The absolute state of Channel 7 commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

True about Peter Bell. His interviews before the QF last week were oddly professional. Happy to engage intelligently, very efficient, good presence. He feels like the custodian of Optus Stadium, sets a standard for the broadcast before a ball is bounced.
Every time i see him on the TV, i am expecting that Freo campaigner in the crowd to shake the bell :)

If I could pick the team it would be
Huddo: primary caller
Brayshaw: 2nd play by play caller
Peter Bell: special comments
Carey: special comments.
Daisy: boundary rider.

The current group of Bruce, BT, Ling, Darcy and Richo can barely form their own opinions without seeking support. Ling is the worst. Constantly looks to “Duck, Richo and BT” for validation whenever a thought passes through his head.

It also bothers me how some clearly hold grudges and resentments, and believe a bit of barracking livens up a call.

A constant refrain I have heard, from people like BT and Darce, suggesting it adds spice to a match.

This is an example of how clueless the current AFL and broadcasters are. Yes commentators barracking adds some spice if they barrack for different teams. So basic and obvious; its like they read the first line of some advice and not the rest.

I never understood why Ch 7 didn't throw megabucks at Huddo the instant Dennis decided to give it away.

Do we actually think Hudson is being overlooked and would jump at an opportunity to work for Channel 7 if offered a role? Or is staying at Fox Footy more lucrative for him?

I find it hard to believe Channel 7 management have sat down and made a considered decision about Luke Darcy being a better option for them than Huddo. Huddo is an upgrade in absolutely every category.

amazing that a thread here has gone on for 10 pages with no shitfights and everyone in agreement... truly an achievement for darce, BT, etc

aside from everything mentioned above, the fundamentally unserious atmosphere they cultivate. i dont mean in terms of subpar skills as callers, i mean they seem to try and come across as if they're all mates palling around at the bar, watching the game. i can create that atmosphere for myself when i watch the game with my friends and i wouldn't want any of these people in my living room either

Speed is so underrated and so versatile. At first it was weird hearing him call AFL and NRL games but geez he adapts well to the games he is commentating on.
The best sports commentator we have in Australian sport at present is Brenton Speed. Guy is a gem. A superb in the moment, follow the game caller.

Not sure why Brayshaw seems to get a pass.

His voice grates on me and he commentates like a 20/20 cricket match and his over the top exclamations for a screamer attempt are terrible as though it's a drawn out hit for six.
Truly horrible. With the subtlety of a brick in washing machine.

Symptom of the footies bloated media. I think there simply aren't enough jobs to go around for all of the people who want that type of career in it.

A fair point but it raises the question, if there aren't enough jobs in the industry then why are the standards so much higher ??

Normally in an oversupply of talent, only the absolute best gets the gig so I don't understand why there is such a need to pay big money for such little returns.

Bruce is a legend and has been the best commentator in Australia for decades.
He was. The Bruce of 20 years ago would look at today's version and probably retire in humiliation. He really is disgraceful, compared to what he was two decades ago.

Do we actually think Hudson is being overlooked and would jump at an opportunity to work for Channel 7 if offered a role? Or is staying at Fox Footy more lucrative for him?

I find it hard to believe Channel 7 management have sat down and made a considered decision about Luke Darcy being a better option for them than Huddo. Huddo is an upgrade in absolutely every category.

Luke Darcy's capacity to fapp on about ruck craft is far superior to Huddo, who incidentally would prefer to call the game.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Channel 7 commentators feed a majority Victorian audience (by a fair margin) and so it is natural that they slant to Victorian teams, especially when Collingwood or Carlton are involved. They're in it to service the audience and have no obligation to be fair or balanced.

Actually, for a nationally broadcast game why would the commentators be biased towards the Victorian team? Do neutral Victorian supporters barrack for the Victorian team? No they don't, so why would say a Melbourne vs West Coast game have biased commentary towards Melbourne? West Coast clearly have a much bigger supporter base, therefore there would be a lot more West Coast supporters watching. Whilst the Victorian TV audience would be much higher than in Perth, more than 50-75% would be neutrals who don't actually barrack for Melbourne. Why do they need the biased commentary? Surely if you are arguing that they are trying to please the bigger supporter audience, they would be biased towards West Coast?

He was. The Bruce of 20 years ago would look at today's version and probably retire in humiliation. He really is disgraceful, compared to what he was two decades ago.

He once just called the game but clearly there has been a shift in how they are told to commentate in the last decade or so as they all just waffle on about sweet nothing.

Channel 7s entire production of the footy is an indictment on the league

Rewatching Friday's game today it felt like there was minimal atmosphere compared to being at the ground due to them turning the crowd audio down so much. But we can hear every cough burp and fart of the umpires...

Agreed. At one stage one of them commented on how loud the crowd was or the atmosphere or something. I thought that's great, pity we can't hear it!

Dunno. It was about 10 years ago I guess. They used to have a great stat page as well.

You could also follow one designated player around that a dedicated cameraman focussed on.

I look forward to the day you’re able to press a button on the remote and pick the commentary team of your choice. Surely that’s coming?
Would give mouth breathers out there the option to listen to BT, Lingy and Darcy, while people that actually want to listen to a call of the game can select a Huddo/ Whiteley type option.

He once just called the game but clearly there has been a shift in how they are told to commentate in the last decade or so as they all just waffle on about sweet nothing.

I've been told the producers control the narrative for each match which the commentators are requested to follow, which is where I assume the bias comes from.
There is a briefing 90 minutes before the match that all commentators must attend and I recall Daisy was late the other week and actually admitted on air that she got a brow beating from the producer.
Irrespective of my allegiances the narrative last Friday night was promoting the Dees story, which I understand and is great for Dees supporters, but it gets a bit obvious when the commentators started repeating references to 1964 and 12 years since playing finals etc. and also continually saying Melbourne need to do this to win, oh they can't afford to drop marks like that etc. The week before the narrative was clearly Clarko's magic with cunning plans and tactics that was going to derail the Tigers finals campaign...
Last Saturdays match was better, yes there was different commentators, but it was still obvious the narrative was the Pies, which was easy to stick to for the commentators when GWS played absolute rubbish for the first quarter and a half...

amazing that a thread here has gone on for 10 pages with no shitfights and everyone in agreement... truly an achievement for darce, BT, etc

aside from everything mentioned above, the fundamentally unserious atmosphere they cultivate. i dont mean in terms of subpar skills as callers, i mean they seem to try and come across as if they're all mates palling around at the bar, watching the game. i can create that atmosphere for myself when i watch the game with my friends and i wouldn't want any of these people in my living room either

This thread may be a Bigfooty first.

There’s been a couple of attempted trolls but they’ve pretty much been ignored.

When everyone agrees on something there’s definitely something wrong.

Luke Darcy makes Basil, Hame and BT seem borderline competent. If there was an award for the most inept commentator in world sport he'd be unbackable. The guy has no idea who half the players are and spits out random words at high volume in lieu of anything even remotely descriptive when something exciting happens
Congratulations you win this thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back