Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And this is the very reason why the case will be substantially dismissed. The end result will essentially be the same regardless of the means used and courts are always reluctant to contradict legislative law when an Act stipulates certain powers.

Powers that ASADA can use to achieve the same end result

Middleton stated about 100 times in the case that even if he deemed the investigation illegal he was nlikely to rule the evidence gathered unusable, as the AFL maintains the power to force Essendon to answer questions, and ASADA maintains the power to seize those answers from the AFL. Therefore if it was ruled illegal the AFL would just call in Essendon again and ASADA woudl seize the transcripts and it will basically be a big waste of everyones time, and the court will not do that.

if they do deem it illegal - which they won't, the evidence will still be allowed to be used, and the ball will go rolling straight away as ASADA come down hard.
I admire your confidence Flowers, wish I shared it. I think there is a scenario where the evidence will be dropped into a disused mine shaft and covered in several thousand cubic metres of cement, as Essendon and Hird are attempting to force.
Which is only slightly less disgraceful in my view than the players walking away with backdated bans and into a full preseason as if nothing had happened, with King James happily re-installed on his throne.

I admire your confidence Flowers, wish I shared it. I think there is a scenario where the evidence will be dropped into a disused mine shaft and covered in several thousand cubic metres of cement, as Essendon and Hird are attempting to force.
Which is only slightly less disgraceful in my view than the players walking away with backdated bans and into a full preseason as if nothing had happened, with King James happily re-installed on his throne.
Is that based on any understanding of the law or just pessimism about the AFL's continual attempts to cover this up?

Because I cant see any legal basis for Middleton to bar ASADA from the use of the evidence they collected

Is that based on any understanding of the law or just pessimism about the AFL's continual attempts to cover this up?

Because I cant see any legal basis for Middleton to bar ASADA from the use of the evidence they collected
Based on my understanding of the legal opinions offered by legal types on the HTB, for what that is worth. I am not a lawyer.

not trying to dodge a bullet, but I saw it amongst all the Bummers reported stuff when they were copping the most heat......in the Age probably, but because there was so much focus on them it went straight through to the keeper !!! It actually said something like this........."it is believed that at least 3 other clubs have already trialled these sorts of supplements on their players but had stopped it for fear of getting caught"........now I am only telling you what I read, so do not shoot the messenger!!! The only thing that went through my head was that I hoped that Carlton had not been one of them !!! Maybe it was just a good dream.............I will just blame EDDIE, maybe he got in my head that day !!!

The only speculation around at the time was that Essendon believed other clubs were pushing the boundaries. They mentioned Collingwood and I think Hawthorn in text messages. That was their justification for launching their own close to the line program. It's unusable speculation. Certainly nothing to suggest any clubs were giving their whole list large numbers of injections that they hadn't seen before and nothing to suggest that those players wouldn't have questioned it if it was happening.

I don't like the was ASADA is dealing with the Cronnulla case - give three months to all the stars still playing, but give two years to the retired guys and blokes over seas.

I sincerely hope that this does not happen with Essendon - but the cases are different in both their length and type of injections so hopefully the cheats are properly punished

I don't like the was ASADA is dealing with the Cronnulla case - give three months to all the stars still playing, but give two years to the retired guys and blokes over seas.

I sincerely hope that this does not happen with Essendon - but the cases are different in both their length and type of injections so hopefully the cheats are properly punished
I think it shows that Essendon are not necessarily going to get the same get out of gaol free card that most of the NRL players got. But by tomorrow night it may be a moot point anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that Essendon have no chance of winning is completely wrong. There is a real prospect that the judge agrees with them and Middleton's closing remarks suggest he was taking their position seriously. They're by no means favourites but they are far from beaten.

Of course, the unknown is where them winning takes us and what it means for the investigation.

The idea that Essendon have no chance of winning is completely wrong. There is a real prospect that the judge agrees with them and Middleton's closing remarks suggest he was taking their position seriously. They're by no means favourites but they are far from beaten.

Of course, the unknown is where them winning takes us and what it means for the investigation.
Its only a real win for essendon if the evidence is completely dismissed, and is unable to be re-retrieved.

Hird has plans to sue ASADA and the AFL for damages.

In the case that Essendon and Hird have persuaded Justice John Middleton that ASADA's investigation into the Bombers last year was unlawful, and should be rendered invalid, Fairfax understands the next legal avenue Hird and his advisers would explore is suing the AFL and ASADA for conspiracy by unlawful means.

The premise for the claim would be that the AFL and ASADA, working in tandem, made Hird a scapegoat in their investigations, and that ASADA knew the outcomes that the AFL wanted to achieve regarding the sanctioning of Essendon's senior coach.

Didn't the ASADA lawyer state during the trial that Hird may be crying "conspiracy"? His reputation is already shot, must be that hair seeping into his brain. Or whatever he injected himself with.

Today is it Footy Lovers, we find out if our great code is able to hold cheats to account for their actions or if using legal technicalities and crying foul over process is more important.

Still confused why EssADA* is challenging how they got caught rather than their innocence, I hope the excuses for their behaviour end today.

Today is it Footy Lovers, we find out if our great code is able to hold cheats to account for their actions or if using legal technicalities and crying foul over process is more important.

Still confused why EssADA* is challenging how they got caught rather than their innocence, I hope the excuses for their behaviour end today.

Im confused, whats happening today?

Sorry I havnt been following much of the asada essendon business lately =/

Im confused, whats happening today?

Sorry I havnt been following much of the asada essendon business lately =/

It's regarding Essendon's* challenge of the AFL-ASADA investigation. Basically, the Judge is to hand down his findings as to whether the joint investigation was kosher or not.

It's a protracted sideshow really, a desperate roll of the dice by EFC* to try to have the case thrown out on a technicality.

It's regarding Essendon's* challenge of the AFL-ASADA investigation. Basically, the Judge is to hand down his findings as to whether the joint investigation was kosher or not.

It's a protracted sideshow really, a desperate roll of the dice by EFC* to try to have the case thrown out on a technicality.
they will roll again if they lose Biggus. Appeal is a sure thing. But they are no certainty to lose I am afraid.

Plenty of legs left in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back