List Mgmt. The future of McCarthy, & Tomlinson (opposition supporters welcome but tread carefully)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bogan Juniors

Club Legend
GWS Giants Team Board Tipping A Star Wars Fan
Feb 20, 2012
Orange
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Leicester City FC
With McCarthy looking to go To Freo and lots of interest in Tomlinson. What happens next year.

I think both will be on the trade table if they are still seeking a move, given the number of players that will be out of contract in 16 & 17 that will want to stay plus the need to decrease our cap and list to come into line with the rest of the league. In fact it would not surprise me if one of the main reasons they were not traded this year (apart from sending a message that we do not want to become a feeder club and contracts will be taken seriously) is that their trade value next year will be more valuable to us given we had enough points to cover the academy boys this year. and points will be needed for the next two drafts as there is already talk we have a lot of kids coming thru. The strategy of getting our academy boys into the team is now obvious and surely nobody would argue against that.

If Himmelberg come in and shows something and Stewart & Lobb continue to improve,we will have a few replacements for Cam, we will still try to get maximum value from Freo for him, which is fair enough but I don't think we will be as adamant he stays. Tomlinson is our teams Mr fixit and could also be seen as filling the role McCarthy plays (we cannot have our cake and eat it with this one), I'm still not sure what his role is other than that. If he cannot get a regular gig this year he will definitely go. All IMO etc

Thoughts?

True, I am assuming that the General has a full season and a good one at that....from what we have seen he should be a beast but a lot depends on his body.

Cam may also regret the apparent desperation to get to Freo.....He may have been able to command a lot more in future negotiations if his manager was not such a tool....Freo know they can probably lowball him now he has fired all his bullets. Unless he changes his mind of course, but I dont really see it happening

A lot of speculation of course but at this point both these boys have already shown their hand. I fully expect both to put in this season, they are after all professionals.

One of the things that's noticeable about some of our players is that they really haven't had to deal with being readily replaceable. Tommo strikes me as that. He well down the list of our best pure forwards and he does like playing back - where he's been of good use.

In 2016 he needs to find a spot and make it his own. Otherwise he will be open to offers to go back to Melbourne and we'll probably be able to say thanks and good luck.

WCE have better trade currency than Freo and know how to get it done. If all their KPD's stay healthy for the season they might be happy to move one on and we might be happy to take it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL. The exodus is just around the corner hey? :rolleyes:

O'Rourke, Plowman, Boyd, Tyson, Jaksch, Treloar and Sunshine hammering at the door. That's 7 first rounders off the top of my head. It would destroy any other club - see brisbane as an example.

The exodus already happened - it's just the AFL gave GWS enough coverage to ensure it could be mitigated with a deep sufficiency of draft picks. Should be little to no impact on you and there are arguably quite a few wins for GWS in those departures. It's still a massive walk out of early draft picks albeit for a variety of reasons. Very good work by AFL house who planned for it.

O'Rourke, Plowman, Boyd, Tyson, Jaksch, Treloar and Sunshine hammering at the door. That's 7 first rounders off the top of my head. It would destroy any other club - see brisbane as an example.

The exodus already happened - it's just the AFL gave GWS enough coverage to ensure it could be mitigated with a deep sufficiency of draft picks. Should be little to no impact on you and there are arguably quite a few wins for GWS in those departures. It's still a massive walk out of early draft picks albeit for a variety of reasons. Very good work by AFL house who planned for it.
Nice work there champ. You show zero understanding of how the Giants have gone about its list build given the AFL's plan failed miserably. Exodus has happened? I'm devastated:p

Nice work there champ. You show zero understanding of how the Giants have gone about its list build given the AFL's plan failed miserably. Exodus has happened? I'm devastated:p

Why would you be devastated when you've won most trades? Try reading what was posted rather than firing back assuming I'm having a crack...champ :rolleyes:

And your club for voting for it.

Wonder if the club wanted the coverage so they all drew straws and he got the short one.
I wouldn't imagine a short anything would give you a shot at CLEO bachelor of the year?

Anyway, it's no real honour to be nominated. Eddie McGuire was once nominated for it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back