The Ed Question

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Be interested to hear the thoughts of Pies supporters.

Eddie has now been in his role for over 15 years... at what point does the question of succession get raised?

It's nothing to do with his performance - he's done an amazing job, taken Collingwood to an extremely strong financial position, they're probably the biggest club brand in Australia, he's presided over at least seven straight years of finals football and delivered a flag after a 20 year drought.

I think Eddie himself and his supporters would probably like him to be president for life - that's ok, that's one view, but I think it's become more widely accepted in modern times that having one person at the head of any organisation for too long is not always the best thing.

Eddie being such a hands-on operator and forceful personality exacerbates this I think.

Collingwood now is very different to the club he took over - he's taken it from basket case to powerhouse in all areas. It's now in a different phase. At would point would the club perhaps benefit from a fresh regime with new ideas? I'm not talking about a hostile battle and takeover, but a smooth regime to the next chapter. I'm sure Eddie would remain as Australia's most visible Collingwood supporter.

Is it time this question was asked?

There have been bumps though. Largely the coaching handover, I'm not talking about whether that was a success or a failure, more is it healthy for such a significant football department decision to seemingly be so heavily influenced by the President?

For the Hawks, Jeff Kennett introduced some amendments to the constitution regarding tenure on the board, including that of the President. Whilst I'm happy that Kennett is gone (even though I believe he did a great job) we have also lost some quality board members due to this and for mine, if they are doing the job well and have the board and members behind them then I don't see the need to move them on.

Bulldog supporters may have a different perspective as they had a long serving President.

there will be no plans for eddie to step aside.
not many other people in Australia has the same power & influence as what Eddie does
who else has the power to reem the tax payer to fund the westpac center?

Why would you want to move him on? He has more say in the running of the AFL than anyone bar McLachlan.

As much as I hate him if he was in charge of my club I'd want him there until he's a corpse.

CEO's run a football club, not presidents. If you were to give it a political analogy, CEO is the Prime Minister, President is the Governor-General. Board and President just rubber stamp the decisions made by the CEO.

The Brian Cook, Gary Pert & Andrew Ireland's of this world run their football clubs, not their presidents. It's a figure head position.

No need right now for him to move on, but surely the club has candidates for the next President position. Not having something in place or at least in mind could be disastrous if Eddie in incapable of running the club for whatever reason (sickness/death/jail/plastic surgery mishap).
He has enough runs on the board that he can step down when he chooses I think.

CEO's run a football club, not presidents. If you were to give it a political analogy, CEO is the Prime Minister, President is the Governor-General. Board and President just rubber stamp the decisions made by the CEO.

The Brian Cook, Gary Pert & Andrew Ireland's of this world run their football clubs, not their presidents. It's a figure head position.
if a GG talked as much political s**t and about other "governments" as much as Ed does they would be out on their arse pretty darn quickly!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lawl

If you think the property steward changes his bloody brand of detergent at Collingwood without Eddies approval, you're wrong.

Lawl

If you think the property steward changes his bloody brand of detergent at Collingwood without Eddies approval, you're wrong.

You maybe have a warped way of how football clubs are structured based on your own clubs dysfunctional corporate structure. If you want to understand the role of a club president, read Andrew Pridham's recent interview with Sam Lane.

a glimpse into the future, 20 years from now and not much has changed at the Virgin Galactic Centre

BtwmI3CCYAA33oe.jpg

There is a big difference between football clubs with elected officials and company boards where everyone spends most of their time inflicting a snow job on their shareholders.... in the latter case, its almost impossible to leverage the self-serving bastards out of office..

Be interested to hear the thoughts of Pies supporters.

Eddie has now been in his role for over 15 years... at what point does the question of succession get raised?

It's nothing to do with his performance - he's done an amazing job, taken Collingwood to an extremely strong financial position, they're probably the biggest club brand in Australia, he's presided over at least seven straight years of finals football and delivered a flag after a 20 year drought.

I think Eddie himself and his supporters would probably like him to be president for life - that's ok, that's one view, but I think it's become more widely accepted in modern times that having one person at the head of any organisation for too long is not always the best thing.

Eddie being such a hands-on operator and forceful personality exacerbates this I think.

Collingwood now is very different to the club he took over - he's taken it from basket case to powerhouse in all areas. It's now in a different phase. At would point would the club perhaps benefit from a fresh regime with new ideas? I'm not talking about a hostile battle and takeover, but a smooth regime to the next chapter. I'm sure Eddie would remain as Australia's most visible Collingwood supporter.

Is it time this question was asked?

Mark Robinson has become bigger than Ed on TV. When are Essendon going to move him on from AFL 360?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back