News TEX - captain no more

How many weeks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd love to refer Tex to some of the "love" being dished out on the Powa board over his appointment before the next Showdown.....
I believe Tex is on 84 games. If he stays fit game 99 is the away showdown. Hope the new Captain puts in a big couple of weeks against Port and the Suns in July! Fantastic decision by the club. Congrats Tex!

Can you provide an example of this selfishness?
Yes, but it is too painful watching some of our games last year. I am now knocking PD, but trying to do everything yourself when there are team mates around is not team football. I suspect our football style will be far different this year under Walsh.

Yeh, a lot of posters have been underrating that for a while. In fact it was often used as the reason that he'd be captain until the end of 2016. It's generational change and it's happening at our club. VB is still in the leadership group and is clearly going to remain a leader at the club both on and off the ground. But it's highly unlikely that he's going to be receiving the VC consolation prize. Some people really struggle with change.

I think VB will be fine. If premiership leaders in Bickley and Smart can handle playing under Roo, VB will be fine.

If he doesn't want to play here there's not much we can do. One player doesn't make a premiership.
What a change in attitude. (not yours specifically) Up till today most on here were shitting themselves about losing Danger. "lets make him captain to make sure we keep him". This appointment of Tex ( and Walshy) has stirred up strong emotions and generated a whole lot of positivity from the supporters and around the club to the point that whilst we don't want to lose Danger we now feel its not the end of the world if we do lose him. The club will survive if we lose Danger.

What a change in attitude. (not yours specifically) Up till today most on here were shitting themselves about losing Danger. "lets make him captain to make sure we keep him". This appointment of Tex ( and Walshy) has stirred up strong emotions and generated a whole lot of positivity from the supporters and around the club to the point that whilst we don't want to lose Danger we now feel its not the end of the world if we do lose him. The club will survive if we lose Danger.

I've had this attitude all along. He stays or goes, it shouldn't affect the plan or the vision.

A very good appointment - although Sloane is stiff to miss out :p But when you have multiple quality leaders, all but one has to miss out. I'm just glad we haven't gone for co-captains.

Very interesting that the two stand-ins for van Berlo, as well as VB himself, have all missed out despite all being available. I wonder if that is an indication of a change in attitude overall, or rather an indication that Sloane and Danger "failed" their auditions last year.

The only possible way this can be a "bad" appointment is if Walker says something in a presser that comes back to bite him, so I suspect he'll be fairly bland and down-the-line in front of the media. In front of the boys, however... :D

I'm thrilled with this appointment. A few doubts, but mainly around how sharp a thinker he is in front of the media. Everything footy related he oozes presence, attitude and capability required to be a fantastic leader of our footy club.

According to the media, both Walsh and Walker are average in the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great appointment, good to see someone at the club now has balls.

After last seasons pathetic non decision on the captaincy, this is brilliant.
maybe sando wanted tex captain too but couldn't do it coming back off a reco,hence sloane and danger were just buying time

Unlikely, i dont think it would have been the case but you never know!

Last edited:
I'm thrilled with this appointment. A few doubts, but mainly around how sharp a thinker he is in front of the media. Everything footy related he oozes presence, attitude and capability required to be a fantastic leader of our footy club.

Agreed. But he will work into becoming comfortable with the media and his confidence will increase. I will say though that I like his "unscripted" responses rather than the usual "scripted" answers that given by most.

A very good appointment - although Sloane is stiff to miss out :p But when you have multiple quality leaders, all but one has to miss out. I'm just glad we haven't gone for co-captains.

Very interesting that the two stand-ins for van Berlo, as well as VB himself, have all missed out despite all being available. I wonder if that is an indication of a change in attitude overall, or rather an indication that Sloane and Danger "failed" their auditions last year.

The only possible way this can be a "bad" appointment is if Walker says something in a presser that comes back to bite him, so I suspect he'll be fairly bland and down-the-line in front of the media. In front of the boys, however... :D
I wonder if it means had Walker been fit for Round 1 last year he would have been captain? (But then different coach back then so...)

Agreed. But he will work into becoming comfortable with the media and his confidence will increase. I will say though that I like his "unscripted" responses rather than the usual "scripted" answers that given by most.

I wouldn't be surprised to see those unscripted responses shelved.

At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what a captain says to the media - as long as it's not a gaffe. Anything will do, no matter how bland and cliched, as long as he is able to get away from the cameras unscathed and focus on actually captaining his footy side.

Last edited:
In all honesty, how much media work is the Captain actually going to do? When VB was captain, he was hardly front and centre, face of the club every week. These days the media duties are shared between all players.

If anything, it's his social media work that he needs to watch now.

Tim Roman from the AFL website (I assume) wrote the article announcing Tex as captain. He also included this:

"The appointment of Walker as captain increases the chances of Patrick Dangerfield leaving the club as a free agent at the end of 2015."

And that was all that was written about that. Can anyone explain to me where the logic behind such a comment comes from since he doesn't bother to explain why this is the case? I can only assume that Tim believes that Dangerfield wanted the captaincy and will now be bitter and have more reservations about signing with Adelaide as a result. He didn't even include the word "might", he's flat out said the chances of Dangerfield leaving have grown. Anyone else think this is terrible journalism? I definitely do.

Yet I remember quotes from both Danger and Sloane last year about Tex's leadership and how happy they were to have him around once he came back. It is great to have options where pretty much a choice of 4 I would have been very happy with. You need leaders all over the ground, not just with the title.

Tim Roman from the AFL website (I assume) wrote the article announcing Tex as captain. He also included this:

"The appointment of Walker as captain increases the chances of Patrick Dangerfield leaving the club as a free agent at the end of 2015."

And that was all that was written about that. Can anyone explain to me where the logic behind such a comment comes from since he doesn't bother to explain why this is the case? I can only assume that Tim believes that Dangerfield wanted the captaincy and will now be bitter and have more reservations about signing with Adelaide as a result. He didn't even include the word "might", he's flat out said the chances of Dangerfield leaving have grown. Anyone else think this is terrible journalism? I definitely do.

It's a very common logical fallacy.

The idea is that, had Dangerfield been chosen as captain, it would be an indication that the club thinks he's in it for the long haul. That would then make it seem more likely that he's staying. So Dangerfield being made captain is related to how likely he is to stay, and since before it was unknown whether he would be made captain, once the decision is made they say that he is now either more or less likely (depending on whether he is made captain or not).

Of course, the problem with that logic is that our choice of making him captain is reflective of how likely he is to go, not the other way around. Us making the decision doesn't alter the likelihood of him staying. All it does is shed light on the club's (lack of) confidence in him staying.

A completely separate argument is how much stock we put in him staying, or if it even came into the equation at all. Perhaps we thought that Walker was the best choice irrespective of whether Danger stays or not.

I wonder if it means had Walker been fit for Round 1 last year he would have been captain? (But then different coach back then so...)

I said similar. I think it's a valid point.

Also worth mentioning that it appears Walker's time off field during his knee reco was when he really developed his leadership qualities. His approach to rehab and his work around the club was first rate.

Back