Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Goodes did his initial spear throwing, I thought "What a knob" and thought he was being ridiculous and stupid.
I even thought about it for a while a few days later and still came to the same conclusion.
I thought the booing would eventually subside and we could all go back to what we were doing. But it didn't subside. it got worse until it culminated to a crescendo in Perth on Sunday.
So I actually sat down and thought about it again and this is where I can say that Adam's actions challenged me to rethink everything. As a society we applaud stands against racism as long it's on our (the white man's) terms. Goodes confronts this and challenged my perceptions by taking it a step further. He wants to stamp out racism and defend his people the way he wants and this is where I changed my tune.
Lewis Jetta stood up for a mate on Sunday. other players stand up for their teammates by means of fighting, wrestling and 'flying the flag'. A short war dance is far less violent way of standing up for a mate than a jumper punch.
What does this all mean? Well probably nothing for anyone, but for me I finally 'get it' when I didn't at first.
Why should Adam Goodes stop doing what he's doing because it may upset people? If people actually thought about why he is doing it, instead of jump to silly conclusions then I think they would understand a little better.
The only person's actions I can control is my own. Richmond don't play a home against Sydney this year, but I would not boo Adam Goodes and neither would my children if they came with me. That's a start.
I really, really, really hope the booing stops.
In USA they ban celebrations in many sports to stop inciting the crowd. Seems like the complete opposite here if aboriginals can go around throwing spears at opposition spectators and then have a sook over boos

When Goodes did his initial spear throwing, I thought "What a knob" and thought he was being ridiculous and stupid.
I even thought about it for a while a few days later and still came to the same conclusion.
I thought the booing would eventually subside and we could all go back to what we were doing. But it didn't subside. it got worse until it culminated to a crescendo in Perth on Sunday.
So I actually sat down and thought about it again and this is where I can say that Adam's actions challenged me to rethink everything. As a society we applaud stands against racism as long it's on our (the white man's) terms. Goodes confronts this and challenged my perceptions by taking it a step further. He wants to stamp out racism and defend his people the way he wants and this is where I changed my tune.
Lewis Jetta stood up for a mate on Sunday. other players stand up for their teammates by means of fighting, wrestling and 'flying the flag'. A short war dance is far less violent way of standing up for a mate than a jumper punch.
What does this all mean? Well probably nothing for anyone, but for me I finally 'get it' when I didn't at first.
Why should Adam Goodes stop doing what he's doing because it may upset people? If people actually thought about why he is doing it, instead of jump to silly conclusions then I think they would understand a little better.
The only person's actions I can control is my own. Richmond don't play a home against Sydney this year, but I would not boo Adam Goodes and neither would my children if they came with me. That's a start.

Pretty much echoes my opinion. He's chosen to confront racism in a non-approved manner and he gets vilified for it. It baffles me why people therefore think booing him for it is OK.

The question is the kid asking you why you're booing.

How do you answer?

What has Goodes done that sets him apart from the rest? How is he a 's**t campaigner of a human bean'?

Typical reaction from someone offended by the 'uppity black'.
look at the flog on the football field, always pleading & carrying on to the umpires, there you will find your answer.

Since when does Rioli get booed?

Ballantyne and Libba (I assume you mean Senior) had a history of dubious acts - they're not being judged for something that happened off-field. And then of course we boo players when they are perceived to have been unduly rough or shooting for goal.

Great. But completely different from the Goodes booing before he had even done anything.

Exactly like goodes, thats the reason i boo him, as i did libba and ballantyne

Quality post. The bold text could have a couple of words swapped around to give an insight into the minds of the booing people.
"Why should people stop doing what they are doing because it may upset people? If Adam Goodes actually thought about why they are doing it, instead of jump to silly conclusions then I think he would understand a little better."

It remains a very unfortunate situation that the media IMO has played the biggest part in over the last few months.

Last edited:
Why should Adam Goodes stop doing what he's doing because it may upset people?

He shouldn't. It would be sad if that happened. But you can't throw imaginary spears at football crowds and not expect them to boo you. Its just adding fuel to the fire.

Having said that, its all just part of the game and people are losing sight at that. If Goodes walked down the main street of Perth I doubt he would get booed - or at least nothing more than in a joking manner. He'd probably get a lot more people wanting his autograph.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is most if not all countries have experienced invasion of some sort whether it was the Romans or Danes in Britain or the indigenous people of this great land, it is the way of the World maybe all peoples need to let go of these centuries old grievances and move on or we will still be having this discussion at Worlds end?

Exactly
What's done is done and nothing is going to change the past

Harping on it is not a positive step forward
Again - and still - McLeod has the same agenda and is widely respected and was never booed
Why is that ?

I think the only player I hate more than Goodes is Steve Johnson.

Am I hearing right.. Goodes may not play because of the booing? Is this dead set? Lebron James has been booed night in night out for years and how does he respond? He wins MVP's, he wins championships, he leads his team like a good leader should. I have never in my life heard him or anyother American sports person complain about being booed.

If Goodes doesn't play he will amplify the situation more.

Yup

True colours shining through

I love Aboriginal people and some of my friends are aboriginal too and I felt shame in what I saw and what I'm reading tonight .......the hatred is coming though

It's very very sad to read some posts on here that are Racists and pig headed also

No wonder the two most hated players on bigfooty Goodes & Thomas are aboriginal.
Even to the point some have even wished death upon them...
Selwood and Shuey did exactly what Thomas did but they were clever and brave for it.
I personally don't think Goodes deserves to be booed for every possession.
It's childish and lacks class and I won't be participating in it.

look at his actions on the football field! constantly carrying on.

Yeah, always winning browlow medals, getting all Australians, best a fairest, I mean really, what a fool. And just look at his actions off the field, supporting remote disadvantaged comunities, making a stand against racist behaviour at the footy, winning AotY, what a fool.

And my niece, who is a proud indigenous woman and a mad West Coast fan said this last night.

"I do however find it interesting that Goodesy, who has been a star player his whole career, a great role model and reasonably quiet achiever - it wasn't until he took a stand and raised the issue of 'racism' at an AFL match that he'd received and being accused of being a 'sook' - that he's since been 'booed' - this isn't about shooting someone down when they have a particular belief or feeling - it's about listening and growing as people, getting along and just showing compassion and understanding regardless of who you are and where your from.
He was booed before this just as other stagers/sookers eg Boomer are booed but it didn't get the media attention because nobody made the false assumption that it was due to race

Booing is harmless and doesn't interfere with compassion, nor is it insulting . Instead people who make actual insults , or even swear , should be criticized , instead of booers

some questions:

does the sydney crowd boo adam goodes?

if no, are we to believe there no racists in sydney?

are racists only attracted to clubs other than sydney?

if racists are found in equal measure everywhere, why haven't the sydney racists taken the opportunity to make the booing just as loud in sydney?

Oh well, perhaps the next reaction to Goodes doing anything on field will be complete silence.......would that be better?
Could always turn our backs ..... Wasn't that done in parliament ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back