The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not too concerned for how long they are suspended as long as they're found guily and Watson and Heppell should be stripped of their brownlow and rising star awards.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ndon-doping-saga/story-fni5f6kv-1227281442402

Sounds like Gill is preparing us all for the Bombers getting a very light slap on the wrist.

Reckon a full backdated suspension is on the cards, with the players free to play round 1.

This isn't a popular view amongst non-Essendon fans, but I really hope that's the case.

I don't think much of the club, and some of their supporters are a pain, but I actually really like the team and I'd like to see them have a real crack this season.

And whatever damage is to be done to the anti-doping regime in Australia has already been done by the drawn-out process and the conflicting information.

So bring on the backdated suspensions, let them play round one, and lets get back to focusing on the footy.

How is it fair if the players get suspended for two or three rounds, wouldnt that advantage the teams playing them in the first two or three rounds? (Sydney, Hawthorn, Carlton).

Really they should be docked points.

I don't know, but my impression of that article, like lionbear's, was that it was more "please please please no one appeal" than softening people up for whatever the result of it all is going to be.

I read his comments more as "Hopefully ASADA just cop it sweet".

I think Goodes last night put it perfectly on the Footy Show, if they cop a weak suspension or no suspension, AFL will be a laughing stock of world sport.

I still have a major issue on the fact the players could walk even though it hasn't been proven exactly what was injected. No records, should equal suspension of some kind.

that's the underlying thing here, ASADA and WADA will be watching very carefully, the AFL in Australia is as big as any major sport in other countries and they will be very aware of repercussions that could come from those countries if the AFL give them a slap on the bum and say see you in a couple of weeks.

Its going to be interesting to see what way they go, they (AFL) wont want a bigger drawing crowd team getting flogged for to long, yet they need to show they are doing the right thing by the bigger authorities in the doping world.

I'd like to see the players punished so that players all around the league realise that it's not good enough to simply trust what your club is putting into your body; you alone are responsible for that.

The players will probably end up with a slap on the wrist so I do hope that WADA get involved. Actually dealing with the issues of drugs in sport is more important than things being dropped because it's been going on a while and people get bored with it.

I would love to know what WADA think of the fact the head coach throughout the program not only survived, but got a lucrative contract extension.

I thought it was interesting-

he said -
The players had no knowledge what they took was illegal
But that is not a defence under the code

I actually wonder whether he was really saying

"The AFL aren't the bad guy here, we want this over, everyone wants this over, the AFL knows it's not the players fault... but if the players get wacked, well, the code is the code is the code"

*nods* I read it to mean if it was up to us we would be all civilized and sportsman like and give you the two/three weeks but it is not up to us so just shoot the messenger (ASADA) rather than take it out of the Code ... oh and no matter what happens can we please just the **** move on!

Reading the article I think he is softening the way for light player penalties but another significant whack at Essendon the club.

Maybe de-register Essendon for two years but let the rest of the league draft the players while Essendon keeps paying them...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see the players punished so that players all around the league realise that it's not good enough to simply trust what your club is putting into your body; you alone are responsible for that.

The players will probably end up with a slap on the wrist so I do hope that WADA get involved. Actually dealing with the issues of drugs in sport is more important than things being dropped because it's been going on a while and people get bored with it.

I think they're well aware of that right now.

Deterrence is a double-edged sword. If they come down hard on the players, then any player in the future who's worried about something they or a teammate have been given by the club, would never come forward and tell the AFL.

From the beginning I have wanted the players, coaches and club punished (beyond the governance penalties already dealt), and I get the point that things shouldn't be dropped just because it's been drawn out and we're tired of it. I have to say though, I am tired of it. It has been so terribly dealt with and I am less and less sure that the players are guilty of anything. At the same time though, I take some solace from the fact that it has been so drawn out, that a punishment has already been served, of sorts.
The point of penalty is twofold; punishment and deterrent. 2 years of speculation, uncertainty and costs could be argued as penalty (almost) enough. What club or player would risk the debacle this has been. Players uncertain of their future, some their health, a club incurring millions of $$$ in legal costs (and not sure of brand damage), directors stood down and a coach widely criticised (and one I am sure the club doesn't want). Absolutely under the torch for 2 years, I reckon is tougher than not fielding a team for a few weeks or even months.

More importantly, it has shone a spotlight on the shortcomings of ASADA and the AFL. Both these bodies need to review and rewrite their procedures. I agree with;
How is it fair if the players get suspended for two or three rounds, wouldnt that advantage the teams playing them in the first two or three rounds? (Sydney, Hawthorn, Carlton).

Really they should be docked points.
It compromises the competition and again punishes other clubs. A docking of points and some non-playing heads to roll would be more fitting. I can't see any player being banned for a full season, which is the fair alternative.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ndon-doping-saga/story-fni5f6kv-1227281442402

Sounds like Gill is preparing us all for the Bombers getting a very light slap on the wrist.

Reckon a full backdated suspension is on the cards, with the players free to play round 1.

Players will receive different suspensions; some I can see not playing this year. The 3 matches given to the Cronulla players was for minor use and a guilty plea - this was systematic doping that WADA has the power to remove teams from the competition they play in for a season.

As much as the AFL sees itself as untouchable; 3 days of ASADA presenting evidence suggests there is a lot the public doesn't know about and I cannot see WADA not stepping in if the end result is a wet lettuce across the cheek.

I hope you are right Panthera..

Systematic doping by a club is by far, more serious than any individual 3 strikes player imo....

....and hopefully, WADA has the powers to remove James Hird. Until he is gone, I don't think anyone (bar Essendon fans) will be satisfied this whole thing has been dealt with properly.

This isn't a popular view amongst non-Essendon fans, but I really hope that's the case.

I don't think much of the club, and some of their supporters are a pain, but I actually really like the team and I'd like to see them have a real crack this season.

And whatever damage is to be done to the anti-doping regime in Australia has already been done by the drawn-out process and the conflicting information.

So bring on the backdated suspensions, let them play round one, and lets get back to focusing on the footy.

Disagree mate...why should the rest of the competition have to pump weights over several pre-seasons, yet Essendon gets away with doping their players, many of whom became huge in a short amount of time; gaining an unfair advantage :thumbsdown:

Disagree mate...why should the rest of the competition have to pump weights over several pre-seasons, yet Essendon gets away with doping their players, many of whom became huge in a short amount of time; gaining an unfair advantage :thumbsdown:

Nothing I've heard makes me think Essendon got an unfair advantage from the drugs they took.

Not that that necessarily means they should get off.

I know the prevailing wisdom is that Asada have been shown to be a shambles, but I'm not sure why? The afl, yep, they tried to manage the situation and in doing so damaged the integrity of the game and anti doping in this country but what proof or even evidence is there that Asada have done anything other than their job.

Nothing I've heard makes me think Essendon got an unfair advantage from the drugs they took.

Not that that necessarily means they should get off.

Did you watch them play in the first half of that season?

I know the prevailing wisdom is that Asada have been shown to be a shambles, but I'm not sure why? The afl, yep, they tried to manage the situation and in doing so damaged the integrity of the game and anti doping in this country but what proof or even evidence is there that Asada have done anything other than their job.

The issue for me is more whether they're appropriately resourced.

They did some dumb things with the NRL investigation though, particularly the way they leaked to the media.

Did you watch them play in the first half of that season?

I don't know exactly why they went so early and faded late but it doesn't have to be because of drugs. For one thing, plenty of clubs have big form shifts over the season. Look at Richmond and Gold Coast last year. Look at us, for that matter.

At the time the accepted wisdom as I remember it was that the Bombers had overtrained during the pre-season and couldn't sustain it. I think that's more likely than Steven Dank being a brilliant mad scientist who got a massive short term performance boost out of them through experimental drugs.

I think that's more likely than Steven Dank being a brilliant mad scientist who got a massive short term performance boost out of them through experimental drugs.

Except that a pharmacologically experimental environment is exactly what their own internal report described ...

Except that a pharmacologically experimental environment is exactly what their own internal report described ...

Yeah, and I doubt that had the effect of rapid performance enhancement that jackess suggested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back