Prediction The Doig- Congrats to Sandi

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the last time Pav didn't finish top 10
Edit: last year:oops:
Probably didnt do too well in 2013 either due to that injury
Ibbo must be very very stiff not to even get top 10!
Ibbo was very stiff, probably our best backman all year (Macca just misses because too many missed games + no finals and Johnno too many missed games)

Would have tipped Mundy. Thought he had the most consistent year. 211 played every game (except PA game), so he was always going to poll high. Well done to him.

He's become such a force now, and with a system that actually knows what it's meant to be doing (thanks Ross), we're seeing just how dominating he can be. He'd have even more influence if the umps actually called frees for him according to the actual rules. He would be near a goal a game better I reckon.

Anyway, congrats Sandi and all the boys on a good (though not ultimately great) year.

On Grand Final day, Fremantle senior coach Ross Lyon was watching the game and a text arrived on his phone.

It was from Brownlow Medallist Nat Fyfe.

The star midfielder and a number of team mates were together watching the biggest game of the year, a week after the club’s season ended with a Preliminary Final loss to premiers Hawthorn.

Lyon shared the inspirational text with the club faithful at the 2015 Doig Medal Count at Crown Perth on Saturday night.

“As a coach you are looking for inspiration green shoots and I’ll share this with you,” he said.

“I was sitting there watching the Grand Final.

“I was a bit flat but a text came through from Nathan.

“The text came through and it was inspirational.”

Lyon said Fyfe and other players were watching the game and compiled five areas the club could improve, after watching premiers Hawthorn in action.

Fyfe had sent the photo to Lyon, letting him know the side is focussed on getting better in 2016.

“There was a whiteboard sitting on the bucket,” he said.

"They had sat there, they weren’t wallowing in their misery, they were anaylysing Hawthorn’s game style.

"They had identified five aspects they thought were pertinent to us.

“It blew me away."

Lyon said he replied and told the players it was inspiring that they were looking to improve.

He said while the season had ended short of its main goal, the side would return next year and begin its journey again.

“I spoke to the players this morning, we are all disappointed we didn’t achieve what we wanted to,” he said.

“Ultimately, we fell short in execution.

“Our aim is to write our story.

“We will start again in the pre-season.”
That gave me goosebumps.. Could have easily avoided watching the team across the road in the GF and gone to Bali or whatever . But that shows desire and commitment. Wow

Mundy bit unlucky not to win it after career best year.

Though the big man more than deserving!

Doig Medal top 10
1. Aaron Sandilands 282
2. David Mundy 277
3. Stephen Hill 261
4. Nathan Fyfe 260
5. Michael Walters 244
6. Lachie Neale 239
7. Lee Spurr 223
8. Danyle Pearce 217
9. Chris Mayne 202
10. Luke McPharlin 198

I find it really interesting that two of this board's favourite whipping boys have made the top 10 by coaches' reckoning. Mayne, who everyone wants to shaft, and Danyle, who has been a (Bigfooty) surprise for the second year in a row.

Ibbo really stiff, expected a better showing for him.

No Barlow tells me that he's struggling to adjust to the role he was given this year, and is certainly on the outer with the bosses. I am still baffled at why we aren't playing him at the coal face, which is his best position. Lachie is playing his old role, I think, and is a gun, but I think they're both ball magnets that aren't overly quick and need a bit of polish. Lachie is the future though, so maybe it's to fast track his development?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know who won the Beacon and Clubman awards? I can't seem to find that information anywhere...

An Ode to a Buddy,
Always a gentle giant. Once a quiet achiever.
The recognition won't sit comfortably but bask for a moment big fella.
Long before you palmed it perfectly to Stephen Hill, you parted the seas for a Waltzing Morabito.
Amongst the stars Stevie Johnson saw after that bump, your's shone most brightly.
Always there for your mates, Paul Puopolo's trousers can't bear to be in the same suburb as you.
Nobody makes a helmet look cool like you do.
Unlike Bruce, you could never win a Brownlow. They broke the mould and there will only ever be one 211.
Love you and your work Big Fella.

I find it really interesting that two of this board's favourite whipping boys have made the top 10 by coaches' reckoning. Mayne, who everyone wants to shaft, and Danyle, who has been a (Bigfooty) surprise for the second year in a row.
I find it interesting too. Says a lot about the coaching staff if they are happy with their performance. Is it part of the reason we continue to fall short of the mark?

I find it interesting too. Says a lot about the coaching staff if they are happy with their performance. Is it part of the reason we continue to fall short of the mark?

Choice A: coaching staff are happy wth mediocre performance, and we fail as a result.

Choice B: keyboard warriors are reactionary, have goldfish memories, play favourites, and show confirmation bias.

I think I'll take Choice B.

Doig Medal top 10
1. Aaron Sandilands 282
2. David Mundy 277
3. Stephen Hill 261
4. Nathan Fyfe 260
5. Michael Walters 244
6. Lachie Neale 239
7. Lee Spurr 223
8. Danyle Pearce 217
9. Chris Mayne 202
10. Luke McPharlin 198

Wow Luke injured still top 10.
8. Ballas injured this season
9. Johnson injured this season
Barlow maybe play out of position.

Choice A: coaching staff are happy wth mediocre performance, and we fail as a result.

Choice B: keyboard warriors are reactionary, have goldfish memories, play favourites, and show confirmation bias.

I think I'll take Choice B.

Nah, I don't think so.

Mayne and Pearce didn't have great seasons but were still able to poll enough to finish top ten shows that we lack depth of quality. Something I think we're fully aware of and are trying to fix this trade period.

The voting system is clearly flawed. Fyfe's 9 or 10 BOG games should earn him more votes than a role player playing his role adequately in 9 or 10 games, but in this system they are both rewarded relatively equally.

Players are rewarded more for bring on the park for 22 games than they should be. Fyfe's 2015 season is one of the greatest played by a Docker, and should have been rewarded.

Well done to Sandilands though, Also had a terrific year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back