The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at the change of tune on this board from when we were offered Sturridge as part of the Torres deal. No one wanted him back then, even though he was only valued at 5m. Now all of a sudden he's a world class talent who we plucked from Chelsea right under their noses.

Lol at the change of tune on this board from when we were offered Sturridge as part of the Torres deal. No one wanted him back then, even though he was only valued at 5m. Now all of a sudden he's a world class talent who we plucked from Chelsea right under their noses.

Pretty sure you'll find just as much negativity when we were linked to Torres too! Funny thing about replacing your heroes ( and in this case, at the time, Torres made us all wet like school girls at a 1D concert), the replacement, when not the finished product, never seems good enough...

Also, for the record, when linked to Suarez, although there was excitement, there was also doubts he would be (a) the number one man and (b) able to replicate what he had done in Holland...

Great analysis of Lovren by Neville & Carragher on Monday Night Football:

I challenge you not to chuckle when he absolutely sacks Van Persie then sprints away with the ball, pulling off a few stepovers as he breaks into space!

I'm still not completely convinced, he showed last season that he's a very good CB but for that money there are a few others I would have preferred.. Happy to be proven wrong though!

Interesting that they discuss his leadership qualities and the role that he played in transforming Southampton into one of the tightest defences in the league. I mentioned a few times last season that it wasn't individual quality we were lacking back there, but someone to stand up, take control and organize the back 4 in the absence of Carragher. Agger did it when he played and we rarely got caught out playing too high or too deep when he was on the field (his weakness was dealing with set pieces). On the other hand, Sakho, Skrtel & Kolo in particular really struggled with that organizational aspect for whatever reason, and in my opinion that was why we conceded so many goals last season. Will Lovren be the answer? Who knows, I guess I'll have to trust Rodgers on this one - but it's good to see 2 such tactically astute former defenders such as Neville & Carragher rating him so highly.

Last edited:

Also, for the record, when linked to Suarez, although there was excitement, there was also doubts he would be (a) the number one man and (b) able to replicate what he had done in Holland...

Remember when we got him we thought we were getting a very good striker who could finish or play as a wide forward like David Villa. We certainly didn't expect all that ridiculously good stuff he does coming from deep looking like he wants to be Diego Maradona

Agger is too weak to be a Prem CB let's just acknowledge it because it's 2014 and we've probably refused to admit it for too long

ma
That would be Agger.
Sorry mate but he hasn't been that for a while.. He will be 30 this season, injury has been an issue his whole career for us, only way for him will be down from here. I still think he's a good player abd would be happy if he stayed but I want Lovren and sakho as our 1 and 2

ma
That would be Agger.
Sorry mate but he hasn't been that for a while.. He will be 30 this season, injury has been an issue his whole career for us, only way for him will be down from here. I still think he's a good player abd would be happy if he stayed but I want Lovren and sakho as our 1 and 2

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back