The Bye Next year - Like it or Hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pevers-Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2002
Like Anyone Cares
AFL Club
Essendon
With Gold Coast coming in - we will have a team with bye every week, the first time since 94 when Freo entered in 95 (at least one good thing Freo has done).

I for one hated the bye as it meant you had 2 rounds a year where your team didn't play.

Of course we already have a pseudo bye with the split round, but each tema wil now have an extra week of non-football.

Anyone else want either a team to fold/merge or GWS to hurry up and enter the comp?

I probably won't enjoy not being able to watch melbourne those 2 weeks. but i'm sure i'll survive

there is also the benefit of giving players some extra time off to rest and get over injuries and niggles

If the AFL had done the right thing and shunted Carlton up to the GC when they went bankrupt in the early 00s, we wouldn't be in this position.

They will likely schedule a number of teams to have the bye in the same week so there may only be four games in a couple of rounds.

It's a meh issue.

As hinted at above, the big issue will be the advantage given to the clubs who get an extra week's rest just before the finals. You only have to look at the results from the Prelims in recent years to see how helpful this is (even taking into account that teams winning the qualifying finals are usually the better teams).

Going to be weird for SuperCoach/DT. Don't know how it'll be worked around :confused:

That's my biggest concern, I have no idea how they'll circumnavigate it other than possibly refunding you for the bye players that week, and allowing you to respend for temp players? Very, very strange...

In all honesty it'll be a blessing and a curse, no one is going to want to play against a rested Geelong/St Kilda side after they've had a bye and you haven't. Then again it'll be nice to give the players (possibly carrying injuries) an extra week break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know how it will go. Wait and see.

I seem to remember from last time in the mid 90's that teams would often lose the week after having the bye - which is a bit counter-intuitive.

As far as Dream team/Supercoach goes I reckon they just let you have an extra player in each position to allow for it. Up to you to make sure you don't draft too many players from the same team.

As far as Dream team/Supercoach goes I reckon they just let you have an extra player in each position to allow for it. Up to you to make sure you don't draft too many players from the same team.

I would love them to give you the points that their price is at. So if they are 520K in dt you get 120 and so on... the only catch would be the player would've had to have played the week before the bye.

I would love them to give you the points that their price is at. So if they are 520K in dt you get 120 and so on... the only catch would be the player would've had to have played the week before the bye.

I reckon that's a bit too complicated. For mine, just treat it the same as injury, suspension or ommission - just give everyone one more reserve in each position. I think that would be simplest.

Or maybe increase the number of trades by half and allow up to 3 per round?

As hinted at above, the big issue will be the advantage given to the clubs who get an extra week's rest just before the finals. You only have to look at the results from the Prelims in recent years to see how helpful this is (even taking into account that teams winning the qualifying finals are usually the better teams).

2005 PF a little too long ago for you?

like it, hate it .... or just deal with it?

it's not really an issue. i think i'd rather a bye than the split round where the footy season seems very light on for 2 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back