The Bombers ASADA/WADA Saga

Remove this Banner Ad

Hird keeps his job for as long as the show causes remain and no-one accepts an ASADA penalty. After that happens the Bombers can fire him and he has no real come back. For that reason I am going to be shocked if he does not try and get an injunction preventing ASADA from proceeding to issue infringement notices.

Gold Coast would've been popping champagne corks last night, the decision not to sack Hird means they will get their man.

As for those talking about GAJ leaving, he was told they were going to approach him and is fine with that decision.

GC will be doing due diligence on selecting their coach...they're going the interview process to get "the best available"....Get the feeling Bomber was trying to short cut that interview process he may feel a few candidates out there that may out interview him..

GC will be doing due diligence on selecting their coach...they're going the interview process to get "the best available"....Get the feeling Bomber was trying to short cut that interview process he may feel a few candidates out there that may out interview him..
GC have done their due diligence, Bomber is the best available candidate by a fair margin, proven record at Geelong, did amazingly well at Essendon given all the crap going on, strong history of developing young talent internally and always been well liked by the vast majority of the playing groups he's been involved with.

GC have done their due diligence, Bomber is the best available candidate by a fair margin, proven record at Geelong, did amazingly well at Essendon given all the crap going on, strong history of developing young talent internally and always been well liked by the vast majority of the playing groups he's been involved with.

If you believe both parties..he hasn't been interviewed.... yet!!..Coming out at the Crighton Medal to the Essendon faithful and saying he doesn't want to leave the Bombers might have put a bit of a hold on popping champagne corks at GC...Sends the message..their club (GCS)is 2nd best..It's not his first choice.. he doesn't hold the same interest in their club as they do.

If you believe both parties..he hasn't been interviewed.... yet!!..Coming out at the Crighton Medal to the Essendon faithful and saying he doesn't want to leave the Bombers might have put a bit of a hold on popping champagne corks at GC...Sends the message..their club (GCS)is 2nd best..It's not his first choice.. he doesn't hold the same interest in their club as they do.
Paul Roos wasn't interviewed by Melbourne and Ross Lyon wasn't intereview by Fremantle still didn't stop them being appointed.

Gold Coast know exactly what they are going to get with Thompson so why bother interviewing him, find out if he is interested, then offer a contract.

I don't think I'm breaking new ground by suggesting Bomber is a slightly different cat....I also think it's fairly obvious that he is passionate and emotional. Given the changing landscape over the last 2-3 days he must be elated that he has now got the opportunity to go away and mull everything over. Pretty sure he has been offered the Gold Coast job which would be tempting enough on a number of levels.

Apparently GC announced yesterday the process to hire a new coach including panel and interviews etc.

Which is one of two things:

1) They haven't got Thompson and are going through the motions for a new coach

2) They have got Thompson and it is a smoke screen.

No way in hell Thompson goes through an interview process..... Contract at first meeting or nothing...

Paul Roos wasn't interviewed by Melbourne and Ross Lyon wasn't intereview by Fremantle still didn't stop them being appointed.

Gold Coast know exactly what they are going to get with Thompson so why bother interviewing him, find out if he is interested, then offer a contract.

IMO an "interview" is a conversation between two or more people where questions are asked ...Roos was definitely sounded out and had several discussions with Jackson and Melbourne officials......

Lyon was interviewed with Freo to take over from Harvey at the end of 2012 what emerged at that meeting was Lyon had a get out clause on his St. Kilda contract...Fremantle initiated an immediate move in '11 and paid out Harvey's contract...

As I mentioned earlier, if you believe what both Thompson & GC ...He hasn't been interviewed for the position yet....the media reports are saying neither have talked to each other...

Mark Thompson has indicated he hasn’t yet spoken to Gold Coast about a coaching job
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...m-bestandfairest/story-fni5f6kv-1227076746213
When asked about the link to Thompson, Gold Coast chairman John Witheriff, said: "I haven't spoken to Bomber Thompson. There has been no one from the Gold Coast Suns speak to Bomber Thompson.
"Contrary to some media reports, Bomber Thompson hasn't been to the Gold Coast and hasn't visited our club."
http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/afl-the-gold-coast-suns-no-mark-thompson/2406559/

Last edited:
I have no doubt Bomber knows who he is coaching in 2015, you don't jump on a plane for a 2 week holiday with senior jobs up for grabs.

Question is has he excepted Essendon or Gold Coast, we will find out in 2 weeks time I guess.

A thought I have, the longer this goes on the more likely it's going to effect next year, at what point does the AFL go to Collingwood and ask "Do you want to play Richmond, Carlton, Geelong or Hawthorn on Anzac Day next year?"

Reality is outside of the GF, it has become the biggest game of the year, and it would be a laughing stock if Essendon has to field its VFL side in front of 90,000 people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no doubt Bomber knows who he is coaching in 2015, you don't jump on a plane for a 2 week holiday with senior jobs up for grabs.

Question is has he excepted Essendon or Gold Coast, we will find out in 2 weeks time I guess.
Everything will become clear Monday after the Essendon board meeting. If Hird is still coach Monday night then Bomber will got to GC, if Hird is sacked he will remain at Essendon, it is that simple now.

Everything will become clear Monday after the Essendon board meeting. If Hird is still coach Monday night then Bomber will got to GC, if Hird is sacked he will remain at Essendon, it is that simple now.

I don't think it is that simple:)

I think Essendon may have pulled the chain on removing Hird, but he has a two year contract they are trying to get out of and minimize the damage. There will be lawyers working on this as we speak if that's the case. Bomber may know the Bombers job is his, but it could take 3 or 4 weeks yet to Finalise Hirds removal if they have decided to do this.

I don't think it is that simple:)

I think Essendon may have pulled the chain on removing Hird, but he has a two year contract they are trying to get out of and minimize the damage. There will be lawyers working on this as we speak if that's the case. Bomber may know the Bombers job is his, but it could take 3 or 4 weeks yet to Finalise Hirds removal if they have decided to do this.
If Little pulls the chain the only argument will be over payout not him keeping his job. Even Hird knows that once the board pull the rug out from under him there is no way he can get back on it, just a question of making sure he falls into a pit of money.

If Little pulls the chain the only argument will be over payout not him keeping his job. Even Hird knows that once the board pull the rug out from under him there is no way he can get back on it, just a question of making sure he falls into a pit of money.
I cannot see any way that Hird will not proceed with fighting this case to the end. It's a Marston and I don't think we are even half way yet.

I cannot see any way that Hird will not proceed with fighting this case to the end. It's a Marston and I don't think we are even half way yet.
The question isn't how far Hird will take it, the question for me is how long will the EFC board put up with the circus going on at the side and being an obvious distraction to Hird and the club.

The question isn't how far Hird will take it, the question for me is how long will the EFC board put up with the circus going on at the side and being an obvious distraction to Hird and the club.
Hird will go all the way - he believes he and the club are innocent of all charges, the players want it settled, that's why the club has shifted its stance, they now want it over as well.

Hird will go all the way - he believes he and the club are innocent of all charges, the players want it settled, that's why the club has shifted its stance, they now want it over as well.

As they say....If you tell yourself something often enough you will start to believe it...

I realise I am probably the lone ranger here, but if I want this to go the journey, because they allegedly still have a few cards to play.

There's plenty to play out....The story has just reached a fork in the road and it all comes down to which way the Essendon Board take on Monday....

There's plenty to play out....The story has just reached a fork in the road and it all comes down to which way the Essendon Board take on Monday....
We know which way they are going, AFL has told them it has to end, Hird has no choic in my view other than to press on, get sacked and then see if he can clear his name and become a billionaire when he sues everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back