The collective angst

Remove this Banner Ad

The collective angst of all of those 29 year + on our list (outside of Boomer) who have been great servants...but wont realise the great dream.

I was kind of hoping for a line in the sand game like the Cats in 2007....last year...this year...and probably most likely after the Pies loss....but I have come to the sad realisation that we just aren't in that league of Cats 2007.... :cry:....we would be lucky to carry their handbags....so all the finger pointing wont do much if we just haven't got it....

I saw this and thought the exact same thing. They kind of did the same thing last night. Robbo called us an embarrassment, said we leave our hearts at home when playing away, basically called us frauds then was about to get stuck into our midfield, but then said move on, like he couldn't be bothered wasting anymore breath on us.

...well hope he also did the same for his pathetic excuse of a Club...*...or just continue to be in denial?

Yep. Can't argue that but when the coach accepts the mediocrity... It adds more salt to the wounds. 6 years and we are still yet to become a powerhouse. I guess we will have to wait another 15 years...

Edit: we don't have the personnel to line up for a premiership. Unless we tank, we don't have a chance. Unfortunately it seems like 2014 was our last opportunity. Depressing.

I really hate the thought of our great club tanking like most other clubs do, it is what sets us apart from the rest.

2010. We lost to St.Kilda by a 100 points in round 2. With relatively the same side that beat them 3 games prior.
It was our biggest loss to the Saints ever. After the game the loss was deemed allowable on the basis that the team was building and there were no expectations on us.

2011. We got pumped by Collingwood at the G. I was bereft of confidence after this game but once again I was told to shut up because the team would come good. This was 4 years ago mind you. We made Swallow Captain end of the year to signify a new era.

2012. We got pumped in Tasmania by Hawthorn. The wake up call that was needed apparently. The previous two years beltings were deemed acceptable and this was meant to be the last one. Or so it seemed. This loss clicked us into gear before we got belted in Perth in that final. False dawn. We extended the coaches contract.

2013. 8 losses by under 16 points. Three capitulations against Adelaide, West Coast and Brisbane. Cost us a finals spot by a game. One game. Though the signs were there. Team was playing with flair. It was bareable. Bigger and better things to come.

2014. We got Dal Santo. Gavin Brown. Leigh Tudor. Cameron Ling. 2014 was the year wed solidify ourselves as a contender. Round 1 we were pantsed by the Essendon. Final warning North. FINAL WARNING. And it worked. Sorta. Beat Port. Beat the Swans. Beat Freo. Maybe. Just maybe wed turn the corner. Lost to Collingwood. Lost to Gold Coast. Lost to Adelaide. Lost to Brisbane. Lost to Carlton. Enough North we screamed. And yes we earnt a home final stringing 6 wins together to finish off the year and got 2 finals wins out of the process. Thumped in the prelim but we'll be better for it. Right. For all the backward steps we made large gains. Finished top 4. We would be the hunted now.

Enter 2015. Enter Jarred Waite. Enter Shaun Higgins. Enter round 1. 77 point loss to Adelaide. We all knew it was over during this game. Lets not kid ourselves. Fast forward 3 months to the bye. Playing bottom with finals on the line. The unloseable game. Surely we couldnt? We joked wed shut the doors if we lost this. 55 point drubbing. The weekend match was the straw the broke the camals back. It wasnt rage, or anger or highly emotive outbursts. It was the realisation that after 6 years nothing would become of this team and that itll be a much longer wait until we see further success. This is why it is different to 2006 and 2007 and 2009. We were sold a fraud. It was all a waste of time. Every resource under the sun and it was pissed away time and time again.

And you know what was the problem going back all the way to round 2, 2010. Fear of failure. There was none. No one was dropped after that Saints game. Just like no one was dropped in round 1 in Adelaide.
I lay the blame on one person and one person only. To be quite honest I dont see how the coaching position can continue to be tenable. If a thorough self-examination were done ala Dean on himself in 2009, the signs are clear. To use the term 'performance appraisal' I see majority fails across the board. Thats what the team has been simply. A fail. You dont get to sit the same exam twice folks. Just remember that.
In the tune of B52's loveshack

Oh we see an ageing side and we're at a fork in the road
but no need to fret because this week braaaaaad's BACK!

Brads back yeah-oh-yeah..

We're heading down the ladder the wrong wayyyyy
not looking for that prelim that got away (that prelim got away..)

I got me a Waite that's as slow as a snail but play him anyway now br-ad-ad-ads back
I got me a unicorn that seats about 20 so hurry up and bring your membership money

The finals are gone but brads hanging on to keep this squad together
Brads back, baby (a-Brads back baby)
Brads back, baby, Brads back

Crocks says - everything's cool cause hugs rule when br-ad-ad-ads back
Well it started way back when brad had a crack at flying the flag as just being crap
Glitter on the playing group
Glitter on the spirit yeah
Glitter on the guernsey
Glitter on the spirit

Brads back from his back attack so we should head to Etihad and get together
Brads back, baby (Brads back, baby)
Brads back, that's where it's at

Both of these posts are beyond exceptional.

I honestly don't know whether we are a premiership quality team with a coach that isn't up to it, or we have a great coach but a list that isn't up to it.

Oh well I'm going to take the $2 on us making the 8 and just hope for the best.

One thing for sure, if we start 2016 with the same list and same coaching staff, we will need to hire full time psychiatrists for the membership department. Because Horace is right, this is the worst collective feeling ever.

In the tune of B52's loveshack

Oh we see an ageing side and we're at a fork in the road
but no need to fret because this week braaaaaad's BACK!

Brads back yeah-oh-yeah..

We're heading down the ladder the wrong wayyyyy
not looking for that prelim that got away (that prelim got away..)

I got me a Waite that's as slow as a snail but play him anyway now br-ad-ad-ads back
I got me a unicorn that seats about 20 so hurry up and bring your membership money

The finals are gone but brads hanging on to keep this squad together
Brads back, baby (a-Brads back baby)

Crocks says - everything's cool cause hugs rule when br-ad-ad-ads back
Well it started way back when brad had a crack at flying the flag as just being crap
Glitter on the playing group
Glitter on the spirit yeah
Glitter on the guernsey
Glitter on the spirit

Brads back from his back attack so we should head to Etihad and get together
Brads back, baby (Brads back, baby)

Crock lobster!

I agree with the above if we could of had two years of shitness that would of given us a couple more top ten draft picks and we would be vastly different than now. Honestly trade out big time this year for a couple of draft picks and away we go...
Problem is that North would never tank or take risks with its players by trading them or whatever. We seem to milk everything they have and delist them.

Indeed we have to clean out our side and rebuild. Start from the bottom and work your way to the top. But like I said, that's not the North way. We are apparently too loyal to our supporters to do such a thing. We are also terrible at developing as well. Who was responsible for drafting flankers and trying to turn them into midfielders? :confused:

I really hate the thought of our great club tanking like most other clubs do, it is what sets us apart from the rest.
I also hate how the players have no fear of failure and accept mediocrity like the coach does. Time to clean out the list and start from the bottom. No more middle table lists or half decent players. We work our way to the top with priority picks.

I don't think on this board in the 14 years I have been hereabouts that I have ever before witnessed a greater sense of angst, disappointment and resignation to the on field plight of our club, than I am seeing now. I haven't seen a post that even tries to mount a "case for the defense" of the performance of the Club on the weekend.

I hope that this "sense", somehow finds its way to all involved at the club, and motivates them to strive to do something about it, because otherwise I think we are in for some dark times ahead.

The opposite of love is not hate; it is apathy.

When the Carey episode erupted it was more a case of solemn acceptance (and shock). When were flogged in finals over the last decade (too many to mention) and the Round 22 flogging against Port there was anger. It was either that Port game or when we were a kick away from our lowest ever score against Adelaide I was at my angriest. Fortunately the coach had the good grace to pull up stumps mid-season.

Right now I am apathetic. Maybe it's because football is not as important. Maybe it's because I've changed. Maybe it's because I'm just too busy for it.

Or perhaps I'm apathetic because I know this group is not going to improve without SIGNIFICANT CHANGES in personnel at the club. And those at the club are afraid of making such changes. It probably requires both a change in players and coaching staff but I'm most disappointed with the playing group.

When I think of our playing group I see the team version of Colin Sylvia: talented, lazy, inconsistent, undisciplined and a total head case that can't stand up to pressure. They have the ability to tear apart a game yet in the same breath know they can disappear at the drop of a hat.

AND I HATE THAT. Because it has little to do with talent. Almost 50% of what differentiates professional sportsmen is what happens between the ears. This is where we fall down badly, and I don't believe the coach/match committee have performed an acceptable job in enforcing playing standards. Guys are "backed in" knowing that so as long as they don't string two bad games in a row you'll still get a game.

Hard calls need to be made at the end of the year. Perhaps we offer our captain up in a trade to the Suns. Perhaps we decide to "retire" Boomer or Dish. Perhaps we move on other best 22 players against their wishes. Perhaps we even change the coaching personnel.

I'm a "glass half full" and "always look on the bright side of life" kind of guy but I've lost faith in this group. The glass (trust) is well and truly empty.

So Horace you may be right that angst is at its highest in 14 years. But I'd contend what is worrying is that apathy is at its highest. Many have become numb knowing that this playing group is the group that will let you down when it matters - consistently, predictably and painfully.

The team can play out of their skin and win the Geelong game but I'll still feel they will let me down again. It's only a matter of time. And I hate that.

Last edited:
Very depressing point right now.
Still 2006 was the worst and only time I stopped watching the team in over 40 years of supporting the Roos.
I think that Scott first mistake was not to have a massive clean out of the list when he arrived. Scott seems very supportive and willing to place a lot of faith in the same group week after week. I doubt Clarkson would accept almost good enough.
By my count during the time Laidley was in change we drafted approximately 60 players with only 9 of them having any impact on the field and many of them bit players at best. Not sure who was making the recruiting calls during this time but altogether a very poor period and one that haunts us today.
Several things really worry me about Brad Scott as a coach. The fact that player development seems stunted, game plans seems one dimensional, the obvious lack of on field leadership and none of the hardness the Scott himself displayed as a player has translated to any of our team.
Really think a new coach is required to take us forward.

...well hope he also did the same for his pathetic excuse of a Club...*...or just continue to be in denial?

I saw it too Gaso and had the same reaction as the other posters. They just didn't care about us. We're in danger of becoming irrelevant.

As for his pathetic excuse of a Club, they're pathetic but they're not irrelevant.

Sadly, I don't know which is worse. However, I do know it would not be good to be both!

As far as player / coach / FD discussions go, this would have to be one of the most unified and considered threads I've read in my 6 years or so on BF.

Every post I wanted to respond in agreeance with (almost all) already received a like-minded response, beating me to the punch.

This board has always provided plenty of opposing opinions, which of course is healthy and helps keeps us all in check. To this point, week to week hindsight has trained us to think that our losses were never as bad, and our wins never as good as we thought. Those of either the half full / half empty corner never had to wait more than a few games to get on their soapbox and bleat vindication.

It seems though that even the most ardent optimists are now in unison with the growing sentiment that maybe, that's turned out to be a big part of the problem.

The 'back em in' style selection policy has backfired and inadvertently created a team full of players that, subconsciously, KNOW they don't have to play as close to their edge as they should to keep their spot. Factor that out by as many non-elite players we have on our list and presto... An entire team devoid of killer instinct.

Glenn Archer played 300+ games spurred on by the abject fear of failure. I'm not sure we have a single player motivated the same way.

Surely our club will now see that we've come far enough down this path to realise it ain't taking us to the destination we hoped. The decision now is whether we cut across the forest to reach the other path, or head all the way back to the fork and start again. The longer we take to make either decision the longer we wait to get to our destination.

A player cull, a coaching overhaul, a FD reshuffle or all of the above in some form or another, please just do SOMETHING!

PS - can someone seriously send Tazza's post to Geoff Walsh and JB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think on this board in the 14 years I have been hereabouts that I have ever before witnessed a greater sense of angst, disappointment and resignation to the on field plight of our club, than I am seeing now. I haven't seen a post that even tries to mount a "case for the defense" of the performance of the Club on the weekend.

To be fair to the footy department, I think....

No, I got nothing.

I lay the blame on one person and one person only. To be quite honest I dont see how the coaching position can continue to be tenable. If a thorough self-examination were done ala Dean on himself in 2009, the signs are clear.

Gerard Whately just said on AFL 360 that Hird's position will be untenable at season's end because that club* has decided to rebuild in the last year of a coach's* contract. He likened it to Malthouse at Carlton this year. It's an impossible situation. Robbo disputed this, but then he would, wouldn't he? Being Hird's cheer leader and all.

Anyhow, Brad Scotts finds himself in exactly the same situation. Next year is the last year of his contract and if we accept that we are not contesting the premiership with the current list, his position is untenable. He will be coaching for a new contract and playing veterans to save his arse rather than blooding kids for the future.

Gerard Whately just said on AFL 360 that Hird's position will be untenable at season's end because that club* has decided to rebuild in the last year of a coach's* contract. He likened it to Malthouse at Carlton this year. It's an impossible situation. Robbo disputed this, but then he would, wouldn't he? Being Hird's cheer leader and all.

Anyhow, Brad Scotts finds himself in exactly the same situation. Next year is the last year of his contract and if we accept that we are not contesting the premiership with the current list, his position is untenable. He will be coaching for a new contract and playing veterans to save his arse rather than blooding kids for the future.
To take an unbiased approach and try make meaning of how weve come to be in this position, lets look at previous examples of teams who took on new caches.
Malthouse took Collingwood to a flag in his 11th year. He also got them to a granny in his 3rd. And missed the finals three times in 12 years. Thats a pretty decent record and one to argue hard against.
Brads best finish in 5 and a half years is a prelim hammering. We also at this stage will only have played 2 finals series in that period. 2 out of 6 years.
Bomber Thompson at Geelong. Too him 8 years to win a flag. Got the Cats to a prelim in his 5th year where they lost by 9 points. Were agonisingly kicked out of the 2005 finals by a flukey small forward also. Eventually the talented list at his disposal matured and became one of the greatest in the modern era.

Brads inferior record till now is concerning. The talent is there. It has not been developed nor nurtured. At no stage in his tenure as coach has the team showed its true credentials as a contender.
The basic fundamental errors that were prevalent in 2010 are still there today.
You can work on it, analyse it, review it, word it anyway you want- but what is clear is the players do not listen.

This playing group has grown stale with its bosses and the only reason they continue to remain at the club is because their employers are guaranteeing them a job, regardless of performance. Why did Levi leave? He wasnt a favourite. Its a disaster. Change has to happen.

I stated in another thread that in all the time I've been supporting North Melbourne, which is closing in on 40 years, I have never been as disappointed with the team as I was on Saturday Night. Our players were spineless, pathetic and embarrassing to watch and that should be unacceptable to every one of them.

To lose the way we did against a club that had only won one game in the first half of the season and had been fairly uncompetitive in numerous others was insipid. Back in 1993 when we lost in similar fashion the club took the aggressive and proactive step of replacing the coach. The fact that Brad Scott wasn't the coach on the weekend will probably save him, but I think it is time that the board seriously consider a new voice and a new message.

I stated in another thread that in all the time I've been supporting North Melbourne, which is closing in on 40 years, I have never been as disappointed with the team as I was on Saturday Night. Our players were spineless, pathetic and embarrassing to watch and that should be unacceptable to every one of them.

In b4 TLDR...

Being a Gen Y'er, but just old enough to remember the floggings for a few years prior to Pagan hopping on board and enjoying the rest of the dream that was the 90's. Despite seeing the up's and downs of the noughties during the Laidley Years, accepted that premierships are hard to come by and that eventually the tide will turn for us. As it turned out JYD didn't work for us and there was a few smattering of a beltings amongst that period, but nothing that made you think 'f*** we're in deep s**t here' And looking back, despite the fact he wasn't up to it, Dean did very well on the smell of an oily rag and an Admin that were as transparent as a puddle of horseshit.

Fast forward to 2015, and while we may have long shelved the defensive unattractive football we pulled our remaining hairs over under Deano's leadership, the skill standard is still no better, and looking at last Saturday, it's probably been the worst it's been for over 25 years.

Now I fully accept that having not ever played footy at any notable level, im not the most educated person on advising how to deal with the conduct of an entire football club, but there has been enough repeat of poor performances and fluctuating form over a 6 year period to indicate that the football department as a whole are clearly not the best suited take this list any further than they have to this point.

Jim Bob has a chance to leave a lasting legacy on the club and not undo the marvelous work he has done thus far, and if he isn't going to be around medium to long term, now is the perfect opportunity to phase in new blood at board level and bring in a new vision from next year onwards from a FD perspective.

Now to the present, and after the Richmond game I tried to unhinge from the expectation that we are a genuine top side and that we're the 'same inconsistent North' (having no negative reaction to the Pies capitulation) but seeing every minute of that game on Sunday, I had a burning anger in my stomach I was literally ill.

It is a complete and utter indictment on the entire club that, that it has almost brought on as much if not more angst and dread, prior to that rush of relief on that fateful day at DBH in 2007.

A culmination of indifference.

I fear the board will reflect the players and FD themselves, and not give a s**t as we slide further into football purgatory under the guise of 'We know where we are heading we just have to figure out how to get there'

Well guess what, if the Taxi driver has taken 6 years and you haven't reached your destination, probably better to pay him his fare, and f*** off back home and start again.

Nothing. Because we wont.
Either that or you back them every game doubled up and shout us all on a nice holiday in the off season.

The real question I'm asking is what result from here would shore up Brads position and get most supporters behind him and the current team? Would it be simply just making the eight and playing one final being beaten or would it be storming home and making a statement? Or (as most of us here seem to be in concert) regardless of where we end up, stick a fork in them and move on? Me personally I would like to a scenario whereby wherever we end up this year the Board clears the decks re coaches, does a partial rebuild and puts the focus on a premiership within the next 3yrs:mad:

The real question I'm asking is what result from here would shore up Brads position and get most supporters behind him and the current team? Would it be simply just making the eight and playing one final being beaten or would it be storming home and making a statement? Or (as most of us here seem to be in concert) regardless of where we end up, stick a fork in them and move on? Me personally I would like to a scenario whereby wherever we end up this year the Board clears the decks re coaches, does a partial rebuild and puts the focus on a premiership within the next 3yrs:mad:

Brad still has his job to lose

I liked the three towers when it was Drew, Tarrant and Hansen/Black they would kick 7 between them each week, but it does not work with Drew, Waite and Brown/Daw/Black. Brad is either too single minded on what he thinks will work or is just pigheaded stubborn beyond belief.

I want to also see development in some of the kids, that will mean some of the older brigade that wont be there next year or the year after slowly step aside and be back-up if needed through injury. Micky/Gibson/Grima(injured)/McMahon/Drew/Waite I am looking at you. Wells/NDS/Harvey are exempt from this as I want to see other clubs try to tag all three, like I was promised.

I want to know if Daw/Harper/McKenzie/Mullett/Atley/Jacobs/Wood/Garner/Turner are duds or the real deal, and the only way to find that out is to play them, and for more then 60 minutes

Brad needs to re-invent himself, I think he could be a very good coach, but at the moment he has dug himself a very big hole with his unbridled faith/loyalty in a select few, if he continues with some of his ideas he is on a hiding to nothing.

and just drop Gibson FFS and send Drew to CHB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back