Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the Bummers just like all blues fans, but the supplements were forced on him and the other players at Ess by "Mr in-denial" Hird !!! They had to go along with it because their club made them.....but that does not make them druggies or bad dudes and it`s why some of them want out now !!! Hird should have been banned for life not 12 months !!!
hA852964F

Sorry if this has been answered but if the judge rules that ASADA went about this illegally do Ess get off with out any consequences ?
It depends on whether he also says the evidence gathered was inadmissible, and then if he rules that it can not be regathered.

Then they get away with it and some are also speculating that they will have their governance penalties quashed and sue the AFL for damages.

It depends on whether he also says the evidence gathered was inadmissible, and then if he rules that it can not be regathered.

Then they get away with it and some are also speculating that they will have their governance penalties quashed and sue the AFL for damages.
From what I understand, this is highly unlikely as he would be setting a new precedent in a way. As pointed out in the submissions, there is no reason the investigation couldn't be 'restarted' as soon as this matter in finished in the court and all evidence gathered again, even via the similar method - using the AFL's powers of coercion.

It's easy to say it in hindsight but at the time, when you believe that the medicos have your interest at heart first and foremost (not an unreasonable believe), it's absolutely no surprise that the playing group went along with it. Not sure how you can make the argument that they're culpable of anything more than naivety.

The club's administration is another story altogether.
Its a very easy and convincing argument to make but rather than me do it (again) go to the Hot Topic Board and you will find it in countless forms, many of them by very articulate, intelligent and informed posters. You will also find plenty of arguments agreeing with your line of thinking, virtually all of them from Essendon supporters.

Edit: Sorry guys, will not post on this topic here any more, pinky promise.

There were supposed to be 3 other clubs doing the same thing but did not come clean.......so it is possible !!!

There were? What is the basis for this claim?

Port would actually really suit Ryder

Swpping with Lobbe abd resting in the pocket with Schulz at full forward, allowing Westoff to roam the arcs as he likes to and taking pressure off of Wingard and Gray who rest forward.

I dont like how much it will improve them

(Well in two years anyway)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect Justice Middleton will dismiss the EFC's action whilst at the same time expressing some misgivings about the way the investigation was conducted. To find otherwise would serve to severely limit ASADA's ability to conduct team based investigations in the future. Middleton may also ponder the lack of clarity of ASADA's powers in relation to obtaining the information it needs from the likes of the AFL, NRL, FFA etc to enable it to conduct doping investigations.

I expect Justice Middleton will dismiss the EFC's action whilst at the same time expressing some misgivings about the way the investigation was conducted. To find otherwise would serve to severely limit ASADA's ability to conduct team based investigations in the future. Middleton may also ponder the lack of clarity of ASADA's powers in relation to obtaining the information it needs from the likes of the AFL, NRL, FFA etc to enable it to conduct doping investigations.

The whole thing confuses me.

Surely the AFL are backing ASADA on this aren't they, otherwise what was the point in hiring them.

Surely the AFL are backing ASADA on this aren't they, otherwise what was the point in hiring them.
The AFL have been having a bit each way. They wanted to be seen to be supporting ASADA in their efforts to weed out the drug cheats whilst at the same time trying to protect the AFL's interests by not having one of its big Victorian teams severely weakened by the loss of 3/4 of the playing list to suspension.

It may have been a much cleaner process if Demetriou wasn't involved in any shape or form.

The AFL have been having a bit each way. They wanted to be seen to be supporting ASADA in their efforts to weed out the drug cheats whilst at the same time trying to protect the AFL's interests by not having one of its big Victorian teams severely weakened by the loss of 3/4 of the playing list to suspension.

It may have been a much cleaner process if Demetriou wasn't involved in any shape or form.

I suppose it was almost a token effort from the AFL to hire ASADA, find the rogue player here or there, and hang them.

But for a club en masse to get done has totally compromised the AFL.

Back in the day, our lot were the kings of taking the AFL to court, simply because the league didn't have the dough or a constitution strong enough. Nowadays for a club to take on ASADA and essentially the league seems absurd.

I suppose it was almost a token effort from the AFL to hire ASADA, find the rogue player here or there, and hang them.

But for a club en masse to get done has totally compromised the AFL.

Back in the day, our lot were the kings of taking the AFL to court, simply because the league didn't have the dough or a constitution strong enough. Nowadays for a club to take on ASADA and essentially the league seems absurd.
It is St Jimmy*, not AbsHird, get it right!

Actually the AFL and the EFC's intrests are closely aligned. Any losses to the EFC will have to be covered by the AFL, and any damage to the EFC is also AFL's brand.

The AFL have every reason to protect Essendon (and have actively tried to do so from the very beginning, by tipping them off to the investigation, seeking deals with ASADA that no player gets suspended, and demanding ASADA had over the interim report). And thats the problem with the 'joint' nature of the investigation IMO.

As a hypothetical assume an employee of your buisiness stole all your customers personal records and deistrubuted them to the Russian Mafia. They were then investigated by the AFP.

You would have a vested intrest in having that employee smashed from pillar to post, but you also have a greater intrest in protecting the company from any fallout in the subsequent invetigation (and keeping the thing as quiet as you can).

While Essendon cop the worst out of this, the AFL are the ones that will ultimately be picking up the bill and having to clean the whole thing up.

The AFL were horribly conflicted in this, and ASADA should have kept them at more of an arms length during the investigation.

Be intresting to read the verdict once its reported on Friday.

Actually the AFL and the EFC's intrests are closely aligned. Any losses to the EFC will have to be covered by the AFL, and any damage to the EFC is also AFL's brand.

The AFL is a governing body with 18 board members (AFL clubs), now at the end of the year there is a dividend spread across the 18 clubs, now if 10 million is spent on legal costs, why would the other 17 clubs suffer on the annual payout??

The AFL is a governing body with 18 board members (AFL clubs), now at the end of the year there is a dividend spread across the 18 clubs, now if 10 million is spent on legal costs, why would the other 17 clubs suffer on the annual payout??

Who's going to prop Essendon up worst case scenario? Who loses from a perception that the AFL is not drug free, and sponsorship, community support and gate revenue drops?

This has cost the AFL plenty already.

I've heard it will be deemed an illegal investigation which means this will just drag on and on and on and on....
Middleton stated about 100 times in the case that even if he deemed the investigation illegal he was nlikely to rule the evidence gathered unusable, as the AFL maintains the power to force Essendon to answer questions, and ASADA maintains the power to seize those answers from the AFL. Therefore if it was ruled illegal the AFL would just call in Essendon again and ASADA woudl seize the transcripts and it will basically be a big waste of everyones time, and the court will not do that.

if they do deem it illegal - which they won't, the evidence will still be allowed to be used, and the ball will go rolling straight away as ASADA come down hard.

There were? What is the basis for this claim?
not trying to dodge a bullet, but I saw it amongst all the Bummers reported stuff when they were copping the most heat......in the Age probably, but because there was so much focus on them it went straight through to the keeper !!! It actually said something like this........."it is believed that at least 3 other clubs have already trialled these sorts of supplements on their players but had stopped it for fear of getting caught"........now I am only telling you what I read, so do not shoot the messenger!!! The only thing that went through my head was that I hoped that Carlton had not been one of them !!! Maybe it was just a good dream.............I will just blame EDDIE, maybe he got in my head that day !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back