That mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

The dropped mark is annoying but I'm with those that were more angry about the silly 50m penalty. There is absolutely no excuse for giving away a soft 50m early in a GF.

Last edited:

Let's not let Wellingham off the hook for failing to back into the pack for that marking contest. Very weak.
His motions after it say to me there was no voice from Schofield? (and that doesn't surprise me) If he was called in to go, he'd go.
In saying that, I've only seen it on game day and doubt I'll ever see it again.
I don't follow rugby but I've already seen the broncos player dropping the cup GIF. Waiting for someone to GIF a cup falling out of Darlings hands even though it was far from costing us the premiership as an isolated incident.
I agree the 50m penalty early was very costly.

I dont know if its been mentioned but did Darling lose the ball in the sun? The fact he caught it on his face suggests he did. McGovern lost the ball in the sun during the game too.

Jack made three obvious blunders and by all accounts is shattered because of it. He wasn't the Lone Ranger in the blunder department.

Hopefully it will fire him up for next season, with great support from the club and supporters, (do not want him to turn into a Ballantyne in big games).

Think he will benefit greatly by the move of Gov forward next year. He's been punching above his weight this season and being third on the list of our forward talls next year could see him go crackers....that is what I can see happening, especially with a full pre season.

5 goals 2016 GF for JD! I back him in. Go Jack!

I dont know if its been mentioned but did Darling lose the ball in the sun? The fact he caught it on his face suggests he did. McGovern lost the ball in the sun during the game too.
Yeah he was facing the sun at the time so maybe, could explain the two preceding fumbles in the same play. I'M BLEEIIIND!!! Either that or he had a sudden attack of extreme gimpism.

More than that mark from darling today .
50m by slapping the ball out of lakes hand - goal
Sideways kick into the corridor of side if the boot to 3 hawks goal side - goal .
Missed that mark no goal for us straight down the other end - goal .
His game was that bad it was worse than Ballentine's GF

Agree with all this BUT I might cut him some slack on the mark. I was at the ground and have also looked at the replay in slo-mo. It wouldn't surprise me he got the sun in his eyes. (Remember how silly The Gov looked when he was blinded by the sun?)
But I agree JD had a stinker.

It was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Heart breaking.
Yep, me too. I'd basically jumped out of my seat with excitement because I was certain he'd take the grab. Imagine my shock and horror...

I think at that point it was just the straw that broke the camel's back, though I'm certainly not saying it cost us the game as there were too many moments that contributed to the end result. But had he marked and kicked the goal, who knows what would have happened as we'd have kicked 4 of the last 5 goals and with serious momentum on our side.

As it was, he dropped it, fumbled it a couple of times, turned it over, the Hawks went bang-bang-bang down to their end and slotted the goal to give them a 5 goal buffer, and from there they just put us away. It killed our momentum just when we started to get a sniff...

Ah well, onwards and upwards to 2016 and a big season for Jack and the boys!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All i could think about after he dropped that mark was who we could get for him in a trade. I was pissed and over reacted but at that point w had momentum. 3 goals on the trot and 10 mins left in the quarter would have lit a fire under our asses but its impossible to say thats what lost us the game. I feel bad for all the players and hope to * they dont read any of these forums.

Id like to see Darling play up the ground a little more next year tho. I can see him setting up a lot more forward 50 entries then being a target up forward. Strong chestmarks 70 out that hit up leading forwards and crumbers.

He would be a very attractive trade player tho and if he doesnt lift i could seem him and hutch in a package deal getting us a big bodied goalkicking mid.

a full pre season will hopefully do him wonders.

I think at that point it was just the straw that broke the camel's back,

No, that was barely a minute later when Shuey burst into the forward 50 - with Cripps & Yeo free either side of him - and chipped it meekly to Duryea as Darling sagged back.

That was the "Game Over Man, Game Over" moment for me.

Darling had a rubbish finals series. So disappointed. The comparisons with Carey etc at the same stage of their careers need to stop until he dominates a finals series.

I hope it drives him in 2016.

No preseason doe.

Made a huge difference with Nic Nat this year.

Grand Finals are won and lost in moments. Take our chances and we're talking a ten goal turn around or something along those lines. Darling cost us three of those in two plays. That is significant but not determinative.
Yeah, correct. I don't think any of us are solely blaming Jack for costing us the game, but geez if he took his chances we would have had a much greater opportunity at getting back into the contest.

For me the moment was Hurn's missed goal straight in front from the set shot - our Captain, a renowned kick of the ball, needed to step up and he missed it and if I remember correctly Hawthorn went straight down the other end and kicked a goal from that as well. I reckon that crushed the team more than the Darling mark, missed simple set shots are the most deflating thing in football.

Too many mistakes made to blame solely Darling or Hurn, reality is too many of our players didn't step up, we'll be hungrier in 2016 though and if we get to the GF again we won't have the same issues.

It was relentless moment after moment of botched opportunities - in the first 5-10 minutes we had the Darling 50M peno and the Shuey Cripps non handball burn. I kinda knew it wasn't going to be our day from then on.

For me the moment was Hurn's missed goal straight in front from the set shot - our Captain, a renowned kick of the ball, needed to step up and he missed it and if I remember correctly Hawthorn went straight down the other end and kicked a goal from that as well. I reckon that crushed the team more than the Darling mark, missed simple set shots are the most deflating thing in football.

Too many mistakes made to blame solely Darling or Hurn, reality is too many of our players didn't step up, we'll be hungrier in 2016 though and if we get to the GF again we won't have the same issues.

Wasn't only Hurn obviously Lecra missed 2 shots from inside the corridor ,Jamie Cripps simple shot easy angle ,Butler snap across the body from directly in front ,Shuey twice he messed up .
WCE just didn't value or take responsibility to kick those goals .

The Yeo goal on half time was what taking responsibility is all about ,he soaked it all up and held his nerve and willed it in after the siren .
The Hill goal set up from the boundary and on the run was pretty classy also the Darling goal in the 3rd quarter where he took a strong mark and kicked truly from a 25-30 degree angle was pretty good .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back