The Chosen Few 2: AFL Captains (9.40pm AEST Ch 7)

Remove this Banner Ad

Question is...who's next?

I'm hoping The Chosen Few 3 are the AFL doormen, the guys that get to say yay or nay to the fans wanting to get into the rooms after a game.

They'd have some stories to tell, for sure...

Will be interesting viewing. The role of captain in this sport is a funny one - no real tactical power (unlike Cricket), not likely to come under pressure if the team doesn't perform (unlike the Coach) but expected to be 'above' the other players in on and off field behaviour. I have always assumed the majority of what they do happens behind closed doors so it will be great to get an insight into that.

Unlikely to just be a standard player interview session involving ego stroking and ass kissing I hope.

Will be interesting viewing. The role of captain in this sport is a funny one - no real tactical power (unlike Cricket), not likely to come under pressure if the team doesn't perform (unlike the Coach) but expected to be 'above' the other players in on and off field behaviour. I have always assumed the majority of what they do happens behind closed doors so it will be great to get an insight into that.

Unlikely to just be a standard player interview session involving ego stroking and ass kissing I hope.

I think judging from what i've read and the preview its actually quite difficult. Even thou you have no tactical power, you are still a leader among your own peer group and this seperates you a bit from the rest of the group and can be isolating apparently.. I mean its ok for a coach because theres a generation gap and maybe even an older captain in a young team (e.g Bob Murphy) but say for a guy like Cotch, whos not that much older from his team mates, its hard.

Even hear him in the preview "i've never been one of the boys as such" <--- imagine everyone in your own peer group seeing you as nothing more as a good mentor or leader, liking you but also not being best mates with you, inviting you for beers etc..

The captains in AFL are similar to ones in soccer in the way that they have to impart what the coach wants on game day

I'm hoping The Chosen Few 3 are the AFL doormen, the guys that get to say yay or nay to the fans wanting to get into the rooms after a game.

If we are putting up nominations I vote for Recruitment/List managers.

Let's see what it is like scouting players, working out who to target and what you are prepared to give up, negotiating inside trade week, sitting at the table on draft night, etc.

If they promise not to release it until say 18 months later (to protect scouting reports etc) it could be incredible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umpires.

A lengthy insight into Razor Ray's match day preparation, as we are able to delve into the insidious OCD that has taken over his life and how he practices to remember the nickname for every player in the competition.

On the bright side, we also get a brief window into the arduous woman-working-in-a-man's-world life of Chelsea Roffey and what she gets up to in her spare time.

Let's see what it is like scouting players, working out who to target and what you are prepared to give up, negotiating inside trade week, sitting at the table on draft night, etc.

If they promise not to release it until say 18 months later (to protect scouting reports etc) it could be incredible.

Ha! That's actually a great idea.

Normally I'd say it was poor, but given his struggles this year with his shoulder it's kinda fair enough. He had enough on his plate.

Would imagine the plates of guys like Jobe Watson and Taylor Walker would have also been a bit full? :)

It's a shame he didn't take part because he's one of the more interesting captains in the league in a sense that we have little insight to him as a captain and his club is riddled with discipline issues.

Umpires.

A lengthy insight into Razor Ray's match day preparation, as we are able to delve into the insidious OCD that has taken over his life and how he practices to remember the nickname for every player in the competition.

On the bright side, we also get a brief window into the arduous woman-working-in-a-man's-world life of Chelsea Roffey and what she gets up to in her spare time.

Sounds awesome. As long as there is lots of footage of slim white men in their late 20s and early 30s running backwards and probably cycling to work, I'll be there.

Definitely. You may need to push the release date out even further to protect what the clubs might feel is valuable IP in relation to strategies for list management, priorities for drafting/trading, negotiation approaches etc. Maybe 3-4 years?

Either way, I'd definitely tune in for that. The thing that interests me most about the dogs is how Dalrymple and McCartney go about this, how much involvement is there from coaches/others etc .

Would be great viewing I reckon.

The choosing few?

Definitely. You may need to push the release date out even further to protect what the clubs might feel is valuable IP in relation to strategies for list management, priorities for drafting/trading, negotiation approaches etc. Maybe 3-4 years?

Either way, I'd definitely tune in for that. The thing that interests me most about the dogs is how Dalrymple and McCartney go about this, how much involvement is there from coaches/others etc .

Imagine SOS in the war room for Carlton talking about picking off all the GWS guys while also trying to get deals for Yarran and Henderson done? Or the Dogs making their move on Tom Boyd? Or the Saints weighing up the value of pick 1 last year?

Then get the Essendon and St Kilda tables on draft night as Carlton read out Boekhorst's name.

Would be amazing stuff I think.

If Emma Quayle can get to the inner circle of clubs for her book, surely these guys can get cameras in there too?

Would imagine the plates of guys like Jobe Watson and Taylor Walker would have also been a bit full? :)

It's a shame he didn't take part because he's one of the more interesting captains in the league in a sense that we have little insight to him as a captain and his club is riddled with discipline issues.
Unfair to include Tex. He started the year perfectly normally. Had no idea what was to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back