Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you boo the All Blacks after their haka?

I think there is a difference between a pre-game thing directed at opposition players, and a mid-game thing towards the opposition supporters.

I think most players with over-the-top goal celebrations get booed (momentarily obviously).

I haven't booed Goodes but am much more likely to now that everyone particularly Caro and other media tosspots are telling me not to. I don't really give two shits how that makes any swans players feel. In fact if it puts any of them off their game of course I'll boo till I'm blue.

I also don't give two shits if people believe I'm racist. I know I treat people equally regardless of race.

Proudly non conformist, recalcitrant maybe, but not racist.

Your appendage must be substantial

You are knowingly allowing Carline Wilson and media tosspots affect your decision making. You're less of a free thinker than you might realise.

So the next time we see him grace the field perhaps a deathly silence should envelope the arena. I'm sure that would be misconstrued as well.

i saw this. really though, what option does he have but to fall in line with his peers, those who pay his salary and give him a platform? he could no more flap his arms and fly to the moon than say anything else on the matter.

Try getting the salary he currently gets. If the fans stop turning up he will end up playing footy in front of the Record seller and Water boys.

Media rights pay money because of the fans, not because of the quality of football.

How about the AFL and related parties come out in unison and speak out against booing and the toll it is having on players without trying vilify their paying customers by making blanket statesments about them being racist if they boo Goodes.

They had their chance to help out umpires and all other players that get hounded weekly but no they had to make it about Adam Goodes and now all that's achieved is putting even more people offside with him.

I haven't booed Goodes but am much more likely to now that everyone particularly Caro and other media tosspots are telling me not to. I don't really give two shits how that makes any swans players feel. In fact if it puts any of them off their game of course I'll boo till I'm blue.

I also don't give two shits if people believe I'm racist. I know I treat people equally regardless of race.

That's your right. I'd like to think that when somebody asks you not to do something as they find it very upsetting, and the act of NOT doing it takes a minimum level of restraint, it's easier and kinder to just acquiesce as opposed to going out of your way to upset someone. Of course that probably makes me a lefty, bleeding-heart member of the PC-Brigade but I'll take that over being on the same side of an argument as Andrew Bolt.

I enjoy how a majority of posts in this thread involve people regurgitating the same asinine point every other simpleton has already made while thinking it's some important new insight that the rest of us have somehow missed.

'Guds be a divin carmpagner, I aintz not a wacist and neithers is anyone else'. 'Political correctness gone mad'

Regardless of why this phenomenon started, if Lewis Jetta's reaction hasn't helped make you aware that this issue has become bigger than your personal opinion of Adam Goodes, there is no point trying to explain it to you.

And if you accept that it has turned into a racial issue, what do you have to gain by insisting that it shouldn't be?

Goodes pushed himself into the political spotlight while still playing footy. He's used his position of AOTY to get the exposure to say that modern Australia is built on rape and murder.

Now maybe some agree, but plenty won't.

But those "plenty" would be wrong. As someone who has majored in Australian history at uni, I know that most Australians have a 'roses' view of the past, and all sorts of myths about our origins, and they don't appreciate having them disturbed.

Goodes is trying to make people reassess their comfortable thoughts about Australia's colonial past. He's trying to make people think... Perhaps it's unsurprising that many people are furious about this.

What came first ???
People didn't just get up one morning and decide to boo him

Booing is the negative reaction to a negative action

The fact that it's equal and opposite also is the way of the world

If Goodes does big hug of the 13 year old girl and says I forgive you for what you said, would that not have been a better course of action ?
Again - booing ain't a sophisticated way to communicate one's view of how to progress racial politics. It's effect may have a MORE negative overtone. People keep coming back to how he has erred with what happened with the girl. He might have - but is booing the way to deal with that? Do you seriously not get the problem with how the message is conveyed? Ironic given your main issue with Goodes is how he conveyed his message. Oh wells....

I liked your post, because I agree that the media have no business telling us how to behave.

Hard to call yourself a non-conformist for joining thousands in booing tho :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They weren't classed as people in the census. You can argue the tangible relevance of that, but it says a lot culturally.
There is a difference between not being counted in the census and classified as fauna. Don't get me wrong, it is a terrible indictment on the Australian society, however your point comes across even stronger by not perpetuating myths.

some questions:

does the sydney crowd boo adam goodes?

if no, are we to believe there no racists in sydney?

are racists only attracted to clubs other than sydney?

if racists are found in equal measure everywhere, why haven't the sydney racists taken the opportunity to make the booing just as loud in sydney?

did the St Kilda crowd boo that St Kilda player?

if no, are we to believe all St Kilda fans are all rapists?

are rapists only attracted to St Kilda?

if rapists are found in equal measure everywhere, why haven't the St Kilda non-rapists taken the opportunity to make the booing just as loud in St Kilda?

don't go all maieutic on me. answer the question like i would answer yours.

btw, i don't boo anyone.

The haka is an accepted cultural tradition but it's still meant to antagonise.

Why are we not as accepting of indigenous players doing a war dance to celebrate? Sure, it's meant to antagonise but just boo the player kicking the goal against your team, and get over it for the next bounce. For me the whole war dance kerfuffle is just as embarassing, as if the indigenous players aren't allowed to do something indigenous.

I've heard many people say the only reason Adam Goodes is bood is because he's a flog or dirty.... Really?

Barry Hall was a thug, way worse than anything Goodes has done, he wasn't bood near as much.

Ben Cousins, a drug addict and a complete wank. Didn't cop near as many boos as Goodes.

Steven Milne was charged with rape FFS!

If you boo Adam Goodes, no matter what reason you choose to use to make yourself feel better, you are a w@nker. Have some ******* respect for him and his family, it's gone too far and it's an embarrassment to the game!

I have never bood a player but I hated and still hate Barry Hall more then any player to ever play the game

What does that make me? Probably just a hater nothing more

But those "plenty" would be wrong. As someone who has majored in Australian history at uni, I know that most Australians have a 'roses' view of the past, and all sorts of myths about our origins, and they don't appreciate having them disturbed.

Goodes is trying to make people reassess their comfortable thoughts about Australia's colonial past. He's trying to make people think... Perhaps it's unsurprising that many people are furious about this.

Nah, I'm not sure what you studied but I'm pretty confident that the settlers landed and politely approached the indigenous with a "Tally ho! Old chaps - mind if we have your land?" and the aborigines gave them a curt nod and everything was peaceful. I can't imagine any murder, theft or rape was involved at all...

This thread makes my brain hurt.

Goodes wasn't booed on a mass scale after he did something dirty or got suspended. Goodes wasn't booed after a run of dubious free kicks. Goodes wasn't booed after his brownlow win. Can we dispense with the ducking and weaving and at least agree that there are a few clear incidents that kicked the whole thing off?

Goodes was booed after being racially abused by a young girl, and subsequently, after years of work with the indigenous communities around Australia, winning the Australian of the Year award and opening up some very serious, yet uncomfortable conversations about race.

People have this moronic idea that racism is about wearing the Australian flag as a cape and screaming "**** the abos!" It's a lot more subtle than that, it's systemic, it's ingrained in our culture. No one, including Goodes, is saying that any individual or collective needs to feel 'guilt' or 'shame' for past atrocities perpetuated against aboriginal Australians. What Goodes and others are doing is trying to get people to recognise is that most people living in this country indirectly benefit from the theft, rape and massacre of an entire group of people. This has lasting impacts and the wounds are still fresh. Aboriginals were still classified as fauna less than 50 years ago. I still find it hard to wrap my head around that. Indigenous heads were sent back on ships to England. Tasmanian aboriginal people were wiped off the face of the planet.

None of this implies any sort of culpability for any one white Australian, including myself. It's not my fault that I benefit from the past slaughtering of indigenous people and I'm not going to apologise to anyone for it. But I DO. And that's the important thing. That's the conversation Goodes was trying to have. Realising that maybe young Travis being in jail or having too much drink isn't just a result of loose morals or poor character, but at least partly because of systemic injustices past and present that put him in a position that you couldn't possibly pretend to fully empathise with.

Unfortunately a large proportion of the Australian population wasn't mature or intelligent enough to have this conversation. They heard terms like 'genocide', 'theft', 'invasion' and 'race problems' and quickly jumped on the defensive. They couldn't spurt out 'but I don't hate aboriginals' quick enough. And unfortunately, this is how real racism is perpetuated. Not because your old fashioned uncle (believe me, I have several) openly said 'you can't trust them' but through the failure of everyday Australians to recognise and own the role they inadvertently play in systemic injustice. So then Goodes is a 'flog', a 'grandstander', 'divisive' and other such nonsense.

This is the reason Goodes was initially booed. Maybe a tiny percentage of Hawthorn supporters (and now seemingly every other club's supporters) that booed him are openly distrusting and resentful towards aboriginal Australians. But mainly because they couldn't handle or understand a conversation that while uncomfortable for them, is a tragic and real necessity for someone like Goodes. Then tribalism kicked in people started booing him because everyone else was and retrospectively performed mental gymnastics to come up with reasons why they did join in.

Like other people have said, the booing stemmed from racial elements, still has a dark racial undertone and is deeply upsetting for the indigenous AFL community as well as Goodes and his family. Initially I'm willing to give many a free pass for getting caught up in the tribalism. That's a lot of what footy is about. But at this point, if you join in, you're overtly racist, subtly racist, or just not very bright. The latter contingent probably constitutes the majority, but why would you even want to be associated with it at this point?
Certified legendary post. Well done.

So Allen Christensen is playing Geelong at Geelong this week. It'll be interesting to see what happens there. I'm just glad that Ryder played against the Bombers last week and not this week (not his 4 goals though, **** it!).

There is a difference between not being counted in the census and classified as fauna. Don't get me wrong, it is a terrible indictment on the Australian society, however your point comes across even stronger by not perpetuating myths.

Yeah don't worry, I'll take note. I'm not a fan of misrepresenting facts just because it suits my point. It's actually something I hold pretty important. Domestic violence advocates citing the '2 a week' Destroy the Joint stat for example. The facts and the issues should speak for themselves. I'll edit the post.

That's your right. I'd like to think that when somebody asks you not to do something as they find it very upsetting, and the act of NOT doing it takes a minimum level of restraint, it's easier and kinder to just acquiesce as opposed to going out of your way to upset someone. Of course that probably makes me a lefty, bleeding-heart member of the PC-Brigade but I'll take that over being on the same side of an argument as Andrew Bolt.
For the record I'm most likely further left than you, and it's the bolteske ideology to dictate people's behaviour.

If there was any evidence if was effecting Goodes any more that putting him off his game of course I would have compassion.

How about - "I've got no idea, I am just doing it because everyone else is"

If its as innocuous as that, someone kindly explain to Adam that it's just silly sheep mentality of a minority of fans. Maybe he'll not have his mental frailties triggered from understanding the situation better.

So if an aboriginal is boo-ed it's racist, and if they're white its okay?
seems like double standards no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back