Team for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I also posted my R1 team elsewhere, but this thread is a nice consolidation...well done Mad Doggy.

Here goes...

My selections are based on the assumption that Hart, Torney, Goodwin & Thommo won't play & Biglands/Doughty will.

F Biglands, M.Stevens, Welsh
HF Bode, Perrie, Hentschel
C Reilly, Ricciuto, Burton
HB Johncock, McGregor, Doughty
B Bassett, Rutten, Begley
R Hudson, McLeod, Edwards
I Clarke, Van Berlo, S.Stevens, Ladhams

E Skipworth, Mattner, Bock

The Rest-Watts, Schuback, Krueger, Massie, Shirley, Smith, Meesen, Gibson, Maric, Jericho, Knights
Unavailable-Goodwin, Hart, Torney, Thompson

Notes: I'm not keen on 3 ruckmen, but we've got to put this Biglands forward line experiment (of Craigy's) to the test and see what happens. If it doesn't work out, then let's put it to bed and move on. Personally, I'd prefer to have Burton in a pocket instead of Rhett, but for now, he stays on the wing (gulp).

I'm not a fan of Dogga, but with Hart/Torney/Goodwin out, he's probably our next best smallish defensive option.

I'd play Van-B from the get-go, I prefer Scott Stevens to Bock and providing he's fit enough, Ladhams is just too talented to be left out.

That's my side, however, this is the team I think the Crows will pick....

F Biglands, M.Stevens, Welsh
HF Edwards, Perrie, Hentschel
C Mattner, Ricciuto, Burton
HB Johncock, McGregor, Doughty
B Bassett, Rutten, Begley
R Hudson, Reilly, McLeod
I Bode, Clarke, Shirley, Bock

E Van Berlo, S.Stevens, Skipworth

Yes...I am of the opinion, that Craig is in love with Bock, Shirley & Mattner.

Based on my post on the Swans thread & adjusting for JT's injury since then (& Thompson unlikely to be ready):

I'll have a crack at a Round 1 side v PC's Weagles line-up. I have made the following assumptions:
- Goodwin suspended;
- Hart, Thompson & Torney injured
- Hudson deserves to start in ruck ahead of the underdone Clarke & doubt over Biglands being fit (assume he gets match practice through Eagles); &
- Shirley to have a tagging role on Judd given Goody will be missing.

B: Bassett, Rutten, Begley
F: Gardiner, McDougall, Matera

HB: Johncock, McGregor, Doughty
HF: Sampi Lynch, Embley

C: Mattner, Ricciuto, Reilly
C: Kerr, Stenglein, Fletcher

HF: Hentschel, Perrie, Burton
HB: Hunter, Staker, Waters

F: Edwards, M Stevens, Welsh
B: Wirrupunda, Glass, Chick

R: Hudson, McLeod, Shirley
R: Cox, Cousins, Judd

I: Clarke, Skipworth, Van Berlo, Bock
I: Butler, Selwood, Seaby, Braun

Just wondering, what do people think about playing Burton off a HBF? He would have the endurance and spoiling ability ( hell he spoils our guys all the time ) to go with the best of them.
That would enable us to put Reilly on the wing, and with his skills I'm sure more of his passes would hit a target than Burton.
What do you reckon?

I think one team in this thread has had Ladhams in it, dont you guys rate him or something, he could be a decent player if he got a game, but as it stands he wouldnt get much value in a trade as he rarely plays.

Anybody rate him?

Power21 said:
I think one team in this thread has had Ladhams in it, dont you guys rate him or something, he could be a decent player if he got a game, but as it stands he wouldnt get much value in a trade as he rarely plays.

Anybody rate him?

I dont think anyone doubts his skill as I think he is one of the more skillful players on our list.
The problem with Chris Ladhams is he has a severe case of FIGJAM and his attitude is not right.

I think he needs to get this right forst and prove that he is willing to work hard on a consistant basis for the AFC.
I personally hopes he does crack the side this year and plays some good footy but IMO he has to earn this right. NC seems to be taking the same line and I have no problems with that.

rooboy said:
Just wondering, what do people think about playing Burton off a HBF? He would have the endurance and spoiling ability ( hell he spoils our guys all the time ) to go with the best of them.
That would enable us to put Reilly on the wing, and with his skills I'm sure more of his passes would hit a target than Burton.
What do you reckon?

I know there are a lot of critics of the Birdman as he is a very frustrating player but I do feel as I have stated on another thread I think he does more good than bad and he doesnt recieve enough credit for this.
He played great against Port in the opening game of the year, he is prepared to run all day and he wil pick up alot of posessions. However he does make mistakes, as alot of players do but his I must admit are more glaring when he does and they do cost us goals and in some cases matches.
He, however, I feel is still an important player for us as he has that ball winning ability and I dont think any other player on our list can play on the wing and get as much as the pill as Burton. So this is where I feel he does his best work and I would not like to see him on a flank.
I like Stiffy and Reilly on a back flank with Reilly swapping with Goodwin for midfield rotation. I also dont think Burton would pay enough attention to his opponent and this will cost us. If I was going to plat Burton anywhere other than the wing I would have him on a flank up forward.

Blue Red and Gold said:
I dont think anyone doubts his skill as I think he is one of the more skillful players on our list.
The problem with Chris Ladhams is he has a severe case of FIGJAM and his attitude is not right.

I think he needs to get this right forst and prove that he is willing to work hard on a consistant basis for the AFC.
I personally hopes he does crack the side this year and plays some good footy but IMO he has to earn this right. NC seems to be taking the same line and I have no problems with that.

Yeah i was just wondering he seems to bob up every now and then, but if he has the FIGJAM problem then definately leave him out till he sorts it out.

Power21 said:

Anybody rate him?
I rate Chris Ladhams football ability but not his desire to utilize his talent and the amount of dedication needed to succeed at AFL level

This is my side for round one,

l have taken a que from Kane McGoodwin and matched the two sides up in position and against their direct opponent. I have assumed that Rhett Biglands will be fit to play in round one and everyone else mentioned in previous post is out.

B: Biglands, Rutten, Johncock
B: Gardiner, McDougall, Matera

HB: Begley, McGregor, Bassett
HF: Sampi Lynch, Embley

C: Reilly Ricciuto, Mattner
C: Kerr, Stenglein, Fletcher

HB: Hunter, Staker, Waters

F: Shirley, Welsh, M Stevens
B: Wirrupunda, Glass, Chick

R: Hudson, McLeod, Edwards
R: Cox, Cousins, Judd

I: Clarke, C Ladhams, Van Berlo, F Watts
I: Butler, Selwood, Seaby, Braun

Robert Shirley will tag Chris Judd and we will play with five forwards. .

_F: _ 17. Scott Welsh _ 19. Mark Stevens _ 9. Tyson Edwards
HF: _ 10. Matthew Bode _ 22. Ian Perrie _ 37. Trent Hentschel
_C: _ 33. Brent Reilly_ 32. Mark Ricciuto _ 24. Brett Burton
HB: _ 18. Graham Johncock _ 16. Ken McGregor _3. Kris Massie
_B: _ 8. Nathan Bassett _ 25. Ben Rutten _ 28. James Begley
1R: _ 13. Ben Hudson _ 12. Robert Shirley _ 23. Andrew McLeod

INT: _ 4. Matthew Clarke _ 14. Hayden Skipworth_ 39. Martin Mattner_ 44. Nathan Bock

Emerg Van Berlo Jericho S Stevens

FB: Basset Rutten Begley
HF: Johncock Mcgregor Mattner
C: Burton Riccuito Reilly
HF: Hentchell Perrie Edwards
FF: Welsh Stevens Jericho
R: Hudson Mcleod Shirley (On Judd)

INT: Biglands Van Berlo Shuback Bock

EMG: S.Stevens Ladhams Skipworth

rooboy said:
What do you reckon?

Brilliant !!!!............a bit of lateral thinking........I'll go further than that and play him at full back and direct him to try and take hangers over his opponent all day.........that'll fix 'em !! :p

Kane McGoodwin said:
Based on my post on the Swans thread & adjusting for JT's injury since then (& Thompson unlikely to be ready):

I'll have a crack at a Round 1 side v PC's Weagles line-up. I have made the following assumptions:
- Goodwin suspended;
- Hart, Thompson & Torney injured
- Hudson deserves to start in ruck ahead of the underdone Clarke & doubt over Biglands being fit (assume he gets match practice through Eagles); &
- Shirley to have a tagging role on Judd given Goody will be missing.

B: Bassett, Rutten, Begley
HB: Johncock, McGregor, Doughty
C: Mattner, Ricciuto, Reilly
F: Edwards, M Stevens, Welsh
R: Hudson, McLeod, Shirley
I: Clarke, Skipworth, Van Berlo, Bock

Hart I expect will play & as long as he is over his injury being a better player than Begley & Doughty (ie. they have no real match practice advantage). I don't believe we can afford to take in all 3 underdone back flankers, so Doughty would probably get the other spot over Begley (thanks to Byron). Better off with fresh legs of The Count IMO.

If Biglands & Clarke both come up, then I expect Bock would miss out.

Skippy's pre-season form has been OK to warrant giving Thompson another week's for match fitness at the Magpies.

Skippy's pre-season form has been OK to warrant giving Thompson another week's for match fitness at the Magpies.

are you better off playing Thompson off the bench and get some quality centre posessions and build him up slowly as Port did with R.James last year, or can't we afford that luxury.
I wasn't implying at the expense of Skippy either i hadnt weighed that option up yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Hart Rutten Bassett
HB: Johncock McGregor Reilly
C: Burton Riccuito Mattner
HF: Edwards Perrie Hentschel
F: Welsh M. Stevens Skipworth
R: Hudson Shirley McLeod
INT: Thompson Biglands Bode Van Berlo

That's how I'd go for Round 1. Need plenty of run off the bench due to Weags midfield, hence just the one tall on INT. I'd play Hart, I don't think it matters if he plays AFL or SANFL in regards to his hammy, it's either going to hold up or its not. Thompson used sparingly off the bench in the mnidfield perhaps with a role up forward as well. Skippy's form pre-injury in '04 + his game against Melbourne warrants a starting spot in the forward line ahead of Bode, Schuback, Ladhams.

Just on booing Stenglein...Seriously, some of you guys are being a little precious. It's only pretty light-hearted if a former player gets 'booed' - it happens all the time in other codes. If people decide to boo him then who cares, it's the footy, it's all a bit of fun. Besides he ********ed off back to Perth for a pretty lame reason and people are thinkning of cheering him? Personally, I'd prefer to let people know that we don't accept players just leaving when it gets too hard or whatever. I'm not saying I'm going to boo him, because I probably won't but I defnitely will not be cheering him - the only players we should cheer when they come back are champions of our club - ie. Rehn & Modra.

snakebite01 said:
INT: Thompson Biglands Bode Van Berlo

That's how I'd go for Round 1. Need plenty of run off the bench due to Weags midfield, hence just the one tall on INT. I'd play Hart, I don't think it matters if he plays AFL or SANFL in regards to his hammy, it's either going to hold up or its not. Thompson used sparingly off the bench in the mnidfield perhaps with a role up forward as well. Skippy's form pre-injury in '04 + his game against Melbourne warrants a starting spot in the forward line ahead of Bode, Schuback, Ladhams.

That's a very balanced line-up and probably not far off the truth.

The only question marks IMO are

Hart - I'd play him as you have

Burton - that wretched hammy of his. Not a 100% certain starter. Hope he does.

Thompson - do we wait another week?

Biglands - but he appears to be ready.

Personally that's not a bad-looking team at all. Would have to have a damn good chance.

Stafford678 said:
is matthew clarke out of your thoughts for the best 22 or he injured at the moment?

No he's definitely not out of the best 22 when right. He may well play on Saturday in spite of a very limited preparation.

Correctly or incorrectly I've made the assumption that we won't take 2 ruckmen into the game with limited preparations.

macca23 said:
That's a very balanced line-up and probably not far off the truth.

The only question marks IMO are

Hart - I'd play him as you have

Burton - that wretched hammy of his. Not a 100% certain starter. Hope he does.

Thompson - do we wait another week?

Biglands - but he appears to be ready.

Personally that's not a bad-looking team at all. Would have to have a damn good chance.

All good points Macca.

Burton - hopefully he comes through, he can burn the ball but IMO against a team like WC his ballwinning ability will be important, if not just t kepp them from having it (if only momentarily ;) )

Thompson - Personally I wouldn't wait, which could turn out to be bad but I think he can play an important role - maybe 10 mins a quarter in the guts, maybe another 10 in a pocket to see if he can snag a goal a quarter and then give him a rest for 10 minutes. This way he is really only playing 40 minutes of solid footy in the middle, whilst also resting and giving us a class forward option.

Biglands - IMO, Hudson's pre-season form warrants first ruck selection. We could think about starting him in a pocket but Biglands, Stevens, Perrie, Hentschel and Welsh all in the same forward line? Too top heavy for mine. Skippy deserves a go in a pocket or on a flank whilst Biglands can run off the bench to get some match practice.

It might sound strange considering the respective team's strengths, but I don't think this game will be won in the midfield. We have to accept that we will get beaten in the middle, our first ruck can match them but they crap all over us in terms of midfield depth. We just have to be as competitive and accountable as possible. Where I think it will be won is in KPP, and in particular I think Perrie holds the key. From TOA's line-up it appears they'll go Staker on Perrie. That is a dream match-up for Perrie, looking at their respective body sizes, Perrie would have to be about 10-15 Kg bigger. Not only that but from what I have seen Staker's concecntartion can tend to waver at times which is generally characteristic of all young players - to me he is more suited to a floating forward role. For a guy like Perrie, who works very very hard around the ground, this could be a real advantage. He hasn't set the world on fire in the lead-up games but I think Sarge really holds the key for us, if he can get on top of Staker, which I think is highly possible, then it'll give us an avenue to go through regardless of whether we are on top in the middle. I'm pretty confident we can atleast break even with the WC forwards. Kenny has barely been beaten in the last 2 seasons and Rutten should hold his own. If Matera and McDougall play they will be underdone and are unlikely to tear us apart.

snakebite01 said:
INT: Thompson Biglands Bode Van Berlo.

Really like the way our back-line looks with Hart there. :)

That is pretty much how i would have it with maybe Scot Stevens in there on the bench (his pre-season form has been good ) one of Bode or Skipworth to make way.

If Scot Thompson is as good as i've been led to believe then if fit enough put him on the bench for 10-15 bursts each quarter.

snakebite01 said:
It might sound strange considering the respective team's strengths, but I don't think this game will be won in the midfield. We have to accept that we will get beaten in the middle, our first ruck can match them but they crap all over us in terms of midfield depth. We just have to be as competitive and accountable as possible. Where I think it will be won is in KPP, and in particular I think Perrie holds the key. From TOA's line-up it appears they'll go Staker on Perrie. That is a dream match-up for Perrie, looking at their respective body sizes, Perrie would have to be about 10-15 Kg bigger. Not only that but from what I have seen Staker's concecntartion can tend to waver at times which is generally characteristic of all young players - to me he is more suited to a floating forward role. For a guy like Perrie, who works very very hard around the ground, this could be a real advantage. He hasn't set the world on fire in the lead-up games but I think Sarge really holds the key for us, if he can get on top of Staker, which I think is highly possible, then it'll give us an avenue to go through regardless of whether we are on top in the middle. I'm pretty confident we can atleast break even with the WC forwards. Kenny has barely been beaten in the last 2 seasons and Rutten should hold his own. If Matera and McDougall play they will be underdone and are unlikely to tear us apart.

10-15kg?! 5kg, although admittedly Staker is a lot lankier, at 196cm.

In any event, I don't think Staker will play CHB. If McDougall plays, then Lynch will very likely return to CHB.

Mead said:
10-15kg?! 5kg, although admittedly Staker is a lot lankier, at 196cm.

In any event, I don't think Staker will play CHB. If McDougall plays, then Lynch will very likely return to CHB.

Perrie is over 100kg now. Someone mentioned it during the pre-season.
I'd say Staker wouldn't be much more than 90kg.

Stiffy_18 said:
Who ever boos him deserves to be banned from attending footy for the rest fo their lives. If anything he deserves a cheer from the crowd :)

You are kidding me arn't you. I boo the fat guys that carry the water bottles, so I'm gonna boo the opposition. :D

Anyway this is my R1 side.

Hart, Rutten, Bassett
Johncock, McGregor, Riley
Burton, Ricciuto, Mattner
Bode, Perrie, Hentschel
Biglands, Welsh, Stevens

Hudson, Edwards, McLeod

Shirley, Van Berlo, Meesen, Thompson

A couple are underdone, the forward line might be top heavy & you could replace Bode with Skipworth, but that is the side I would go with.

Jars458 said:
Why boo Stenglein. He now means nothing to us.

Why not give him heaps? Give 'em all heaps.

We can't complain about a lack of atmosphere, spectators sitting on their hands, lack of noise etc, etc, etc & then complain if someone wants to stick it up the bad guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back