THE 2008 GRAND FINAL: Hawthorn vs Geelong Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I was thinking about the game, I was there, but almost all my memories of the actual play come from the TV vision I only saw on replays. The only things I vividly remember watching live were: Rioli's crumb goal, Williams' magnificent snap for a rushed behind, Ottens and Mooney's chokes in the 2nd, Brown's mark that got called a free for Geelong and Mitchell's goal in the last (Yes, I sat at the city end).
Stewie Dew's 5 minutes of utter glory?

After that, the rest is an utter blur for me. Wasn't 18 for a couple more months, but went with the old man to the game and he bought a few extras for "himself". ;);) His reasoning was 'soak it up, we may not see another one for decades.' How wrong he was!

Stewie Dew's 5 minutes of utter glory?

After that, the rest is an utter blur for me. Wasn't 18 for a couple more months, but went with the old man to the game and he bought a few extras for "himself". ;);) His reasoning was 'soak it up, we may not see another one for decades.' How wrong he was!
The memories of the rampage are vague. I remember Dew’s goal on the 50 best. What I remember of the Williams goal is that there were another couple of cats hanging back, so essentially they beat 6 of them.

Greatest GF goal of all time as far as I’m concerned

Everything about this day in 2008 was perfect. Managed to sneak into the ground which was the first win of the day.

Didn't expect to win, was just proud of the boys for making it. When Changa kicked the opening goal, I thought, 'ok, we're not gonna be completely embarrassed here'. And it just got better.

The thrill of this win after some pretty dire years, the merger fiasco, some awful board and recruiting decisions, made it extremely special. I remember seeing the cheer squad end going nuts in a sea of brown and gold in that third quarter and a wave of pride that I supported this awakening giant of a football team set in..

In the final 10 minutes we all stood in the outer, hugging strangers, tears in many supporters eyes. It felt like the beginning of something, and the end of something else as well. I bumped into a mate who I had gone to school with and we just embraced and laughed about all the horrible games we'd been to and put ourselves through the previous decades. I'll remember the thrill of that win forever.

I went to 91, 13, 14 & 15 as well, but they all felt like a job the Hawks had to do. We had to win, deserved to win, and we did. Yes they were amazing, but nothing would beat the feeling of being the rank underdog and breaking the premiership drought like we did that day in 08.

I watched the 2008 grand final sick as a dog with the worst chest infection I have ever had. I had just overcome one and stupidly went back to the gym after not being quite 100% and ended up getting even sicker with a recurrence - to the point where my doctor lectured me and told me that I was on the verge of pneumonia. Spent the day on my couch, rugged up, shivering while sweating on a hot Brissy spring day. Each cheer I let out when we kicked a goal was met with violent couching but I wasn't staying quiet!

2008 was the greatest sporting day of my life.
My first GF attending. Got into the city about 7am and went straight to the ground. Was very quiet apart from the MCC campers. Then got an invite to a bbq from a mate who lived next to the Royal.
I didn’t drink as I knew I’d go nuts and be blind before the game such were my nerves.

My girlfriend who is an * supporter then met me in Richmond and we walked over around 1pm.
Took our seat in the front row of level 4 of the southern stand in the blazing sun. Geez we got burnt.

Remember the old man calling me saying, enjoy the day, but don’t get to upset if we lose, they are a great side Geelong. Dad had been to every one of our previous 9 flags live so it must’ve been tough on him to not be there.

Lonergan slotted the opener from a Bartel bullet and I thought ‘s**t, here we go’. Remembering what they did to Port.

The Bateman goal was the most underrated goal of the day. Set the tone that we weren’t going to just lie down.

So many memories, seeing Croad shatter his foot but muster the energy to run through Selwood surely gave the boys another lift.
Franklin playing a team role keeping Scarlett busy so the other forwards could work. Rioli running around doing as he liked and no Cats player gave him any attention. Osborne going at every contest like he wanted to kill his opponent.
The Dew 3rd quarter was the most amazing thing I’ve witnessed. He was gassed, put himself at full forward and when Taylor fumbled under perceived pressure and he banged it home, I though hang on, they are rattled.
Then away we went.
Crawford my favourite Hawks player to this day, deserved a send off like that.

Seeing the Geelong players and fans after the game, they were shell shocked at what just hit them.

I’m not sure anything will top 2008.

I'm 47, I lived through the glorious 70s and 80s, attended several of those Grand Finals, winning and losing. Went to '89. There is just something about 2008 that is just deeply, deeply special. It is my most cherished sporting memory. Yes, I even put it ever so slightly above '89. I was there, it was a beautiful day, it came after our longest premiership drought by far since we started winning flags in '61, we were up against one of the most powerful and formidable sides in VFL/AFL history, a team that thought it would just rock up on the day and the cup was theirs, and we beat them all ends up. It was just so very unexpected, watching that all unfold before my eyes that day is just surreal now. Even today, even watching the replays and highlights, which I still do shitloads of, I can still barely believe it actually happened.

All flags are amazing and wonderful. 2008 was beyond amazing and wonderful.

I'm 47, I lived through the glorious 70s and 80s, attended several of those Grand Finals, winning and losing. Went to '89. There is just something about 2008 that is just deeply, deeply special. It is my most cherished sporting memory. Yes, I even put it ever so slightly above '89. I was there, it was a beautiful day, it came after our longest premiership drought by far since we started winning flags in '61, we were up against one of the most powerful and formidable sides in VFL/AFL history, a team that thought it would just rock up on the day and the cup was theirs, and we beat them all ends up. It was just so very unexpected, watching that all unfold before my eyes that day is just surreal now. Even today, even watching the replays and highlights, which I still do shitloads of, I can still barely believe it actually happened.

All flags are amazing and wonderful. 2008 was beyond amazing and wonderful.

I am the same age Roddy. I had a run in with the big C when I was 35. 3 years (2008) later after bout six of surgery the surgeon announced the all clear.

I was invited to a GF party a few months later being held by a massive Geelong supporting family. The friends they had invited were primarily Cats as well. I declined. For some reason I just wanted to savour this one on my own without any distractions (which is very unlike my previous GF days).

Spent the morning prepping some nibbles bought some quality beer and watched it with my wife. When Cyril sharked Buddy's dropped mark and ran into an open goal the beer consumption went up a notch. I thought then we could win it.

Was a blubbering mess at the end and the great win combined with my health prognosis is reason for my user name which on face value is pretty vanilla. :) My only regret now that I am fit an well is that I did not go to the Geelong love in. I would have made a right ares of myself and would have loved every minute of it.

2008 No.1 for mine.

The seeds of this win was the round 17 loss to Geelong on that Friday night.

IIRC Geelong skipped away to a five goal lead before a late goals left the Hawks 20 pts in the rear at QT.

From the second quarter the Hawks applied the cluster and outscored the Cats for the rest of the game.

Some inaccurate kicking when the game should have been won, Campbell Brown missing a set shot 25 metres out in front and the Luke Hodge clanger that allowed Johnson to goal and seal the win.

Hawthorn learnt heaps that night, Geelong learnt nothing.
Hawks knew they could beat Geelong and Geelong had their over-inflated egos intact.

I remember being really relaxed and confident the morning of the game and thinking we were going to win. At the time I worked with a couple of guys who were huge Hawks supporters too, 1 of them didnt get tickets and I told him if we won I would call him. One of the few memories I have of the game (most of it is a blur) was calling him near the end of the 3rd quarter and we were screaming OH MY GOD and a bunch of profanities at each other down the phone. Was lucky enough to get a ticket to the players function at Crown after the game and have a handful of photos with players and wearing their premiership medals or with their medal in my mouth.

The next day and night at Glenferrie were a hot mess. Ended up playing drinking games with some of the team until 6am Monday and forgot to go to work. Thankfully when I showed up drunk a few hours late my boss was in the same state and just high fived me and let me hide in the corner most of my shift.

A weekend I'll never remember but also never forget!

The memories of the rampage are vague. I remember Dew’s goal on the 50 best. What I remember of the Williams goal is that there were another couple of cats hanging back, so essentially they beat 6 of them.

Greatest GF goal of all time as far as I’m concerned
In the 3rd burst we won 4 big moments where we were outnumbered that led to goals

- Cyril on the wing
- Dews first goal , errant kick out with Taylor fumble . Cats still had more numbers then us
- Williams and Dew duo
- Dew classic snap , another outnumbered contest won by us

We just played smarter but wanted it way more , they thought it would just happen .......glorious viewing !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC Geelong skipped away to a five goal lead before a late goals left the Hawks 20 pts in the rear at QT.

From the second quarter the Hawks applied the cluster and outscored the Cats for the rest of the game.

Some inaccurate kicking when the game should have been won, Campbell Brown missing a set shot 25 metres out in front and the Luke Hodge clanger that allowed Johnson to goal and seal the win.

Hawks knew they could beat Geelong and Geelong had their over-inflated egos intact.
My brother in law is a cats supporter , was really worried about playing us after that game

I would think 2014 was almost the perfect Grand Final performance. Hawks took the game on right from the first bounce and never let up, even with 1 minute to go they were still tackling and competing for every ball. Sydney just couldn't handle the pressure. Imagine if Buddy was still with the Hawks that day, we would have won by 20 goals. Then again, if Buddy was still with the Hawks, Sydney wouldn't have been in the GF. Bradley Hill making Jetta look stupid, Hodgey's goal from an intercepted kick in, Langers' ridiculous bouncing goal from the pocket, Roughy's smash tackle on Hannebury, Rioli robbing Tiprat of the ball, not once but twice, and Hodgey's kiss on Buddy are things I instantly recall from that game.

Just back to the 2008 GF. I was sitting on my couch here in Adelaide, getting ready for the game, quietly confident we would do well but wondering if we could win, when I received a text message from the wife of one of the assistant coaches. She said the entire coaching panel and players not only expect to win, they believe they WILL win. Very comforting indeed :) I was so envious of the Hawks fans at the game in that 3rd term burst, and when the final siren sounded. And yes, the Dew/Williams combo goal in the 3rd term was the highlight of my day.
I was so lucky having watched the 2008 GF from about row 15 behind the goals near the cheer squad on the 3rd quarter scoring end. Firstly the anticipation at half time when Mooney missed a sitter and thinking “we’ve got them rattled” then seeing the 3rd quarter onslaught unfold with Dew. It was crazy in there, similar to scenes now watching World Cup fans after a goal is kicked. People jumping up, cheering, high fiving strangers, hugging, screaming. Best 10 minutes or so of footy I’ll never forget. At 3 quarter time I remember feeling exhausted under the hot sun ......couldn’t imagine what the players were going through. Simply awesome.

And 2014.....wow. Although my seat was way back on ground level within the confines of the stands so I couldn’t appreciate the full outside atmosphere of the G. But still awesome to have witnessed the game and for me putting closure on Buddy leaving.

Last edited:

Maybe that loss worked in our favour!

Possibly my favourite. I didn’t hold much expectation. I just wanted us to compete, not do a Port the year before. The highlight, was I had to watch it sober, as I had to work that night. Best part was, the leading hand who was a Geelong supporter admitted that he smashed his tv in the third quarter. Guessing it was the five minutes of Dew that head*ed him.

89 also holds special memories. Going from memory the cats under 18’s lost by a kick. Their reserves lost by a kick. We beat them by 7 in the big one. Made a couple of prank calls to Geelong supporters telling them that the tip was closed for the week due to the amount of dead cats that day.

In third place is 2014. Payback was so nice. It’s great that buddy will only be remembered for his 2 Hawthorn premierships. As he won’t get one at Sydney’s!

I was at Glenferrie (couldn't get tickets), and what I remember (apart from continually hugging a stranger during the burst -to the point of dry humping) is one moment early on, where Bartel tried to milk a free for holding Williams, the whistle blew and every Geelong player streamed forward, leaving only Scarlett in defence as Williams got the free and hit Ellis on the chest. That's when I knew we had it, as the umpires weren't going to bend over for the cats, as had been the case for 2 years

I was at Glenferrie (couldn't get tickets), and what I remember (apart from continually hugging a stranger during the burst -to the point of dry humping) is one moment early on, where Bartel tried to milk a free for holding Williams, the whistle blew and every Geelong player streamed forward, leaving only Scarlett in defence as Williams got the free and hit Ellis on the chest. That's when I knew we had it, as the umpires weren't going to bend over for the cats, as had been the case for 2 years

Except they did............. umpiring was awful.

Except they did............. umpiring was awful.
Yep the one negative of the day. Two scarlet on buddy frees paid the wrong way, one on roughead, the free down field to chip scablett when he handballed it 1.5 m. (What else would he do, how's he gonna get a second possession kicking it 45 m)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back