News TEX - captain no more

How many weeks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For me its clear that the deciding factor was that Tex has the biggest influence over the group

that's why he is Captain, smart decision

What I find really interesting is that you don't need to say what you're not, what you won't do. Unless you've got a reputation for it.

This must be the 3rd or 4th time he has said about there being no spin.

Does this say something about perceptions around the league? Particularly before he got here?

I think it does
Probably. Also though he is justifying his own approach. The future is allthat matters. And spin is everywhere, saying there is no spin is also spin in itself. Proof of the pudding is always in the eating.

Last edited:

Feel sorry for Sloane but that's the difference between committing your future to the team early and enthusiastically, and not.

Very much a new era appointment. Reminiscent of Blight turfing McDermott and Jarman for Bickley. And we know how that ended up.

Sloane has all but committed his future! He has put his flag in the ground, i think its just a matter of contract details. It could have been sloane or tex, flip a coin, but very happy with the decision. I think tex will grow up very quickly!

Love how people say Tex is a bad choice because he doesn't appear professional, bright, etc.

Obviously he is professional and a great leader otherwise he wouldn't have been considered.

Sloane/Danger were safer options as more polished and a better "face of the club" in terms of being clearly spoken, nice clean cut image, etc.

The fact Tex got the job despite being less polished in the media shows he is clearly the best leader in the eyes of Walsh and he was so strong on this that it over-rode the other aspects of the captaincy that relate less to footy. If anything it enhances how far ahead of the others he must have been seen.

Good appointment, but I don't think we could have lost with Sloane or Danger either. Watching how the rest of the team walked taller in Tex's comeback game against Collingwood highlighted to me how highly regarded he is by his team mates. For me, this is what sets Tex apart from Danger, Sloane and VB.

My only concern is how the process has been handled - why the need for "man" conversations? "We don't sook at the AFC", what is there to sook about Phil? Hopefully Phil hasn't ostracized Danger and Sloane in the way he has handled it. There were just a few comments by Phil which seemed to infer that the leadership group were not entirely settled with the decision.

Walsh has no prior affiliation with the AFC, but to recognize what the actual thread and soul of the club means to Walker and vice-versa, tells me a lot about his football IQ.

This isn't just about appointing Walker captain. Some of the things Walsh has said tells me he gets not just what makes a football club tick, but what makes the Adelaide Football Club tick. These are two very important distinctions.

I'm pretty sure his favourite sentence starter won't be "At Geelong....."

Walsh has no prior affiliation with the AFC, but to recognize what the actual thread and soul of the club means to Walker and vice-versa, tells me a lot about his football IQ.

This isn't just about appointing Walker captain. Some of the things Walsh has said tells me he gets not just what makes a football club tick, but what makes the Adelaide Football Club tick. These are two very important distinctions.

also super salient

i love Tex but to be honest not over excited with this appointment as feel that both Danger and especially Sloane would have provided a better leader and face of our club . See Tex as one of the boys that lighten things up rather than setting examples of professionalism on and off field .
Guess really obvious now that Danger unlikely to sign especially in next few months and concerned why Sloane has not signed as expected by all .
Also might see Tex try to do too much therefore not having impact on score board we were expecting .
Time will tell and hope this not just about showing a big stick approach .
I get the feeling captaincy will make Tex an even stronger player

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last few months confirm the view that the club had derailed. All of the decisions have been about wrenching it back on track.

Its obvious Walsh is a man with a plan and he wont die wondering, Sandos plan was to have a spike and then a few bumps:)

I'm stoked with this decision. Tex as a captain is the polar opposite of VB - VB was always very strong in front of the media, but not the best player afield by any stretch.

Tex is a genuine match winner, and has long been a spiritual leader of the club, and this formalises his leadership, but he has the media aspect to work on.

I'm so encouraged by this, there are so many good signs.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

the outside influences at the club now are really proving to be a big winner

for too long we have been insular as noted by many both now and during that time. It resulted in not only complacency, but also writing off criticism of the brand as unfair rather than an actual issue (i.e. being too corporate, full of spin, etc)

We have done it with a good blend too- Roo is a through and through crow who has that ingrained passion but has watched from outside long enough to have "outsider" benefits. Fagan outsider to the game altogether so that brings a whole different angle to it in many ways and now Walsh also

I think walsh in particular is a big one on that front. He has been reported to not be a fan of our club in the past. I think he was of the school of us being to manufactured, corporate minded etc. Instead of his previous 'dislike' for us being a negative, it has meant that he has come in and tried to change the culture into one he can be proud to be a leader of and one that addresses the external perceived negatives.

For that to be successful having the change accepted at all levels is critical which is why we seem to be transforming so quickly

I bet the 2015 photo will have Tex standing a lot closer to the front! ;)

For me, Tex can easily stand side by side with the talent of this group.

406523-c91c4434-a43b-11e3-94c1-d923b8b77352.jpg

Don't think Philly Walsh was too keen on NVB continuing...

+1

How could he? VB is almost 30 and coming back into the team after having played his last game in 2013 August. Yes he is an athlete first and then a footballer, he is not IMO overly skilled and I am sure that Walsh was worried about the ramifications of dropping VB based on form.

I will be watching the NAB cup with great interest to see how he plays.

i love Tex but to be honest not over excited with this appointment as feel that both Danger and especially Sloane would have provided a better leader and face of our club . See Tex as one of the boys that lighten things up rather than setting examples of professionalism on and off field .
Guess really obvious now that Danger unlikely to sign especially in next few months and concerned why Sloane has not signed as expected by all .
Also might see Tex try to do too much therefore not having impact on score board we were expecting .
Time will tell and hope this not just about showing a big stick approach .

I really feel for Sloane in this... Im guessing the size and length and structure of his contract really hang on what Dangerfield wants in his contract... so he is going to be the subject of speculation all year when in reality he is probably chomping at the bit to get it done so he can worry about football (and the wedding he will have to listen about)

Back