Judd Cousins

I/C: Butler, Hunter, Banfield, Seaby

EMG: Hansen Wooden Jones

question marks will be on matera. im not sure he will play, he has been training fully for a week but has had no match practice. you may be in luck and we might give him a week in the WAFL, especially considering sampi's form.

also, not sure if mcdougall will play. my guess is that he wont, which would mean bringing hansen in to play CHF.

stenglien wont play HBF, he will play midfield because most sides only play 5 forwards nowadays with the extra man moving in the midfield.
Thanks for that theorangeapple.... :) ....can you tell us why Judd didn't play the other night ???

Best 22 IMHO -

FB: Hart Rutten Torney
HB: Basset Mcgreor Reilly
C: Mattner Ricciutto Burton
HF: Hentshel Perrie Edwards
FF: Welsh M. Stevens Johncock
1R: Hudson Goodwin Mcleod
INT: Biglands, Skipworth, Begley, Thompson

Best 22 for Round 1 is

FB: Basset Rutten Begley
HB: Reilly Mcgregor Skipworth
FF: Welsh M Stevens Johncock
INT: Clarke, Schuback, Bode, Bock

Here's my lineup:

_B: Begley_Rutten_Bassett
HB: Johncock_McGregor_Reilly
_C: Mattner_Riccuito_Burton
HF: Bode_Perrie_Hentschel
_F: Edwards_M.Stevens_Welsh
IR: Hudson_Shirley_McLeod
INT: Clarke_Skipworth_Bock_Van Berlo
EMG: Massie_S.Stevens_Jericho

Shirley SHOULD start on the ball given his reputation against Chris Judd. We can't let a player with the ability of Judd get loose, and Shirley has proved his negating ability against him.

Bode should also start on the ground because of his pace and crumbing ability. He's not perfect, but definitely serviceable.

Van Berlo should also play. Just look at Wells for proof that its healthy to try out teenagers in their first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jo172 said:
Best 22 IMHO -

FB: Hart Rutten Torney
HB: Basset Rutten Reilly
FF: Welsh M. Stevens Johncock
INT: Biglands, Skipworth, Begley, Thompson

Best 22 for Round 1 is

HB: Mcgregor Reilly Skipworth
Rutten makes the best 22 twice?????? :confused:

And in round 1 Reilly plays at CHB?????? :confused:

jo172 said:
Best 22 for Round 1 is

HB: Reilly Mcgregor Skipworth

Can't see Schuback being in the 22 after a very ordinary trial against Sydney.

The other 21 probably will be there, but you can have a bet with me whether Skipworth will be HBF on either Embley or Sampi. Just can't see that happening.

macca23 said:
Can't see Schuback being in the 22 after a very ordinary trial against Sydney.

The other 21 probably will be there, but you can have a bet with me whether Skipworth will be HBF on either Embley or Sampi. Just can't see that happening.
Yeah it would be odd to see Skippy on HBF. He will either be played on HFF, midfield or start on the bench. I doubt he would be on HBF.

As fro Schuback, I don't think we can go on one game. By all reports he was very good against the Cats but he truely stuck it up against the Swans. Maybe Craig has a certain role he wants him to play. If Schuback gets selected to play against Melbourne or is taken as an emergency it tells you he is a fair chance to play in round 1.

Sure he had a stinker of a game against the Swans but he also had a very good game last week. I think Craig will look at it a bit differently that purely Schuback's last game.

Mad Dog said:
Thanks for that theorangeapple.... :) ....can you tell us why Judd didn't play the other night ???

our midfield has been on a rotation policy all wizard cup just so they are fresh for you guys. :p

nothing wrong with him at all, he could have played if need be.

also, i forgot to mention that cox would be touch and go for round 1. the club said he would be ready when he was first injured but there would have to be doubts.

if we were missing cox, matera and mcdougall i think you guys would be in with a pretty good chance.
cox is the most likely to play IMO.

theorangeapple said:
our midfield has been on a rotation policy all wizard cup just so they are fresh for you guys. :p

nothing wrong with him at all, he could have played if need be.

also, i forgot to mention that cox would be touch and go for round 1. the club said he would be ready when he was first injured but there would have to be doubts.

if we were missing cox, matera and mcdougall i think you guys would be in with a pretty good chance.
cox is the most likely to play IMO.
It certainly helps if those boys are out but we have ********loads out ourselves and our depth is nowhere near the depth you guy shave.

We could be missing as many as 6 players that would be in our best 22-25.

topjars said:
I hope there is no boo-ing of Tyson Stenglien by our supporters as he doesnt deserve that.

im sure some less educated members off the crowd will boo him. we had the same problem with mitchell white afew years back. the guy had been an awesome servent for the club, we had repaid that by selling him off to geelong and to rub it in most of the crowd boo'd the poor bloke when they played at subi.

Stiffy_18 said:
Who ever boos him deserves to be banned from attending footy for the rest fo their lives. If anything he deserves a cheer from the crowd :)

he still derserves a boo, not really bad because he didnt screw the club over in the trade, but in the end he still decided to leave the club and go and play with a completely new team for 'family' reasons, which unless he has a very sick family member isnt acceptable anymore for me

also does anyone else think he'll really struggle for wcoast?? i saw them on the tele and with subi being such a big ground, and wcoast playing such a running game he did go missing for much of the match. This was without judd and co too, so i personally cant see him playing well at subi, it doesnt suit his game anyway

for what its worth he's Outback JAcks 22 for rnd 1

They probably wont line up like this, but this is how i'd like to see it

B: Johncock Rutten Bassett
HB: Van Berlo Mc Gregor Mattner
C: Macca Roo Schuback
HF:burton Perrie Hentshcesl
F: skipworth Steven welsh
IR: Hudson edwards Reilly
Bench: Clarkey, Bode, shirely, Bock

with the injuries and suspensions taken into account, actually i must have missed someone that team lookes too shi te to be true

looking at that i didnt realise how bad it was, too many injuries and we're on the way, way, way down this season

F: M.Stevens - Welsh - Edwards

HF: Hentschel - Perrie - Bock

C: Burton - Roo - Mattner

HB: S.Stevens - Kenny - Stiffy

FB: Bassett - Rutten - Begley

Foll: Hudson - Reilly - Mcleod

Inter: Shirley - Bode - Clarke - Biglands

Emer: Skipworth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back