Roast The Brownlow has no credibility left

Remove this Banner Ad

Why risk it though?
Betting agencies monitor this stuff far more closely than what the ATO do with tax evasion so it wouldn't be big money involved, that's an immediate red flag.
It wouldn't be short bets on outsiders because that too would draw unwanted attention.

Only way for it to work is if the AFL and betting agencies are all in on it.
The Neale getting 3 votes v Giants needs to investigated imo the AFL needs to sit down with the umpires involved in that game and go through the match tell them how they gave votes the 3 votes to Neale, it wasn't the only weird voting game and you could argue a lot more with the others but this to me was massive "RED FLAG" game.

Does this make sense though, the umpires vote on what they see. They focus on where the ball is, and that's usually in a stoppage situation.

The award is who the umpires think is the best and fairest player.

So you're legitimately going to argue that the umpires were a better judge than the Coaches in the GWS game...where they awarded 7 to Josh Kelly and 2 to Coniglio...who had 41 and 38 respectively...while Lachie had 20 and pretty much zero influence?

That's the hill you're going to die on? The umpires actually being a good judge of who is best on ground when they pull crap like this?

Rightio.

As far as I'm concerned, people that are frustrated by the result are partly to blame. It shows that they still have credibility in the award. The credibility was lost 5-10 years ago and the Coaches Award became the only relevant award in footy.

I mean, you look at Cripps, Wines, Neale this year as well as the best defenders in the game getting 0 votes in full seasons, shame on anyone who actually still held credibility in the award. Don't blame the umps or Neale, blame yourself for believing in the brownlow.

"Blame yourself for believing in the brownlow" has gotta be one of the best sentences ever uttered on this hellscape of a website. I love you Danny.

Back in the 40s it was an umpire giving 3-2-1 votes. No TV making votes transparent to every one. No full analysis by anyone.

80 years later the difference is 4 umpires giving 3-2-1 votes with everyone being aware of the analysis.

The whole award is a farce and therefore less prestigious to the winners. Complete waste of time. Nothing against umpires - their job is really hard as it is and they have no idea who's BOG. The entire award is an anachronism.

Well done Lachie Neale, but, yeh, nah. You weren't the best player this year.
Spot on!

Hence why you’re happy with the result and don’t really care that Neale is completely devoid of Brownlow worthiness this season.

Yeah I hate it when players from my team win awards.

Take the voting away from the Umps already. Who gives a stuff about tradition, they just get it wrong.

Need a better voting system than 3,2,1 as well.

But it is what it is at this point, no idea why anyone would get so worked up about an individual award with clear foibles and randomness in who wins, kind of part of the charm.

So you're legitimately going to argue that the umpires were a better judge than the Coaches in the GWS game...where they awarded 7 to Josh Kelly and 2 to Coniglio...who had 41 and 38 respectively...while Lachie had 20 and pretty much zero influence?

That's the hill you're going to die on? The umpires actually being a good judge of who is best on ground?

Rightio.

Coniglio not getting 3 in that game is worse. Beat Neale in almost every single stat, and still didn't get a vote. It makes no sense at all.

Judd winning in 2010 over Swan/Pendles and Ablett was another surprise
Judd winning over Swan in 2010 was a travesty.

Although I think Judd probably deserved instead of Swan the next year.

I reckon that one sorted itself out in the end.

That's the hill you're going to die on? The umpires actually being a good judge of who is best on ground when they pull crap like this?

Rightio.

Man you love taking people completely out of context.

All they are saying is that the perspective the umpires have is very different to the coaches, thus there is a disparity in how votes shake out. But then you leap to ridiculously emotive judgement like “OH SO YOU THINK UMPIRES ARE INFALLIBLE GODS AMONGST MEN!?!?!?”

You keep desperately trying to point out that you are “neutral” but that does not inoculate you from emotion and irrationality.

It sounds like you have more faith in the judgement of coaches, as would most people. If only there was some sort of AWARD based on what COACHES thought…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rightio.

Well it’s the umpires who award the votes so they decide the Brownlow. I’m sure you might find some head scratching coaches votes if you comb over all the games as well.

Rightio.

Not to mention that we're expecting the umpires to (somehow) keep track of who the best players are - objectively - in a game that has gotten faster and faster, so much so that the number of umpires has gone from 2 to 3 to 4? But they can still tell perfectly who the best players are? Yeah sure.

Or, instead, they just look for the star midfielders that they hear endlessly about from the footy media and give the votes to them no matter whether they deserve it or not.

Well it’s the umpires who award the votes so they decide the Brownlow. I’m sure you might find some head scratching coaches votes if you comb over all the games as well.

The top of the AFLCA has generated zero controversy from what I've seen and pretty much all footy fans agree that it was pretty close to the mark.

Not to mention that we're expecting the umpires to (somehow) keep track of who the best players are - objectively - in a game that has gotten faster and faster, so much so that the number of umpires has gone from 2 to 3 to 4? But they can still tell perfectly who the best players are? Yeah sure.

Or, instead, they just look for the star midfielders that they hear endlessly about from the footy media and give the votes to them no matter whether they deserve it or not.

I’m not sure when umpires begun looking at stats, I’m assuming some time in the 90s.

No way any of the winners between 90-93 would win the way umpires do voting today.

Man you love taking people completely out of context.

All they are saying is that the perspective the umpires have is very different to the coaches, thus there is a disparity in how votes shake out. But then you leap to ridiculously emotive judgement like “OH SO YOU THINK UMPIRES ARE INFALLIBLE GODS AMONGST MEN!?!?!?”

You keep desperately trying to point out that you are “neutral” but that does not inoculate you from emotion and irrationality.

It sounds like you have more faith in the judgement of coaches, as would most people. If only there was some sort of AWARD based on what COACHES thought…
Heres a hot take

Let people bet on the coaches award
Turn betting off for the Brownlow

Which award propsers as the most prestigoous in 10 years time?

What a joke of an award this year. Nick Daicos was BOG vs GWS and polled 0 votes despite having 35+ disposals.

The award is losing relevance each year.
I agree. Neale is an undeserved winner. He won purely on clearances ,possessions and games won.
He is not effiecient with the ball. He was surprised he won. He is not in the top 10 players this year. He got default votes when there was no stand out player.

This from a FoxFooty article published August 15 2023.

'Brisbane Lions star Lachie Neale has admitted his current form is “average”, but has insisted he is close to rediscovering his Brownlow Medal-winning best in time for finals.

While the Lions have locked in another top-four finish under coach Chris Fagan, Neale’s output has been lacking in comparison to the lofty heights he has scaled in recent years.

Fox Footy analyst David King explained last week that, over the previous month, Neale was the 284th ranked midfielder.'

Remove this Banner Ad

Back