The 2015 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A-League ratings have dived off a cliff this season, according to Wookie's site this same game rated 188k on foxsports last year!
I've noticed that SEN, which has boosted a-league for years, seem a bit desultory this year when discussing it.

I don't know how the Fox numbers compare, but the SBS numbers have been abominable. I think every game has been well under 100k for all 5 capitals.
It must be close to a stage where the cost of production alone is greater than the revenue it brings in. The numbers are pretty close to what the NBL was getting for One before it got ditched. And I don't think Channel 10 paid anything for the NBL rights.
In saying that, the Fox numbers don't seem that bad. Interesting to see how it holds up once the BBL starts - traditionally it hasn't held up well.

Last edited:
2016HALRatings.png

Last edited:

79k on Fox for the Sydney derby seems low? Does anyone recall what the Swans v GWS games typically get on Fox?

For an early in the season clash? yes its low. Same game last year pulled 128k on Fox in round 8 and 135k on Fox in Round 19. Both games were played on the saturday.

For GWS and Sydney, it depends on the time of the year I think.

Round 3 last year pulled 192k on Fox, and another 47k on FTA. (Sat Twilight)
Round 21 last year pulled 60k on Fox and another 55k on FTA. (Sat Arvo)

For an early in the season clash? yes its low. Same game last year pulled 128k on Fox in round 8 and 135k on Fox in Round 19. Both games were played on the saturday.

For GWS and Sydney, it depends on the time of the year I think.

Round 3 last year pulled 192k on Fox, and another 47k on FTA. (Sat Twilight)
Round 21 last year pulled 60k on Fox and another 55k on FTA. (Sat Arvo)

That's a massive disparity between those two sets of numbers.

Page 15 of this PowerPoint presentation shows that four times as many people watch TV around 8pm compared to our GF's opening bounce time of 2.30pm (12.30pm in Perth our second largest market).

http://www.thinktv.com.au/media/TV_TRENDS.pdf

Yes, these figures include weekdays, but it's not hard to conclude that our GF would rate substantially higher if it was moved to night time. It's not 1981 anymore, the shops don't close at 12pm on Saturdays and there are lot more people working on Saturday afternoons than there used to be.

I'm waiting for the campaign by all the traditionalists to move the Saturday semi-final and preliminary final to the 2.30pm timeslot given it's such a wonderful time to stage a big match...
that said a big proportion of your fans are traditional type of people.

the game is marketed to a traditional audience.

If it moves away from that it alienates some of its core fans.

Dont get me wrong, i think they would be higher ratings with a night time slot, but I am not sure it will be all that much more. The biggest thing that will impact the ratings for either code is the two teams playing in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can claim 4 of the top 6. That's pretty good in anyone's language.

Yes but overall the throughout season the AFL is streets ahead and thats what National advertisers look at not just a handful of matches that rate well and thats one of the reasons the AFL gets a lot more from TV.

Yes but overall the throughout season the AFL is streets ahead and thats what National advertisers look at not just a handful of matches that rate well and thats one of the reasons the AFL gets a lot more from TV.
the AFL is not streets ahead.

Looks like Mediaweek didn't include those watching origin 2 on GEM in Perth.

CVV5h0eVEAEpZZQ.jpg:large

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back