The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No Tiger supporter in the right mind actually can genuinely give us a chance of winning this game. May stop a few from attending. A win last week would of hid this fact a little more but I'm not sure it will even set a new record with no rivalry or other motive to attend the game.

Wouldn't surprise me if this game drew 60,000 or 70,000. Over the last few years Hawthorn home games have been very volatile.

A lot of posters talk about Hawthorn not being a very big club but not many clubs draw 50,000 - 75,000 against non Victorian clubs as the Hawks have done 4 times over the last 3 years

That said Hawthorn have had some absolute shocking home gates (17k and 27k against GWS, 23k and 28k against Gold Coast). So it's very difficult to get a read on how their games will draw (unlike Essendon which is usually as strong as a bank)

Its our first Melbourne home game for 5 weeks and our last MCG home game before Carlton (round 23 - bore) so hopefully it draws a big crowd of Hawthorn members...with the ticket resale programme in full swing hopefully those embarrassing empty patches behind the goals will be a thing of the past.

Quite a big contingent of tassie hawthorn supporters picked out this game to fly over for. I think we have been starved of good friday night footy, richmond fans turn up even if the club is crap, could be a real bumper crowd,

Be a good neutral game to attend

One thing I've been thinking about RE: Etihad, a lot of people talk about the 'novelty' of new stadiums and how Adelaide and Port's numbers last year were in part due to the stadium being new and shiny. Is it possible that the novelty factor of Etihad as seriously worn off over the last 5 years? Especially for MCG tenants like Collingwood, Richmond and Hawthorn. Because whilst games involving solely Etihad tenants St.Kilda, Western Bulldogs and North have seen crowds fluctuate in accordance to the respective teams' form, the home and away crowds of most other teams have steadily declined.
I don't think its a novelty factor thats worn off regarding crowds at Etihad. I think fans are being out priced at the stadium in AFL. Melbourne Victory A-League crowds over 6 games last season drew and average of 35k including a 50k crowd now rare at the stadium well up on previous seasons.

Unlike AFL the club controls the seating layout of the stadium. All Victory matches last season were priced at;
Level 3 is fully GA at $23 (including blockbusters that sell out)
Level 2 is $50
Level 1 is $23 for behind goals and GA sections/Away bays and $35-$40 on wings.

Compare this to AFL. Carlton v North Melbourne for example.
Level 3 is a mix of seats that will cost $44, $32 and $25
Level 2 is $60-$65
Level 1 is $42 behind goals, $53 on wing and pockets.

Essendon v Western Bulldogs
Level 3 is reserved seating at $44, $32 and $25
Level 2 is $60-$65
Level 1 is $42 behind goals, $53 on wing and pockets

Yet you go to North Melbourne v Fremantle
Level 3 is mixed seats at $32 or GA for $25
Level 2 is $55-$65
Level 1 is $32 behind goals and $45 on wing and pockets.

MCG is just as bad. Punt Road end Level 1 can be GA $25 one Richmond match however becomes $50 premium another match.

If there is going to be a big crowd the AFL will slug you up to $15 more to attend a match. Think the footy public have caught on and aren't willing to fork out the extra cash anymore.

I don't think its a novelty factor thats worn off regarding crowds at Etihad. I think fans are being out priced at the stadium in AFL. Melbourne Victory A-League crowds over 6 games last season drew and average of 35k including a 50k crowd now rare at the stadium well up on previous seasons.

Unlike AFL the club controls the seating layout of the stadium. All Victory matches last season were priced at;
Level 3 is fully GA at $23 (including blockbusters that sell out)
Level 2 is $50
Level 1 is $23 for behind goals and GA sections/Away bays and $35-$40 on wings.

Compare this to AFL. Carlton v North Melbourne for example.
Level 3 is a mix of seats that will cost $44, $32 and $25
Level 2 is $60-$65
Level 1 is $42 behind goals, $53 on wing and pockets.

Essendon v Western Bulldogs
Level 3 is reserved seating at $44, $32 and $25
Level 2 is $60-$65
Level 1 is $42 behind goals, $53 on wing and pockets

Yet you go to North Melbourne v Fremantle
Level 3 is mixed seats at $32 or GA for $25
Level 2 is $55-$65
Level 1 is $32 behind goals and $45 on wing and pockets.

MCG is just as bad. Punt Road end Level 1 can be GA $25 one Richmond match however becomes $50 premium another match.

If there is going to be a big crowd the AFL will slug you up to $15 more to attend a match. Think the footy public have caught on and aren't willing to fork out the extra cash anymore.

The AFL? You mean the clubs. That money doesn't go into AFL pockets, but for a small equalisation charge.

The AFL? You mean the clubs. That money doesn't go into AFL pockets, but for a small equalisation charge.
AFL sets the price and "category" of the match and the money goes to the club. That's what I meant

AFL sets the price and "category" of the match and the money goes to the club. That's what I meant

Are you sure? I can't imagine why the AFL simply wouldn't do what the home club wants in this case. I'm by no means sure of it, but as I understood variable pricing the point of it was to allow clubs to set their own price levels and therefore increase/decrease their stadium returns as they see fit.

Are you sure? I can't imagine why the AFL simply wouldn't do what the home club wants in this case. I'm by no means sure of it, but as I understood variable pricing the point of it was to allow clubs to set their own price levels and therefore increase/decrease their stadium returns as they see fit.
I'm only going off by what Etihad stadium staff told me last season when I had to pay $12 ontop if my Richmond membership to get a similar seat to what I get at MCG when we played a home match v Port there last season. They said the AFL set the pricing and layout not the stadium or club to direct a complaint to them. This could have changed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this Sunday will be a good show of what an out of form port Adelaide is able to still pull to Adelaide oval. Final chances are basically over, Stkilda near the bottom of the ladder with nothing really on the line will be interesting to see what number can be pulled.

Also a lot of people are being optimistic about the Friday night crowd, and though I hope to be proven wrong I doubt the record for these 2 clubs will be broken

I think this Sunday will be a good show of what an out of form port Adelaide is able to still pull to Adelaide oval. Final chances are basically over, Stkilda near the bottom of the ladder with nothing really on the line will be interesting to see what number can be pulled.

Also a lot of people are being optimistic about the Friday night crowd, and though I hope to be proven wrong I doubt the record for these 2 clubs will be broken
Why do you doubt it to be broken?

What would you deem acceptable Rouel?

MCC predications for the MCG games -

Hawthorn v Richmond 65000
Collingwood v Melbourne 45000

60% of MCG games haven't reached the MCC predication so far this season

Interesting that the majority of games are failing to reach MCG prediction and that in itself indicates that Victorian attendances have softened. There is no longer a real argument. Richmond's failure to breach 40,000 V Freo shocked me. That game would have easily breached 40K a few years ago.

There were how many Blues there on Friday? Perhaps 13,000. 15,000 max. There were probably not many more than 19,000 Bombers. I strongly doubt if either has been as low in decades. Richmond, the surge club with its ability to draw to the G when on a roll underhitting by thousands compared to sensible predictions.......something is wrong !!!

I honestly believe that in the circumstances of 2010 to 2012 the Hawthorn v Richmond game would exceed 70,000. Over on our board the Richmond regulars have been talking down friday's attendance all week and it is likely to get near enough the G estimate. If that.

The Pies v Dees game will get several thousand off what it would have drawn a few years ago in similar circumstances. No one is immune.

Poor form for the Bigger clubs? WCE and Freo occupying the top 4? weather? Live against the gate? standard of footy? We all have our pet reasons but attendance in Victoria is struggling.

Last edited:
Why do you doubt it to be broken?

Because I doubt the Tigers supporters will come out like they would if they believed they actually had a chance of knocking them off.
I hope I'm wrong and there is 80000 there!

But I'm still deciding weather or not to make the 6 hour return trip, (that I've done 9 times this year) because I don't think we will be able to compete with them, also the idea of sitting up on the top deck in general admission doesn't appeal either when half of Hawks reserved seats behind the goals will be empty.

Interesting that the majority of games are failing to reach MCG prediction and that in itself indicates that Victorian attendances have softened. There is no longer a real argument. Richmond's failure to breach 40,000 V Freo shocked me. That game would have easily breached 40K a few years ago.

There were how many Blues there on Friday? Perhaps 13,000. 15,000 max. There were probably not many more than 19,000 Bombers. I strongly doubt if either has been as low in decades. Richmond, the surge club with its ability to draw to the G when on a roll underhitting by thousands compared to sensible predictions.......something is wrong !!!

[I honestly believe that in the circumstances of 2010 to 2012 the Hawthorn v Richmond game would exceed 70,000. Over on our board the Richmond regulars have been talking down friday's attendance all week and it is likely to get near enough the G estimate. If that.

The Pies v Dees game will get several thousand off what it would have drawn a few years ago in similar circumstances. No one is immune.

Poor form for the Bigger clubs? WCE and Freo occupying the top 4? weather? Live against the gate? standard of footy? We all have our pet reasons but attendance in Victoria is struggling.

Hawthorn and Geelong winning 6 of the last 8 flags is the reason for the decline in crowds. The same thing happened in 1987-1989 with Hawthorn, Essendon and Carlton dominating 1981-1989.

If a new team challenged the status quo (and it could be a team like the Dogs) it would do much to arrest the slump.

With respect to 2010-2012, the Hawks only drew 60,000 to 8/21 home games across the three season...this year they will break 60,000 for the 4th time in 5 home games (73.4k, 63.3k, 62.5k, 41.9k so far this year)...so the slide is relative and not consistent across the Victorian clubs (same as last year)

Tomorrow nights crowd (which according to PAX (52500) is marginally ahead of Haw v Ess (51114) and Haw v Syd (49975) for Wednesday sales) is tracking for 65,000 to 70,000. Equivalent Haw v Rich games in 2010-2012 only drew 41563, 46563, 51617...these games have never been high drawing fixtures for either club, behind Rich v Carl, Ess, Coll and Haw v Geel, Coll, Syd and Ess.

Last edited:
I believe that the live against the gate TV is now starting to bite hard in Melbourne esp for non event/blockbuster type of games n the middle of winter.

The AFL will rue the day they went for the big TV dollars at the expense of crowds.

The one thing that sets the AFL apart from other local codes is the big crowd atmosphere and when we start to get less than 20,000 consistantly to the MCG and Docklands it will hurt the games overall image.The NFL dont allow live against the gate in big games for no good reason.The s**t style of football being played ATM is also not helping
Another point Melbournes population has increased by over 1 million from 2000 thats about 20% but AFL crowds have decreased - think about that for a minute!

I believe that the live against the gate TV is now starting to bite hard in Melbourne esp for non event/blockbuster type of games n the middle of winter.

The AFL will rue the day they went for the big TV dollars at the expense of crowds.

The one thing that sets the AFL apart from other local codes is the big crowd atmosphere and when we start to get less than 20,000 consistantly to the MCG and Docklands it will hurt the games overall image.The NFL dont allow live against the gate in big games for no good reason.The s**t style of football being played ATM is also not helping
Another point Melbournes population has increased by over 1 million from 2000 thats about 20% but AFL crowds have decreased - think about that for a minute!

But we are constantly told by the VFL apologists that Melbourne can support 9 teams due to population growth. Clearly this is bullshit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back