Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh sorry mate. Just seems that every man and his dog's a mind reader when it comes to Goodes and what he thinks I just didn't want to miss out on the fun. .

But yeah, the thinks you're a clown and so do Clarko, Hodge, Lewis and Burgoyne.

But you keep filling your lungs bud.

Wow So you know the whole Hawthorn team now and what they think personally.

Luckily for me i don't rely upon the AFL and footballers to tell me what i should and shouldn't be thinking and doing.

Good luck with your own lack of ability to think for yourself.

Mate, this is the AFL, they have called their paying customers racists, now they will evict them or call the police if they boo

PEAK ****IN STUPID.

Served up shit games in great time slots ****ed with the rules and increased pricing every year

Maybe the fans need to turn on the AFL

look at his actions on the football field! constantly carrying on.
But you went past football, you called him a shit bloke and a campaigner of a human being.

You know very little of him as a person. You are in no position to make that judgment.

Yeah mate you are right. He should bow to the superiority of the white man just like his people have for generations. Jesus, if one good thing has come from this sorry saga, it is seeing people for who they are. I had the view that AFL was inclusive and diverse. Posts like yours just show how wrong I was.
Nah, there are morons everywhere you go.

This is should probably move to SRP but I will just finish my point with the fact that no modern race has inhabited a land for over 40,000 years and had it ripped off them in a fraction of the time. Then for over 200years to pass with descendants, who too did not choose to be born into a world where they are most likely to die earlier, commit crime and suffer much lower standards of life than any other Australian. For them to still not be recognised in the constitution, is a disgrace and is what Adam Goodes is standing up for.

Have a read, it is truly fascinating what we are still learning about the history of this very old race - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australians

Please allow me a minute to climb down from my soap box.
Heard of Native Americans?

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Goodes wasn't booed on a mass scale after he did something dirty or got suspended. Goodes wasn't booed after a run of dubious free kicks. Goodes wasn't booed after his brownlow win. Can we dispense with the ducking and weaving and at least agree that there are a few clear incidents that kicked the whole thing off?

Goodes was booed after being racially abused by a young girl, and subsequently, after years of work with the indigenous communities around Australia, winning the Australian of the Year award and opening up some very serious, yet uncomfortable conversations about race.

People have this moronic idea that racism is about wearing the Australian flag as a cape and screaming "**** the abos!" It's a lot more subtle than that, it's systemic, it's ingrained in our culture. No one, including Goodes, is saying that any individual or collective needs to feel 'guilt' or 'shame' for past atrocities perpetuated against aboriginal Australians. What Goodes and others are doing is trying to get people to recognise is that most people living in this country indirectly benefit from the theft, rape and massacre of an entire group of people. This has lasting impacts and the wounds are still fresh. Aboriginals were still classified as fauna less than 50 years ago. I still find it hard to wrap my head around that. Indigenous heads were sent back on ships to England. Tasmanian aboriginal people were wiped off the face of the planet.

None of this implies any sort of culpability for any one white Australian, including myself. It's not my fault that I benefit from the past slaughtering of indigenous people and I'm not going to apologise to anyone for it. But I DO. And that's the important thing. That's the conversation Goodes was trying to have. Realising that maybe young Travis being in jail or having too much drink isn't just a result of loose morals or poor character, but at least partly because of systemic injustices past and present that put him in a position that you couldn't possibly pretend to fully empathise with.

Unfortunately a large proportion of the Australian population wasn't mature or intelligent enough to have this conversation. They heard terms like 'genocide', 'theft', 'invasion' and 'race problems' and quickly jumped on the defensive. They couldn't spurt out 'but I don't hate aboriginals' quick enough. And unfortunately, this is how real racism is perpetuated. Not because your old fashioned uncle (believe me, I have several) openly said 'you can't trust them' but through the failure of everyday Australians to recognise and own the role they inadvertently play in systemic injustice. So then Goodes is a 'flog', a 'grandstander', 'divisive' and other such nonsense.

This is the reason Goodes was initially booed. Maybe a tiny percentage of Hawthorn supporters (and now seemingly every other club's supporters) that booed him are openly distrusting and resentful towards aboriginal Australians. But mainly because they couldn't handle or understand a conversation that while uncomfortable for them, is a tragic and real necessity for someone like Goodes. Then tribalism kicked in people started booing him because everyone else was and retrospectively performed mental gymnastics to come up with reasons why they did join in.

Like other people have said, the booing stemmed from racial elements, still has a dark racial undertone and is deeply upsetting for the indigenous AFL community as well as Goodes and his family. Initially I'm willing to give many a free pass for getting caught up in the tribalism. That's a lot of what footy is about. But at this point, if you join in, you're overtly racist, subtly racist, or just not very bright. The latter contingent probably constitutes the majority, but why would you even want to be associated with it at this point?

I'm not sure how many people will read this post, but they really should.

Great points made.

He was booed before this just as other stagers/sookers eg Boomer are booed but it didn't get the media attention because nobody made the false assumption that it was due to race

Come off it, we love booing (and Jobe Watson's booing attracted a lot of attention along with Chris Scott's comments a couple of years ago) but Goodes was nowhere near booed this loudly or persistently since 2012. I wonder why?

Well, if he just punched my team's player a la Hall on Staker, he'd get booed. And fair enough.

What has Goodes done on the field to deserve it?

Im not saying he has done anything on-field to deserve it.

Milne got booed for off-field stuff. Same with Cousins. Same with Carey.

People will always form opinions based on their own conceptions.

I dont think Goodes deserves the boos. But I can see that the AFL telling people to stop is just opening a can of worms.

Am I hearing right.. Goodes may not play because of the booing? Is this dead set? Lebron James has been booed night in night out for years and how does he respond? He wins MVP's, he wins championships, he leads his team like a good leader should. I have never in my life heard him or anyother American sports person complain about being booed.

If Goodes doesn't play he will amplify the situation more.
It's almost as if Goodes is a different person to James and therefore has different emotional tolerance levels.

Amazing.

Exactly
What's done is done and nothing is going to change the past

Harping on it is not a positive step forward
Again - and still - McLeod has the same agenda and is widely respected and was never booed
Why is that ?
Because he didn't rock the boat. And asking for reconciliation is not "harping on it". Show some empathy.

I wonder why WA crowds are especially singled out . Goodes was booed at other games but there wasn't anywhere near as much attention paid to it . Jetta made things worse by reacting in an inflammatory manner (no , it wasn't celebratory by his own admission )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much echoes my opinion. He's chosen to confront racism in a non-approved manner and he gets vilified for it. It baffles me why people therefore think booing him for it is OK.

I agree It might not be OK but saying it is racist is just wrong. I don't boo him but just because I don't like his politics (see his constitutional change agenda) doesn't make me racist does it?

White man gets booed its all part of the game, black man gets booed its racism.......go figure.

White man performs an act of aggression towards the crowd its unacceptable, black man does the same and its acceptable.......go figure.
Its what racists say, like you see lot of here.
This video is really worth a watch.

He was booed before this just as other stagers/sookers eg Boomer are booed but it didn't get the media attention because nobody made the false assumption that it was due to race

Booing is harmless and doesn't interfere with compassion, nor is it insulting . Instead people who make actual insults , or even swear , should be criticized , instead of booers

Well, clearly that's not the case is it? 106 pages and counting and the AFL boss imploring the booing cease contradicts your claim just a tad. You should also tell Lewis Jetta how inoffensive it is.

You obviously dont remember he calling the Australian education system a failure? He was a flog.
Yeah, all the drunken morons at the cricket were chanting because of that. :D

Besides, he may have had a point............

Im not saying he has done anything on-field to deserve it.

Milne got booed for off-field stuff. Same with Cousins. Same with Carey.

People will always form opinions based on their own conceptions.

I dont think Goodes deserves the boos. But I can see that the AFL telling people to stop is just opening a can of worms.

Didn't agree with the Milne booing either. Carey slept with his teammate's wife and left the club, hardly the same thing.

I do agree though that the AFL intervening with a statement won't do anything. You want fans to stop? Either lock out the stadium on game day or deduct premiership points. That's how it's done in European football when the crowds act up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back